!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpulayya

Gator Guy 1987
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which books do you get recommend for the MCAT? Pros/cons? Furthermore, do you guys recommend the Kaplan course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Princeton course and thought it was helpful, though I haven't gotten my score yet. Everything I've heard about Kaplan is that it's no good.

Most people on here aren't going to recommend prep courses due to their absurd costs and the fact that you still wind up doing most of the test prep on your own anyway. While both Kaplan and TPR have very nice prep materials that they only hand out to their students, you can find those materials second-hand in a lot of cases. They'll cost you more than retail-sold prep materials, but the cost will still be far less than what you'd pay to enroll in their overpriced prep courses.

As for books, I'd recommend:

Gen Chem - The Berkeley Review (TBR)
Orgo - TBR
Physics - TBR
Bio - Examkrackers for content review (if you're absolutely solid in bio) otherwise TBR or Princeton Review (TPR) if you need something more indepth. Use the TPR hyperlearning science workbook for bio passages; I wasn't a fan of TBR's passages and that feeling has been reinforced after taking the exam.
Verbal - Examkracker's 101 Passages in VR, TPRH verbal workbook, AAMC verbal self-assessment (you'll need all of these)

Also pick up the AAMC official guide to the MCAT. It has a FL's amount of passages in it, and the passages in it are the most representative of the actual exam than anything else out there (although the VR problems in it are a bit too easy). Really, anything made by the AAMC is worth buying.