Medical A Dean’s Perspective on What Makes Great Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Podcast interview with Dr. Sunny Nakae.jpg

Words of advice for premeds and medical school applicants [Show summary]​

Dr. Sunny Nakae discusses CUSM’s approach to training the next generation of great physicians and shares wisdom from her book, Premed Prep: Advice from a Medical School Admissions Dean.

Are you curious about CUSM? Read on for info about this new program and for valuable tips for all medical school applicants [Show notes]​

How do you prepare to become a physician? How do you prepare to apply to medical school? Our guest has written the book on the topic, after two decades in medical school admissions.

Today’s guest, Dr. Sunny Nakae, is the Senior Associate Dean for Equity, Inclusion, Diversity, and Community Partnerships at the California University of Science and Medicine School of Medicine, one of the country’s newer medical schools. Dr. Nakae earned her bachelor’s and MSW from the University of Utah, and then her PhD in higher ed at Loyola University of Chicago. She started working in medical school admissions in 2006 as Director of Diversity at Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine, moved to Loyola Stritch for six years as Assistant Dean for Admissions, Recruitment, and Student Life, and then another two years at UC Riverside, again as Associate Dean, and then last year joined CUSM as Senior Associate Dean for Equity, Inclusion, Diversity, and Community Partnerships. All that experience is reason enough to invite her to Admissions Straight Talk. However, I also want to discuss her fantastic book, Premed Prep: Advice from a Medical School Admissions Dean.

Can you give us an overview of the CUSM MD program, focusing on its more distinctive elements? [2:18]​

California University of Science and Medicine School of Medicine is a community-based medical school. That means that we are really focused on training in a lot of different sites. We’re focused on primary care. Our main affiliation is Arrowhead Regional, but we also have sites at St. Bernadine’s and other places. We’re in inland Southern California, so about 90 minutes/a little under two hours from the coast. It’s a very underserved and economically divested region of California, so our goal is to produce more physicians that want to train in our region, and stay in our region, and take care of the people that live here. We have early clinical experiences, where students are placed with preceptors and clinics, outpatient settings, so they get very comfortable with outpatient and preventative care and ongoing clinical home settings.

Another distinctive element that we’re developing is we’ve recently changed our service learning into something called Change. Students will have a similar placement with a community partner that they do on the clinical side through the Care program. Care and Change together are going to create this opportunity for students to actually learn about structural determinants of health, and what our director calls health adjacent services. It’s a way for us to give back as a school, which is important for us. We want to make a departure from the typical pedagogical models that use a colonialist approach of, “We’re going to come in and do what we want on our terms, and demand certain things of you, and impose our learning objectives on you, and then go away. And then a new group of students is going to come in and do the same thing.”

The students are going to be put into college groups and be assigned to a community partner. Let’s pretend it’s Harm Reduction in southern California. They’re going to work with this community partner or nonprofit organization or educational group. The student’s job is to learn about what the community partner’s goals are, what their strengths are, how they can actually leverage the talents and gifts they bring to the school as students to actually help our partners achieve their goals. The learning is real learning, the contributions are real contributions, and we’re really helping. That’s why we call it Change, right? It’s not a service project; it’s a contribution to Change that is co-directed and led by our community partners.

We’re hoping to have those folks come and lecture to our students, presenting their expertise, these community partners as experts who can really teach future physicians how to navigate aspects of the community that can be really challenging, like housing insecurity, food insecurity, employment, immigration challenges, mistreatment, abuse, policing conduct, all that kind of stuff. I’m excited about it, because I know students crave very much to make a difference, and go into medicine because they care deeply about community, and then they’re totally disconnected from community; it’s extracurricular in medical school. We want to give back through our educational process by leveraging the strengths that our students have and the passion that they have as part of the curriculum. Everyone will do it, and they’ll do it in teams in their college groups, and hopefully also be part of a leadership structure that will help us continue to maintain continuity through our community partners, lessening the burden on our community partners for onboarding us and teaching us how to be in their spaces.

