90 credit question, be honest!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent29

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BE HONEST!!!!

Has anyone here gotten into dental school with 90 credits and only the prerequisites needed, not a bachelors?? for example nova doesn't require a bachelors and their GPA is 2.8 something..

Honest answer please!!

Members don't see this ad.

dent29 said:
BE HONEST!!!!

Has anyone here gotten into dental school with 90 credits and only the prerequisites needed, not a bachelors?? for example nova doesn't require a bachelors and their GPA is 2.8 something..

Honest answer please!!
In theory you can get in with out 90 credits, and the prerequisites done. You would be competing with students with baccalaureate degrees, and additional science classes. Why would a school want to accept you when they can take a more qualified candidate? When admissions get competitive, you need to make yourself stand out. What are you doing to make yourself a more attractive candidate than the competition?

dent29 said:
BE HONEST!!!!

Honest answer please!!

90 credits including prerequisites are the minimum requirements. Yes, u can get in if the GPA and DAT are good.
I don't think that u can get in Nova (or anywhere else) with a 2.8! Unless your dad knows the Dean or has been donating mucho dinero :D

Members don't see this ad :)
No degree here, about 105 credits. Make sure you apply early and have good stats.

dent29 said:
BE HONEST!!!!

Honest answer please!!

Even NYU wants a 3.5+ if you do not have a degree...so I highly doubt you can get in anywhere with no degree and a 2.8

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
No degree here, about 105 credits. Make sure you apply early and have good stats.

Thank you all :)

110 hrs....no degree

gpa = 3.9

dat = 23

We have a kid in our class who did it and got in at 19, But he's Doogie incarnate. think he's in top 5 and he's got hands.

dent29 said:
BE HONEST!!!!

Honest answer please!!

I know of a couple people that got in after three years of undergrad. I think they took an average of 30 to 32 credit hours a year, which is about right. So yeah it is very possible. I know one person at Creighton and one at U of Iowa. Then again I think these people had a 4.0 gpa or something pretty close to it.

No degree, 3.75 gpa, 21 DAT.

I did have interviewers mention that non-degree students were held to higher expectations. However, my numbers obviously arent off the chart. The one question that will always come up is why you want in with only 90 credit hours, and why you dont think a degree is important.

I pulled some strings at my undergrad university to be allowed into a ton of courses without taking any prereqs. I felt that the liberal arts prereqs werent necessary in my situation. Essentially, all i took in college were classes pertinent and relevant to the practice of dentistry. No extra crud.

My ultimate argument was that I was better prepared for dental school than my degreed counterparts. Every school I interviewed at agreed to some extent that I was as well prepared as degreed applicants.