A couple of pre-req questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knifewrench

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a couple of questions about things that may/may not negatively affect a future med school application.

Personally, I took the minimum amount of math/science in the later half of high school, and because of that, I really do not have a good foundation in those subjects. Would it look bad if I took some lower-level courses to build a foundation and kind of "ramp up" to the pre-med req classes such as physics, chem/ochem, etc.?

Also, does your full-time/part-time status in undergrad matter much? As an example, if I took physics along with one or two other basic/easy classes for a semester, would med schools look at that as a negative or not even think twice?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Would it look bad if I took some lower-level courses to build a foundation and kind of "ramp up" to the pre-med req classes such as physics, chem/ochem, etc.?
No, it will not look bad.

Also, does your full-time/part-time status in undergrad matter much?

No.

As an example, if I took physics along with one or two other basic/easy classes for a semester, would med schools look at that as a negative or not even think twice?

No. Keeping a good balance each semester or quarter on difficult/easy classes will help you obtain better grades. However, adcoms might raise a brow if all you do is take easy classes to boost up your GPA.

i disagree with the second "no" in the above response. unless you are working a demanding full-time job, you should stay full-time status during college (i.e. 12 units or more).

edit: excluding summers

Members don't see this ad :)
i disagree with the second "no" in the above response. unless you are working a demanding full-time job, you should stay full-time status during college (i.e. 12 units or more).

edit: excluding summers

well, it sounds like you're a freshman, and if you have a good reason for starting off part time, status while an underclassman isn't a huge deal. But you'll probably be better off taking full time, 12 hours ain't that bad. Just take some easly electives or something if you're worried about adjusting to college, it'll suck having to pay more and stay in schoole longer, or overload in later semesters if you don't have a really good reason to not be full time right now.

I wouldn't drop below 12 hours at all. A full time job is not a big deal either. Med School admissions are looking for dedication to your interest in the career that you are pursuing. To be honest I would not drop below 15 hours, that way you are showing the admissions that you can handle the work load of medical school.

Would it look bad if I took some lower-level courses to build a foundation and kind of "ramp up" to the pre-med req classes such as physics, chem/ochem, etc.?

Ummm..most of the pre-reqs ARE low level science classes, with the exception of orgo, so I'm not sure how much foundation you can really build up before taking them. Keep in mind, most classes begin with a review and don't assume too much basic knowledge. Generally, they're sort of a catch all type class to get everyone on the same level for next year. You'll be at a disadvantage if you didn't take much science in high school but there's not much you can do aside from study hard and maybe review in advance. I've known people that took the "prebio" and"prechem" type courses and most said they were a waste of time that did nothing to prepare you for the actual course.