So Care is more about clinical exposure, and Change is more about nonclinical community service. Is that a fair characterization? [5:56]​

Yes. Some of the Change sites might, like Harm Reduction for example, have clinical elements to them. People exchange things, but they’re not providing medical care. So yes, all the Care sites are primary care sites, and then the Change sites are health-adjacent and could be any number of things that contribute to structural determinants of health.

Are the students still having this exposure, whether it’s through Change or Care, despite COVID? How has COVID affected the non-didactic portions of the curriculum at CUSM? [6:30]​

We’ve had to change a little bit for this year. I joined CUSM in October of 2020, so the faculty had already done a lot of adaptations due to COVID. We’re prospectively revamping our service learning, because a lot of it ended up being virtual. We gave students anti-racism, anti-oppression reading lists, asked if they wanted to do book clubs, and they’ve done programs. Some of our students have helped with vaccine rollouts and vaccine education, trying to do outreach to think about improving community capacity to get people the care that they need. We’ve had students share those projects as part of it, as much as our post-COVID and post-vaccination world is allowing. But a lot of stuff was done more virtually this year than what we really would’ve preferred. The clinical skills we ended up doing in small groups, because it’s pretty hard to teach those remotely. But we’re hoping to get back out there, and I know the students are quite eager to continue their clinical outreach, and street medicine, and other aspects that they do in our county.

Let’s turn to the application for CUSM. Are your secondaries screened in any way before they’re sent out, or are they automatically sent out? [7:48]​

I don’t think our secondaries are screened, and I was trying to look at the answer to this. We send them to verified applicants, because we get so many applications. We got 2,000 or so. We just recruited our fourth class, so the class of 2025 is our fourth class. We’re now at a full complement. We graduate our first class next year. We went from getting a couple thousand applications to this year, where we’re well over 6,000 applications.

What do you hope to learn from the secondary that you don’t learn in the primary? [8:27]​

One of the things that we are adding for the coming year as part of my role in equity, inclusion and diversity is synchronizing and implementing equity practice across faculty, staff, and student areas. We have some equity practice and anti-racism questions that will be on our applications to join as staff that are in our faculty search processes and that are also going to be on our secondary. We’re interested in a person’s previous experience and/or openness or willingness to learn about life experiences, identities, and challenges that have been different from their own. We want to assess a person’s openness and willingness to engage in that learning, because we have a goal to be and to continually strive to be an anti-racist institution, and that requires universal engagement in equity practice. Hopefully students will take the opportunity to share with us in those questions that will be added to our supplemental for the coming admissions cycle. Our master’s in biomedical sciences program, which is like our postbac program, also has the questions. The rubric is the same across all of those constituencies, because I think in a professional school, everyone can be held accountable and sort of respond to how they are doing these things, and how they think about this in their professional journey.

How would you address concerns that CUSM is a new program and so far has only preliminary LCME accreditation? [9:52]

There are different phases of accreditation for the Liaison Committee for Medical Education, the LCME. You apply and say, “Hey, we’re thinking about becoming a school,” and they say, “Okay, we’re going to allow you to submit an application,” or not. And then you submit your application to become a school, and you get provisional accreditation, which means, “Okay, we’re going to let you submit the full docket of things, and you’re not actually allowed to recruit or do anything.” You’re allowed to tell everyone, “Hey we’re starting a school,” but you can’t do anything else. So once you actually pass your provisional accreditation, you get preliminary accreditation, which is what we have. The LCME comes back much more frequently in your early phases of developing a school to check on your policies, but there’s a lot of aspects that they can’t do a final review on until you have a graduating class, right? How did you do, what are you training, etc.

We have these continual processes, and I feel like we meet every week. We have a Dean of Compliance and Accreditation, Dr. Seki. He’s amazing and galvanizes all of us around this planning. So we are accredited; we’re allowed to recruit, graduate, train students. Even if something went wrong with our accreditation, students who are at the school will be considered graduates, and then moving forward we wouldn’t be allowed to admit more students.

