A C+ on your transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samaRAWR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! much to my disappointment, I ended up with a C+ this semester (freshman, 1st semester) in Dramatic Literature 212. how badly is this going to affect my chances of getting into a good medical school? (Baylor, Hopkins...) If ultimately, my cum GPA is very strong, (3.8, 3.9) will this C+ really matter? Thank you for your patients!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
one more thing-i've heard somewhere that medical schools only look at your transcript after they've accepted you. Before acceptance, they only see your GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc. is this true? thanks!

No, it's not true. The AMCAS application form includes a transcript with all your post-high school courses on it. They definitely look at it before your interview, as many here on SDN report being asked about low grades in specific subjects. After you are accepted, you are expected to provide a final transcript from your current school, to show you've graduated (if required), completed all the prerequisites, and that you completed your final semesters with reasonable grades.

thanks so much, mobius! you've been a great help!