911 i need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idontknow1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT mid august and got my score this week. It's bad. I got a 19 (10V 5P 4B). I know it's a horrible breakdown. I knew it wasn't going to be good enough for MD but I was counting on DO. Here's a breakdown of everything

* GPAt= 3.5
*GPAs=3.47 or something
* a year and a half of volunteering in a hospital
*a year of research in neuroscience--name published and presented at conference
*a year of shadowing a doc in a clinic--Hands on experience with Radiology, Lab analyses, EKG's, drawing blood, etc...
* College honors science club
*4 great letters of rec available--- research prof, Ochem prof, shadowed doctor and head of volunteer dept at the hospital
*Red cross volunteer
*about to start volunteering at a shelter
* Graduated as a bio major this past june...currently in Gap year

I'm pretty confident in my GPA and EC's. I just don't know if my MCAT score is good enough for DO schools. Do not want to apply to the cari.
I really want to avoid taking the MCAt again but i feel like that's my only option at this point. Wondering if i could use this gap year (or two) to just boost my app..maybe ER scribe? EMT? Masters? Anything to avoid another stressful MCAT day.

I took the $2000 Kaplan course to study for the MCAt. Kaplan was great, I was just so nervous on test day it got the best of me.

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You're not going to get in with that MCAT. Adjust your study strategy.

Members don't see this ad :)
No MD or DO school will take you with a 19 and a 4 in bio. Concur with retaking.

I took my MCAT mid august and got my score this week. It's bad. I got a 19 (10V 5P 4B). I know it's a horrible breakdown. I knew it wasn't going to be good enough for MD but I was counting on DO. Here's a breakdown of everything

* GPAt= 3.5
*GPAs=3.47 or something
*a year of shadowing a doc in a clinic--Hands on experience with Radiology, Lab analyses, EKG's, drawing blood, etc...
*4 great letters of rec available--- research prof, Ochem prof, shadowed doctor and head of volunteer dept at the hospital
*Red cross volunteer

I'm pretty confident in my GPA and EC's. I just don't know if my MCAT score is good enough for DO schools. Do not want to apply to the cari.
I really want to avoid taking the MCAt again but i feel like that's my only option at this point. Wondering if i could use this gap year (or two) to just boost my app..maybe ER scribe? EMT? Masters? Anything to avoid another stressful MCAT day.

I took the $2000 Kaplan course to study for the MCAt. Kaplan was great, I was just so nervous on test day it got the best of me.

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!
The bright side is that you get 10 in VR. You can easily increase your scores in the other sections. Retake and aim to get 9 in BS/PS... As for now, you have no shot at DO with a 19 mcat...

You have zero chance at MD or DO at this time. Save your application dollars for now.

Noshie's Hope for those trying to get past an MCAT score in the teens or low 20's:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=774396

Does Kaplan still give a guarantee if you don't score greater than your baseline test?

If you retake in January, most DO programs will still consider your application if they know to expect a new score.

You have zero chance at MD or DO at this time. Save your application dollars for now.

Noshie’s Hope for those trying to get past an MCAT score in the teens or low 20's:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=774396

Does Kaplan still give a guarantee if you don't score greater than your baseline test?

If you retake in January, most DO programs will still consider your application if they know to expect a new score.

Yes I shouldn't have a problem with the Kaplan guarantee. I should get access to all the resources i had before. Test anxiety had a lot to do with it. At this point i will either take it in January and apply to DO's right away...or take it in March and apply to MD's by June 1st when the new cycle begins. Any advice on post bac or special masters programs? Looking into Touro in NY

Yes I shouldn't have a problem with the Kaplan guarantee. I should get access to all the resources i had before. Test anxiety had a lot to do with it. At this point i will either take it in January and apply to DO's right away...or take it in March and apply to MD's by June 1st when the new cycle begins. Any advice on post bac or special masters programs? Looking into Touro in NY

The guarantee is only valid if you attended all the classes.

Just an FYI if you apply with a 19 MCAT: my friend had a 19 as well. He applied MD and DO. He got two interviews for DO only: some school in Arizona, and Touro in NY. He got accepted only to the latter. This was a few years back, though, before Touro had a graduating class...

Don't even think about re-taking the MCAT until you figure out how to control your test-taking anxiety. Maybe some Clonazepam wil help. But if a high stake exam kills you like it did, you'll never make through interviews.

And definitely do NOT apply until these problems are solved and you have at least a high 20s score.

* GPAt= 3.5
*GPAs=3.47 or something
*Red cross volunteer

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!