I’ve been part of several site visits for LCME. I have either good luck or bad luck, I guess: When I was in Utah, we did an accreditation visit. I was at Northwestern for eight years and caught the front end and the back end, literally walked into accreditation, and then had to do it again right before I left. And then Loyola actually did accreditation while I was there, and UCR’s in the middle of accreditation. I don’t know if it’s a blessing or a curse, but I keep landing in places where accreditation is on the table.

Having been part of our discussions now for the last six months, I’m confident in our ability to meet the requirements, and I think we’re doing an exceptional job, and really trying to innovate and do things differently. That’s what I love about CUSM. It’s why I chose to join: there’s such an openness to new ideas, and such an openness and willingness to improve. We’ve started a lot of equity practice and engagement around equity, inclusion, and diversity, and it’s been great to work with our community and have it be part of what we’re trying to shift and shape in inclusive culture.

Right now, in May, some people have accepted offers, and some people have outstanding offers. You’re presumably drawing from your waitlist. How do you view letters of intent or correspondence from waitlisted applicants? [12:40]​

I would think positively. I’m not the admissions dean at CUSM, but I’ve been involved in admissions at a lot of schools, and I don’t think it ever hurts. I say this in my book. I don’t think it ever hurts to advocate for yourself, right? To professionally let people know where you are. We don’t know anything, so if we have silence, we might assume you’re really interested, or not. The longer the season goes past the drop date, April 30th, the more certain the admissions deans want to be that if they reach out to an applicant and make an offer, that that applicant will accept because we are always eager to fill our classes and to get our classes seated. Letting people know, “Hey, I’m still interested,” or, “I have another offer but you’re still my number one choice. I’m holding out,” it’s helpful. A small update about, “These were my grades from last semester,” or, “I’ve continued to work in such-and-such community organization,” or, “I’m working on a manuscript,” just small little snippets of what you’ve been doing is helpful, I think. It can’t hurt, unless you do as one of my applicants at Stritch did one year and literally sent an email every day. I finally had to help them recognize, “Okay, you might be thinking that this is you being really persistent, but actually we get hundreds of emails a day and this is outside of the bounds of professional behavior.” The applicant said, “Oh, I’m really sorry.” And I thought, “Good that we had this chat!”

I have, as you know, I have a chapter on professionalism in my book because I thought we need to be much more explicit about this. I love millennials, Gen Z, gen Y. I love working with students. You probably can tell from how I write about them. And I do think that we need to be more explicit, rather than this whole, “You should know better,” attitude. People’s learning modalities socially are really different than they used to be, right? We have to take that into consideration and get outside of our own heads sometimes. I wanted to present a little bit about how we see you when something like that happens. When you bring your mom to interview day, we sort of scratch our heads a little. These are just the sort of things that if we can’t add it up, we tend to go away from it, versus things that we understand or interpret, which we tend to be much more in favor of. That’s the nature of bias and how it all works, but I thought it would be helpful.

Originally, the title for the book was Behind the Admissions Office Door. I wanted to peel back that curtain and help applicants understand how their behaviors are interpreted and how they’re going to be viewed. Though with the mom coming to interview day, not every parent gets that professional context, you know? We didn’t know if they had driven together and there just wasn’t anywhere else for them to sit. They could’ve hung out in any number of waiting areas, away from right outside our door all day. One of my staff was like, “Maybe they’re in the witness protection program. It’s not really their mom.” My staff was like, “Do you want lunch?” At Loyola, we’re such a warm place and such a hospitable place, and it was just so odd. We just wondered, how’s this person going to do? For interview day for a professional program, it’s just really a strange practice.

