A basic science research career with path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enkidu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of time has been spent on this board discussing the job market for private practice pathology, and at times I've been a little alarmed about entering the field...

But I'm not remotely interested in private practice pathology. I was wondering about the difficulties for basic research oriented pathologists in securing faculty positions, startup funds, and balancing their research and diagnostic work.

supposing that an MD/PhD pathologist goes to a top-tier residency, how confident can they be that they will be offered a faculty position at a research institution?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that you look at the list of alumni from the programs you're looking into. Plus, most of the MD/Phd's from my alma mater went and did Post doc's after residency and then went on to be faculty at academic institutions. So, I think it's about finding a program that will be have opportunities in your field of interest, and that will help you get the post-doc position...unless you already have an RO1/K08 under your belt.
As I'm not in the research/basic science field, I'm sure there will be others who will post more in depth information...

A lot of time has been spent on this board discussing the job market for private practice pathology, and at times I've been a little alarmed about entering the field...

But I'm not remotely interested in private practice pathology. I was wondering about the difficulties for basic research oriented pathologists in securing faculty positions, startup funds, and balancing their research and diagnostic work.

supposing that an MD/PhD pathologist goes to a top-tier residency, how confident can they be that they will be offered a faculty position at a research institution?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You can be very confident you will be offered SOME faculty position at SOME research institution. But not all positions are created equal, so the question is how difficult will it be to get what you want, which is a majority of your time doing research with a minor to non-existent clinical service, at the place you want, with a supportive chairman, collaborators, etc. Lots of variables, in particular the subspecialty interest. But these issues are similar for any clinical field, although you are more likely to find the right environment in pathology than in something more service oriented like anesthesiology. If you have grant support (K08) by the time you are looking for a position it will be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
In reality, it is exceedingly rare that a pathologist can sign out any meaningful service and run a quality basic science lab. Most departments, regardless of who is boarded in what or has this or that training, are split up where the clinical folks do the sign out and the research folks stay in the lab.

Not to rain on your parade though. It may happen for you. But it isn't common.

I know quite a few faculty who have"basic science" labs and sign out an AP organ 8-12 weeks a year as part of their deal.

There are also many who oversee a clinical cp lab or who interpret cp tests like coag or spep while running a basic science lab.

There are all kinds od different possibilities.

In reality, it is exceedingly rare that a pathologist can sign out any meaningful service and run a quality basic science lab. Most departments, regardless of who is boarded in what or has this or that training, are split up where the clinical folks do the sign out and the research folks stay in the lab.

Not to rain on your parade though. It may happen for you. But it isn't common.

Really? I thought that this was the norm in academic neuropathology.

Don't get me wrong. There are some who do it at Hopkins, Brigham, etc. But it is most definitely not the norm for most academic departments in America. Most attendings who sign out cases do clinically focused research projects, but not a full basic science research lab. There is too much to keep up with on both ends (jack of all trades and master of none, etc). The above poster who knows "quite a few" is at a top tier academic institution and can probably count them on one hand or close to it.

Again, I am not saying that you won't be one of those that does it. It is just that isn't the norm at all.

Pathology subspecialties are non-uniform when it comes to these kind of things. I agree that it probably IS the norm in neuropath. All our neuropath attendings here have grant-supported labs and sign out.
Hemepath is another place where you can see R01-supported faculty who also sign out. Probably true for most subspecialties.
I think the problem comes with general surgical pathology sign-out. There is way too much to keep up with. At my institution, most of the clinical staff that sign out general cases do only clinical research. There ARE exceptions, however. There are a handful who will sign-out 1-2 months of the year. There are also a LOT of attendings who do R01-type research and their clinical responsibility begins and ends at the autopsy service.

in the end you have to chose just one to be great.

From what I have seen, it is do-able, but you need to limit your clinical work to a small niche like neuropath, renal, autopsy, etc. I would stick with a low-volume area like the above. Then if you can make your research program complementary to your clinical work, you can build a reputation as an expert and more successfully compete for funding.