SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

A day in the life of a Neurosugical Resident

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by abmuk, Apr 15, 2007.

1. abmuk

abmuk 5+ Year Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Greetings,

I didn't see a Neurosurgical Resident forum so this is the closest I think that I can get to it.

I have a long, long way to go but my passion is the human brain.

What is a day like in the life of a neurosurgical resident, neurosurgeon?

Any advice for a pre-med student soon to be Biology major/French minor?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out Physician 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2002
    NY
    If you need a car mechanic, and can't find one in a phone book, do you call a plumber?

4. mehamo

mehamo Guest

Mar 12, 2007
    I was once in your shoes as a pre-med with hopes to become an orthopedic surgeon.

After entering medical school and realizing that orthopods were a bunch of testosterone-overloaded jerks, I make my switch to my original love of the neurosciences.

Out of curiousity.....how much of your passion for neurosurgery is based on a romanticized view of the specialty (and a need to boost your own ego) and how much of your passion is based on pure interest?

If you really want to know the brain and the nervous system, become a neurologist.

my two cents

5. Nerdoscience

Nerdoscience Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2006
    I think we forget that the average second year medical student, let alone a pre-med, doesn;t know what neurosurgeons and neurologists really are.

6. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    of course we do, they're brain doctors, M I RITE? lololololoolol

7. lumbering

lumbering Banned Banned

Mar 29, 2007
    We sit around in giant comfy leather chairs while beautiful women gawk at our nametags and feed us grapes. Occassionally, I open up a skull or two for nostalgia's sake.