A, B, C, or D when guessing on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which letter is the best for guessing?

• A

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • B

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • C

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • D

Votes: 14 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuteronomy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Behold, the MCAT is suddenly upon us and I seem to finish all the sections within the allocated time frame except the verbal.

I usually end up not finishing one whole passage on the verbal.

What letter would you choose when guessing the remaining 7 or so questions?

Please take the poll?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought 'C' is last letter you would choose

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Deuteronomy
I thought 'C' is last letter you would choose

:confused:

Well that shows what you know....are you sure you're ready for this test?

:p

Reactions: 1 user
B or C, choose one and stick with it. That's what I did. I filled in the last section of verbal each time with all B's or C's since I am a very slow reader. It worked sometimes I got a 10 or 11.

thanks kevin,

My Kaplan teacher for the Verbal edge course said to NOT choose C cause the MCAT folks are on to it. I agree with you though that B is a good selection.

Originally posted by Deuteronomy
thanks kevin,

My Kaplan teacher for the Verbal edge course said to NOT choose C cause the MCAT folks are on to it. I agree with you though that B is a good selection.

Kaplan teachers are complete idiots.

I'm just kidding I teach at Kaplan.

Do not pick B either. MCAT people are smarter than that. They know that you know that they think you will pick all Cs and switch to Bs so they will purposely make Bs and Cs the wrong answers. Your safe bet is to pick D.

They know after C and B, A seems like a nice letter that most people will pick. However, no one would pick the dreaded D because it just sounds bad so they will 9 times out of 10 make that the right answer.

This reminds me of the scene in "the princess bride" where the guy has to pick between the two cups of potion, both of which have poison. There are a zillion reasons why one choice or the other should or should not be the best guess.

On a related note. In nearly every single MCAT question you can eliminate at least one answer. Even if you have no idea what the question is, oftentimes the four answer choices will be three similar answers and one different one. Usually the different one is wrong. I think that the situation of having to completely guess is so rare that you guys shouldnt even bother thinking about it. There are more important things to worry about, such as actually studying for your MCAT rather than thinking how to guess!

In the time you took to read this thread, you probably couldve have gained enough knowledge to avoid guessing on one question! GO STUDY!

D for Desperation.

Definitely D, and A will be your LAST choice.

OK, here's why: Premeds are aim for A's...so after years of kissing professors' asses and screwing other people over for those A's, of course A's will be the obvious choice.

D, however, is what all premeds fear...

MCAT people know how to play psychological games with us...so D's definitely the most probably answer :thumbup:

But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy's?

Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

You've made your decision then?

Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Wait till I get going! Where was I?

Australia.

Yes -- Australia, and you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

You're just stalling now.

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong. So, you could have put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard which means you must have studied. And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

You're trying to trick me into giving away something -- it won't work --

It has worked -- you've given everything away -- I know where the poison is.

Then make your choice.

I will. And I choose --
-- what in the world can that be?

Or in other words, why don't you try letter 'E'?

Members don't see this ad :)
ABBA CADABA over and over again...it's a magical test taking incantation

Someone posted above that you should chose one letter and stick with it the entire test. THe MCAT has equal amounts of each letter as an answer, so if you use more than one then you could be in trouble by always picking the wrong one. Someone I know did the exact probablity of either way, and it came out to be best to keep one letter as the I-Don't-Know answer. As far as which one, it really doesn't matter because each is distributed equally in the test.

Originally posted by hmno82
Someone posted above that you should chose one letter and stick with it the entire test. THe MCAT has equal amounts of each letter as an answer, so if you use more than one then you could be in trouble by always picking the wrong one. Someone I know did the exact probablity of either way, and it came out to be best to keep one letter as the I-Don't-Know answer. As far as which one, it really doesn't matter because each is distributed equally in the test.

Agreed, I seriously doubt the MCAT people are trying to screw the guessers out there. There are going to be a random distribution of letters for the correct answer.
But like exmike said you can always eliminate at least one wrong answer, and I could usually find two. You should focus more on how to make educated guesses since that will really help your score. Educated guessing will take you from an 8 to a 10+, random guessing will take you from a 6 to a 7. (That's my opinion anyway, but it worked for me)

Someone should go through AMCAS 1-7 and do an analysis to determine the most used letter for a correct answer. This is assuming that past trends are followed today, of course. If you have the answer sheets in electronic format, you could probably even import that information into MS Excel and easily come up with the numbers. Any volunteers. :)

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
ABBA CADABA over and over again...it's a magical test taking incantation

LOL, I like your idea :clap:

Originally posted by Slickness
Do not pick B either. MCAT people are smarter than that. They know that you know that they think you will pick all Cs and switch to Bs so they will purposely make Bs and Cs the wrong answers. Your safe bet is to pick D.

They know after C and B, A seems like a nice letter that most people will pick. However, no one would pick the dreaded D because it just sounds bad so they will 9 times out of 10 make that the right answer.

Brilliant strategy. Except I'm sure the MCAT people are smart enough to know that people just guess one letter generally when they run out of time. I wonder if they would be smart enough to make all the letters equally likely. What a novel concept. :wow:

Originally posted by exmike
This reminds me of the scene in "the princess bride" where the guy has to pick between the two cups of potion, both of which have poison. There are a zillion reasons why one choice or the other should or should not be the best guess.

Hilarious! That's EXACTLY what I thought when I first read that post. So I can CLEARLY not choose the cup in front of ME...

My understanding of the system is that after the test is written, a computer program is used to insure truly random distribution of correct answers, resulting in an equal proportion of correct answers of each letter, so the advice to pick a letter an go with it is probably, but still attempt to eliminate wrong answers if you have time.

The answer is simple. You can't pick the "i don't know letter" until you get to the exam. Just use your keen observation skills and notice which letters you are choosing for the questions you know. When you notice a particular letter that's not getting enough love, then choose that as your "I don't know" letter.

I just looked at the official guide and the ratios of answers are 20.8% A, 23.3% B, 28.3% C, 27.5% D.

Status
Not open for further replies.