90833 add-ons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in practice, have you had many patients come back to you and mention that they're paying double or some variation thereof with 90833 add-ons? I rarely hear about billing issues but figure I might if they're getting 2 bills.

I'm seeing patients for 30-minutes and am legitimately doing psychotherapy services. I feel a bit guilty at times billing for add-on codes, as I live in an area where folks often come from a long way to see me without much in terms of finances. That said, I'm going to have to get used to the idea, as I don't like churning patients and enjoy knowing them and providing therapy services.

It also feels a bit odd billing less for the patient with an intellectual disability where we're not necessarily doing much psychotherapy but a lot of counseling than with the higher functioning patient where therapy is involved for the same length appointment.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do therapy, bill for it. Apparently it's medicate fraud if you overcode or UNDERcode. At least that's my understanding as a resident. And the fee is about the same for a 99213 as it is for a 90833 so I could see why they'd be paying "double."