A couple of questions..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittygirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I still have some time before I apply to pharm school, but how many schools should I apply to?? I know it depends on the person, but what is a "safe" number?

2) How do you calculate your Science gpa? Are math classes included?

3) How do you guys figure out what schools to apply to?? I'm pretty much open to applying anywhere in the US, so I was researching all of them and its turning out to be quite overwhelming. There are so many schools in the US, how did you guys narrow down your search?

My stats:
- gpa: 3.5ish (i dont know my science gpa, but its probably lower)
- pcat: taking it in january
- interned in biomed for one summer
- interned in hospital pharmacy for one summer
- currently working at a pharmacy at a hospital (pharm tech)
- volunteered at hospital/helped nurses 50 hrs+
- leadership positions in cultural organization
- doing stuff for service frat

Thanks! Let me know what you think

Members don't see this ad.

1) I still have some time before I apply to pharm school, but how many schools should I apply to?? I know it depends on the person, but what is a "safe" number?

2) How do you calculate your Science gpa? Are math classes included?

3) How do you guys figure out what schools to apply to?? I'm pretty much open to applying anywhere in the US, so I was researching all of them and its turning out to be quite overwhelming. There are so many schools in the US, how did you guys narrow down your search?

My stats:
- gpa: 3.5ish (i dont know my science gpa, but its probably lower)
- pcat: taking it in january
- interned in biomed for one summer
- interned in hospital pharmacy for one summer
- currently working at a pharmacy at a hospital (pharm tech)
- volunteered at hospital/helped nurses 50 hrs+
- leadership positions in cultural organization
- doing stuff for service frat

Thanks! Let me know what you think

the problem is that u have no pcat scores to base anything on. in that case u should start everything now and submit it to the schools (dont wait for pcat). i would say 5 to 10 schools is fair but thats me. ur stats r hard to judge with no pcat. my last post was about artificially inflated GPA's so its hard to judge ur gpa by not knowing the classes u took.

well i wont be applying til next year, but im just already excited about the application process. ive taken bio, chem, orgo, calc, a bunch of bio electives, and currently taking physics.. ive gotten a's and b's in those classes. but yeah thanks for replying.

now how do i decide where to go? how did u guys pick the schools that youre applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
well i wont be applying til next year, but im just already excited about the application process. ive taken bio, chem, orgo, calc, a bunch of bio electives, and currently taking physics.. ive gotten a's and b's in those classes. but yeah thanks for replying.

now how do i decide where to go? how did u guys pick the schools that youre applying to?

You will almost always stand a better chance at being accepted to a public institution in your state. If your state doesn't have any pharmacy schools, there is probably some sort of agreement with neighboring states to consider you as an in-state applicant.

That being said, you can get a lot more information on the AACP website (http://www.aacp.org/) or from PharmCas (www.pharmcas.org). Once you've gotten a general idea of which schools are in which state, go to the individual schools' websites and click around to see if you'd be interested in attending there.

Private schools are almost always more expensive than in-state publics, but if you want to go to a public institution out of state, you'll probably pay as much as you would at a private school. Most public institutions place a priority on in-state applicants, so it's always best to check in-state schools first.

New schools that haven't achieved full accreditation are generally easier to get into, because the competition just isn't there. However, going to a new school is a risk because it's not yet accredited (they can't get accredited until they graduate the first class).

Also, use the Search function of this site to look for personalized information about schools from students who attend them.

Good luck!

New schools that haven't achieved full accreditation are generally easier to get into, because the competition just isn't there. However, going to a new school is a risk because it's not yet accredited (they can't get accredited until they graduate the first class).

don't need to sound rude...but i can't help it :laugh: to edit this

New schools that haven't achieved full accreditation are generally easier to get into, depends on who is applying, because the competition just isn't there, not sure of the statistic to really quantify this. However, going to a new school is a risk because it's not yet fully accredited (they can't get full accredited [ion] until they graduate the first class). "Graduates of a class designated as having candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of a program that has accreditation status. (http://www.acpe-accredit.org/news/default.asp)"

i'd like to add that eelo is right about the 'risk' associated with new school, if any new school that open without getting any accreditation (i.e. pre-candidate), then it's not a school, it's a scam! That is what eelo is referring to. Every school MUST go through accreditation to become a 'non-risk' school........so 'fully' edited

I picked my schools based a few things. First I made sure I had all the pre-reqs or could get the pre-reqs done by the time I graduate. Then I thought about if I would want live there. I also looked at the curriculum and NAPLEX passing rates. I felt I got a pretty good gut feeling for a school by looking at their website.

Well ok. UIC is the public school in my state. Is that a good school? I know their undergrad isn't excellent, but I don't know where their pharmacy school stands. Which school is better: UIC or Midwestern? I know Midwestern is more expensive.