Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My name is Deepak Sudheendra, MD (aka Dr. Sudi), and I am a vascular and interventional radiologist in Columbus, Ohio. I spent more than a decade on the faculty at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine and the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where I built and led one of the largest programs dedicated to complex venous and thrombotic disease.
In 2023, I opened 360 Vascular Institute, an independent, nationally accredited outpatient vascular practice and office-based interventional cath lab.
One of the things I missed most about academic medicine was teaching.
That was part of the reason I created the 360 Vascular Institute Clinical Scholars Program.
This is a highly selective, paid 12–15 month gap-year program for recent college graduates planning to attend medical school. Because of the phenomenal success of our inaugural Clinical Scholar, we are expanding the program and adding a second Clinical Scholar position.
I designed the program to be very different from traditional shadowing, scribing, or working solely as an MA. The Scholar becomes part of our team and gets an unusually raw, inside look at what practicing medicine is actually like.
Scholars participate in patient visits, clinical documentation, vascular imaging, longitudinal patient care, and research and scholarly projects. They also scrub into minimally invasive vascular and interventional procedures and work alongside me and our procedural team in the lab. They learn about things students rarely see before medical school: how physicians make clinical decisions, communicate with patients, build teams, deal with insurance, run a practice, and navigate the business of medicine.
Most importantly, I teach. A lot.
I want the Scholar asking why we are ordering a test, why a patient is or isn't a candidate for a procedure, what we're seeing on an angiogram, and why I made a particular clinical decision. This is not an observation-only experience.
The program is approximately 4.5 days per week and requires a 12–15 month commitment. Minimum undergraduate GPA is 3.5. Compensation begins at $15/hour, increases to $18/hour after 6 months, and $20/hour after 12 months, based on continued strong performance and increasing responsibility.
This is a paid position, but I want to be clear about what this program is and what it isn't. I created it for someone who wants to spend a gap year learning as much as possible about medicine, taking on real responsibility, and being mentored before medical school. If your primary goal is maximizing income during your gap year, there are other positions that will pay more. If your goal is maximizing the experience, this program was built for you.
Scholars who successfully complete the program receive a Certificate of Completion and continued medical school and career mentorship. Exceptional Scholars may also earn a personalized letter of recommendation for medical school. A letter of recommendation is based on performance and is not guaranteed simply for participating.
If interested, search Indeed for “Premedical Clinical Scholar – Gap Year Program” at 360 Vascular Institute in Dublin, Ohio for the complete description and application instructions or click here. I’ll periodically check this thread and answer questions that may be helpful to other prospective applicants.
Deepak Sudheendra, MD, MHCI, RPVI, FSIR (Dr. Sudi)
Founder & Medical Director
360 Vascular Institute
www.360vascular.com
In 2023, I opened 360 Vascular Institute, an independent, nationally accredited outpatient vascular practice and office-based interventional cath lab.
One of the things I missed most about academic medicine was teaching.
That was part of the reason I created the 360 Vascular Institute Clinical Scholars Program.
This is a highly selective, paid 12–15 month gap-year program for recent college graduates planning to attend medical school. Because of the phenomenal success of our inaugural Clinical Scholar, we are expanding the program and adding a second Clinical Scholar position.
I designed the program to be very different from traditional shadowing, scribing, or working solely as an MA. The Scholar becomes part of our team and gets an unusually raw, inside look at what practicing medicine is actually like.
Scholars participate in patient visits, clinical documentation, vascular imaging, longitudinal patient care, and research and scholarly projects. They also scrub into minimally invasive vascular and interventional procedures and work alongside me and our procedural team in the lab. They learn about things students rarely see before medical school: how physicians make clinical decisions, communicate with patients, build teams, deal with insurance, run a practice, and navigate the business of medicine.
Most importantly, I teach. A lot.
I want the Scholar asking why we are ordering a test, why a patient is or isn't a candidate for a procedure, what we're seeing on an angiogram, and why I made a particular clinical decision. This is not an observation-only experience.
The program is approximately 4.5 days per week and requires a 12–15 month commitment. Minimum undergraduate GPA is 3.5. Compensation begins at $15/hour, increases to $18/hour after 6 months, and $20/hour after 12 months, based on continued strong performance and increasing responsibility.
This is a paid position, but I want to be clear about what this program is and what it isn't. I created it for someone who wants to spend a gap year learning as much as possible about medicine, taking on real responsibility, and being mentored before medical school. If your primary goal is maximizing income during your gap year, there are other positions that will pay more. If your goal is maximizing the experience, this program was built for you.
Scholars who successfully complete the program receive a Certificate of Completion and continued medical school and career mentorship. Exceptional Scholars may also earn a personalized letter of recommendation for medical school. A letter of recommendation is based on performance and is not guaranteed simply for participating.
If interested, search Indeed for “Premedical Clinical Scholar – Gap Year Program” at 360 Vascular Institute in Dublin, Ohio for the complete description and application instructions or click here. I’ll periodically check this thread and answer questions that may be helpful to other prospective applicants.
Deepak Sudheendra, MD, MHCI, RPVI, FSIR (Dr. Sudi)
Founder & Medical Director
360 Vascular Institute
www.360vascular.com