A day in the life....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saw a pt today who has been on methylin 20 qam for years to treat ADD. Pt was recently seen by a neurologist and asked for a refill of her "methylene". The Dr. looked it up and said she should be on 200 mg, and wrote her a script for methylene 200 mg qam, and referred her to my clinic for a psychopharm consult and f/u. By the time I saw her she was blue...I mean literally blue..lips, nail beds etc.
I did some checking before she left, and found the simple yet scary mistake that was made. Look up Methylin and Methylene in any good pharm program (epocrates) or just google them, and you will see....WOW!

Members don't see this ad.

psisci said:
Saw a pt today who has been on methylin 20 qam for years to treat ADD. Pt was recently seen by a neurologist and asked for a refill of her "methylene". The Dr. looked it up and said she should be on 200 mg, and wrote her a script for methylene 200 mg qam, and referred her to my clinic for a psychopharm consult and f/u. By the time I saw her she was blue...I mean literally blue..lips, nail beds etc.
I did some checking before she left, and found the simple yet scary mistake that was made. Look up Methylin and Methylene in any good pharm program (epocrates) or just google them, and you will see....WOW!

Wow, that is pretty scary. PsiSci, thanks for posting, its nice to hear from someone who's older and has experience in the field. Can you post a little bit about what kind of place you work/what kind of work you do? P.S. Where are you in CA?