A couple of questions

m19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm going to be a freshman in college as a BME major on the premed track, and I'll be signing up for classes soon. I recently took the placement test for math and placed out of calc 1 and 2; however I only took AP Calc AB in high school. Should I skip calc 2, or would it be too hard for me? Should I be worried that BME would affect my gpa negatively like others say? Also, what are some extracurricular activities that I should do in my freshman year during college for premed?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

1. For math I would suggest not taking calculus 2 at all. Most medical schools only need 6 credit hours of math as a prerequisite. If you passed the AP calculus AB test, then you should have 3-4 credit hours of math under your belt already. I suggest taking statistics. Honestly, there is just no need for any tougher math classes outside of calc I and stats.

2. BME and Biochem are two of the hardest science majors at my school, and students in these programs do have lower GPAs. If you are gunning for medical school, I suggest not doing BME. There's absolutely no need for you to take those hard major specific BME classes and risk a lower GPA.

3. As for EC's, I suggest joining all the pre-med/pre-medicine clubs/honor societies, and try and go for a leadership position in these clubs later down the line in your undergraduate career. Start at a clinical volunteering site as well as a non-clinical volunteering site as early as possible, and stay consistent with these throughout your undergraduate career; medical schools love commitment. Other than that, just join whatever clubs interest you.

Good luck in college.

Precalc AB is equivalent to Calc 1 while BC is Calc 1 & 2. I'd definitely NOT skip calc 2 and depending on how you did in AB as well as the rigor of the school consider retaking calc 1. Med schools don't like to see AP credit most of the time anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a good time retaking classes I placed out of. Give yourself the GPA bump! It won't be complete review, APs aren't actually the equivalent of college courses, no matter what they say.

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely retake all the science credits if you tested out of any. I think most schools require you do this if you are a science major anyways.

I disagree about the math classes, however. If you do a minor or decide to double major, there is no need to waste any room retaking calc I or taking calc II. Like I said, most medical schools only require 6 credit hours of math as a prerequisite; your science prerequisites are way more important. It is also an unnecessary risk in my opinion. Calc I and II are usually four credit hour classes, so if you mess up, your AMCAS GPA could take a huge hit.