A Countdown to Becoming Money-savvy

While this article has good intentions, the recommended reading list and limited advice given is crummy.

There's not a single mention of savings rate (probably the most important and controllable factor in building one's net worth) or avoiding the trap of lifestyle inflation that afflicts most doctors just starting out in practice. Or the fact that most "financial advisers" are deceptive insurance salesmen whose sole purpose is to take your hard earned money while providing services of no value.

Suze Orman, a former insurance salesman posing as a financial guru, is a fraud (google it for details) whose advice is useless to all but the most naive of investors. Simply put, if you're smart enough to get into medical/dental school, you should not be listening to Suze Orman.

If you want good, useful advice on finance management, then two of the best resources available are bogleheads.org and whitecoatinvestor.com. Start there, and if you need more resources, both websites have reading lists that are worthy of your time.

I agree with 90 diopter.

I was hoping for an insightful, no-nonsense article about becoming money-savvy as it relates to the education, career, and lifestyle of a doctor. What I got was a few sentences about some books to read and a bunch of ads for companies that don't really have any interest in my financial well-being.

So here's my two cents: Check out Dave Ramsey. His books, Financial peace and The Total Money Makover, are some of the best sources of sound financial advice for those looking to get out of debt, build wealth, and live a life where money is a tool rather than a stumbling block.