A different kind of "book" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sideways

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think enjoying reading the literature of your specialty is an important indicator of what fields may suit you. That said, aside from journals, what single book would be representative of something that a medical student interested in psych should read to see if they enjoy the type of reading that a psychiatrist may do.

If that makes any sense.

Members don't see this ad.

No reading? Maybe this specialty is better than I thought.

Not sure if you're asking for a textbook recommendation (in which case we have a sticky to address your needs) or for non-work related reading. If it's the latter, then I'd recommend anything by Philip Roth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mount Misery? Really? That seems like the kind of book that could drive people away.

I thought Elyn Saks' The Center Cannot Hold was fabulous.

It seems like the OP is asking for journal recommendations. What about Archives of General Psychiatry?

Mount Misery? Really? That seems like the kind of book that could drive people away.

I thought Elyn Saks' The Center Cannot Hold was fabulous.

It seems like the OP is asking for journal recommendations. What about Archives of General Psychiatry?

No, not journals. Actually the book you recommended looks very interesting.