COVID has affected lots of things in the admissions process, and one of the things I think it most affected was interviews. I think all medical schools are having virtual interviews this year. Next year, public health policies permitting, do you plan to go back to in person interviews, or do you plan to stick with the virtual ones? [16:27]​

I don’t know what our committee’s going to do. There’s a lot that I like about online interviewing. I think it goes to show you that medical education is just so slow to change. There’s certain ideas that are sacrosanct, that we just cannot let go of. People so vehemently felt, “You need to get a feel for the person; you can’t do that over a virtual interview,” because there have been times when I’ve had people halfway across the world that just couldn’t make it to their interview day. There are also applicants who don’t apply to as many places or turn down interviews because they can’t afford to go, or aren’t able to go as early in the season as they should because they don’t have the money, right? There’s a lot of equity implications to how we do this, and almost every dean I ever talked to, and committee members too, said, “No, we want to lay eyes on this person. We want to be in their physical presence.”

Then COVID came, and everyone said, “Okay, we figured it out.” And then we were all forced to do it. All of a sudden, we said, “It’s actually not that bad, and there’s aspects of it that we like.” I don’t think we’re always going to be only selecting people this way, but there might be things we revisit, or there might be other modalities. I know a lot of deans are really concerned about offering both, because we feel like one or the other is a more fair application of how to do it. You might have a bias built in; “Well, this person was really invested so they showed up in person,” that kind of thing. But I hope a lot of schools do keep the virtual interviews, because I think while they introduce different kinds of bias, the socioeconomic burden of interviewing can be in the thousands for some applicants, depending on where they live and how they travel.

I’d like to turn to your book, Premed Prep: Advice from a Medical School Admissions Dean. Early in the book, you wrote, “My goal with this book is to shift the paradigm from, ‘What do I need to get into medical school,’ to, ‘What kind of person do I need to be in order to become a physician?'” Why is this shift necessary? [18:29]​

That’s the crux of the book. When I work with students, there is such a worry about, “How am I going to stack up? How are my resume, and all these elements and experiences of certain types, going to be received?” There’s this element of competition that really undermines joy, but also authenticity. “Oh, well you’re doing Relay For Life? I guess I better do Relay For Life. Oh, you joined the Honor Society? I guess I better.” People feel this benchmarking of themselves with each other, when none of that really matters when you’re face to face with a patient in one of their most vulnerable moments. That’s about knowing who you are and why you wanted to be sitting there, why you wanted to be the surgeon at the helm, why you wanted to be the hospitalist who’s managing difficult cases, or a pediatrician counseling a parent and child. It’s really a journey of transformation.

The students that I witnessed that did it well, that were the best applicants, had at their core who they were and their reasons and purpose that really shone through. I started to notice that it wasn’t necessarily all of the accolades; it was what those accolades and the journey meant to the student. I had the benefit of working with students in the pipeline, but also working with them after they got to medical school, because I was either the Director of Diversity or the Student Life Dean. I got to watch how and whether students really thrived, and there were students who did the checklist and got in. They were less happy about their experience and their professional journey, more disillusioned at the end, more likely to say at the end, “Yeah, if I would’ve known all this, I wouldn’t have gone.” It’s almost like they got so caught up in whether they could get in and get that gold star that they sort of missed the fact that you’re signing up for a lifetime of vulnerability with patients, and yourself, and this growth process. I want to offer that reassurance too, that your life experiences and who you are as a person matters deeply to how successful you’re going to be as a physician. And when people hear that, I think they sort of relax a little bit, because they go, “Okay, well I didn’t have a thousand hours of this or that, but I’m clear about X, Y, Z values, or this purpose, or resolute in why I’m choosing this path for myself.”

You’re much more likely to find something at the end of that whole process that you’re happy with, right? If you still choose medicine, then maybe it’s what specialty you’re going into. It’s really about knowing yourself and your professional identity formation. We don’t talk about it as much, but it’s really at the core of wellbeing too. If you choose this career, it’s not all about the competition of just getting there. The satisfaction is really rooted in the purpose of why you’re there in the first place. I agree with all those residents and physicians who said to pay attention to the things that bring you joy and really pursue those things. There are ways to incorporate that into your application and not shove yourself inside the checklist box.

Click here to view the complete podcast transcript on Accepted.

Related Links:

Related Shows:

This article was originally posted on blog.accepted.com.

Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away. Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.