A dedication to my vanity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just curious, how are the choices in gum over in dublin? I chew like a pack of gum everyday, and I'm kind of partial to dentyne ice, is there anything similar over there?

Also, how are the choices in hair products (gel and whatnot). Should I bring whatever I use now, or is there a fairly good selection.

Cheers,
Jocks

Members don't see this ad.

Bring gum from home. The gum in Ireland is not good, and you cannot get Dentyne Ice at all. You can get Extra, but it's not like Extra at home, and Orbit, and that is about it. Bring lots of gum.
Shampoo formulas differ from country to country but are sold under the same brand name (trust me - I have contact allergies and products I can use in Canada are like poison ivy here!). They are also much more expensive here than in Canada, so I tend to bring as much as possible with me. I also tend to bring toothpaste and floss, and sometimes laundry detergent, just because of the allergies. But gum, toothpaste and floss are really necessities. Cheers,
Med2UCC

Excessive aspartame consumption can act as a laxative.... :D

I second the suggestion of bringing gum and toiletries (especially if you have allergies) from home. Gum selection in Ireland is inferior and questionable. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentyne ice is sold in packs of 5 in euroland for 2 euro. It can be seasonal and is probably gone off though!

I just struck on something. It is no wonder why people leave Ireland med school's bad mouthing them. Some people just refuse to adapt to new surroundings. Yes they have dentyne ice. They have everything you will ever need they just don't have everything you will always want. P.S. You should pick up smoking to combat that gum chewing fix you have.

galwaybound said:
I just struck on something. It is no wonder why people leave Ireland med school's bad mouthing them. Some people just refuse to adapt to new surroundings. Yes they have dentyne ice. They have everything you will ever need they just don't have everything you will always want. P.S. You should pick up smoking to combat that gum chewing fix you have.

Um, I've been in Cork 3 years now and have never seen dentyne gum. Must only be available in the big city. Most of the stuff I bring from home is because of allergies and medical conditions, and I have no intention of leaving Ireland bad-mouthing the med schools. I am having a great time in Cork, and am looking forward to my last 2 years here.
And BTW, for all the people who believe that the Irish med schools will not give them good reference letters, I have this to say, from my own personal experience this is Bull****. I asked for and recieved a steller reference letter this summer (the person was kind enough to scan it and e.mail me a copy) and I would have no hesitation in applying for positions back home on the basis of my Irish references. My letter also commented on my adaptation to life in Ireland and how well I fit in with my fellow students (most 20+ years younger than me) and colleagues.
Just an observation, not a sweeping generalization,
Med2UCC

galwaybound said:

ouch, did I run over your puppy in a previous life?

hey! I adapt great to my surroundings...I also have the luxury of going back home and bringing back to Ireland a bit of familiarity! I'm having an awesome time in Ireland- great people, great place, great time at school! Moreover, I have this addiction to Kinder cereale and all pastries by Cuisine de France! I can't get enough of my Wicklow blue cheese, my indulgence of Galway oysters at the Temple bar market or my Muller yogourt! Just because I recognize some things are better back in Canada (ex.Gum, Ziplock Bags, Peanut Butter, cheaper ethnic food) doesn't mean that I don't recognize that the Irish do some things better as well (ex.Crepes, Yogourt, Butler's Hot chocolate and Butler's Iced Mochas!)!

Hi everybody,

Is anybody interested in applying the 6 year program at RCSI or UCD?
I've heard that people with a bachelor degree can also apply the program.