A Difficult Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InADream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, new member here and I come asking for advice.

My first year of college, I screwed up big time! However I had realized what my mistakes were and had planned to do things differently my second year. However fate would have a different plan for me, in the form of one of the most horrible creatures to ever exist - bed bugs. The summer after my first year, bed bugs started to invade our home. At first slowly, but by the end of the summer it had reached epidemic levels. I could not sleep during night time at all. I kid you not, these are some of the most horrid creatures to ever appear on the face of the planet. After that summer, I was in pretty **** shape :(. Not being able to sleep at night does this to you. It ruins your schedule, your life, everything. I could not lie down for more than half an hour without itching bite marks that made me look like a fallout survivor. However second year soon started, and things didn't get any better. I was still physically exhausted from that summer, and moving to the dorms didn't help out too much. I was still constantly tired which led to bad grades. Moreover bed bugs a couple months later started appearing on the university campus, most notably in the dorms :mad: Add this in to all the other factors, and this led me to doing relatively poor in my second year also, though not as bad as first year. Now I'm a third year, in pretty crap shape, and I come asking for advice.

My GPA right now is a 2.6 I'm working on improving this, but it can only go up so far. I have began to look into options of what I could do i.e. postbac, SMP, retaking classes and so forth. I have not taken the MCAT's yet, however I have completed most of the core science classes with the bad grades, though I'm taking more science classes. I have started volunteering in a hospital, am looking to get into research (I know its really late) and am active in a few student clubs. In addition I have started to work this past summer.

Now I come asking what would be the best option for me. I honestly feel as if the bedbugs had never happened i.e. had I been able to get proper rest, I would have been in much better shape mentally and been able to perform a lot better my second year. I'm not sure if the adcoms would take that into consideration though. I understand what my mistakes were and am truly working to improve, however I feel as if my poor first year along with the events of the second year has derailed me :(:mad: What would you guys advice?

Members don't see this ad.

That's the funniest excuse, sorry, I mean reason, I've ever heard for poor performance. :laugh:

I would retake any core prereqs that you got a C in. You can then use grade replacement and apply DO. MD will take a lot more work....(years more)....so DO really is your best bet unless you can score exceptionally high on the MCAT.

In the future, you should drop out of school if you are not ready to excel at it. Bed bugs can't be used as an excuse for continuous poor performance. Taking a break is better than earning rotten grades. If the bugs are as bad as you say, I'd transfer to another school. I hate bugs too! Darn it, I'm ichy now!

Last edited:
2.6 isn't going to get you in anywhere, but you knew that already or you wouldn't be considering postbacs.

Do everything outside of grades to boost your application, research, volunteering, medical exposure, etc. Rock your MCAT(30+). Bring your GPA up to 3.2-3.4 and you can go DO. 3.5 or above and you have a shot at MD. If you pulled a 4.0 from here on out I suppose your GPA could be a 3.3(.5*2.6 + .5*4.0), but this assumes you will take roughly the same number of hrs you did your 1st two years for jr/sr year, so a postbocc may not be completely necessary.

Don't give up hope though, good luck in your future endeavors!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the funniest excuse, sorry, I mean reason, I've ever heard for poor performance. :laugh:

I would retake any core prereqs that you got a C in. You can then use grade replacement and apply DO. MD will take a lot more work....(years more)....so DO really is your best bet unless you can score exceptionally high on the MCAT.

In the future, you should drop out of school if you are not ready to excel at it. Bed bugs can't be used as an excuse for continuous poor performance. Taking a break is better than earning rotten grades. If the bugs are as bad as you say, I'd transfer to another school. I hate bugs too! Darn it, I'm ichy now!

Laugh all you want dude, though I'm pretty sure if you were in the same situation, you would not be laughing

Well if let's say I get it up to the 3.3 range, you don't think doing a postbac or a special masters program would improve my MD chances

Laugh all you want dude, though I'm pretty sure if you were in the same situation, you would not be laughing

I do feel for you...but it's not a good excuse. You should have rented a room in a bed bug free home after your grades started tanking. Renting a room is usually no more than dorm rent. No excuses from here on out if you want to do well. Make your life happen and don't play the victim card.

I do feel for you...but it's not a good excuse. You should have rented a room in a bed bug free home after your grades started tanking. Renting a room is usually no more than dorm rent. No excuses from here on out if you want to do well. Make your life happen and don't play the victim card.

At that time, renting another room was not an option for me. I'm not making excuses, I have realized what my mistakes were before and am working on improving them. However those conditions had led me to become mentally and physically drained, and its hard to do work in those circumstances.

Well if let's say I get it up to the 3.3 range, you don't think doing a postbac or a special masters program would improve my MD chances

3.3 would land you an interview at some of the less selective MD schools if you had great MCAT scores and stellar LORs/PS/ECs. Great shot at DO for sure with a 28+ MCAT

At that time, renting another room was not an option for me. I'm not making excuses, I have realized what my mistakes were before and am working on improving them. However those conditions had led me to become mentally and physically drained, and its hard to do work in those circumstances.

Well, best of luck from here on out. I hope your existence is bug free!

Last edited:
3.3 would land you an interview at some of the less selective MD schools if you had great MCAT scores and stellar LORs/PS/ECs. Great shot at DO for sure with a 28+ MCAT

Sorry what is PS? Also what would you say would be a better option, to go for a less selective med school with 3.3 or get into a postbac/smp with the 3.3 boost it up, and then apply more broadly ?

Sorry what is PS? Also what would you say would be a better option, to go for a less selective med school with 3.3 or get into a postbac/smp with the 3.3 boost it up, and then apply more broadly ?

PS is personal statement. Most adcoms will look at your MCAT/GPA and read your PS before inviting you for an interview, so it's pretty important.

Depends on what you want to do. If you are interest in research then you will want to attend more research-oriented institutions, which tend to be more selective.

All medical schools are approved by the LCME and all medical students take the same boards. While the more selective institutions may graduate more students who match into selective residencies, doing well at any school could get you into a good residency. Obviously top institutions have better opportunities for networking during rotations and are good for research, etc. but if you don't care too much about that and are comfortable with a state school just aim for that.

You should apply early and broadly as a general rule of thumb. SDN people are nuts and tell you to submit in June, which some have said is overkill, but you can never be too safe.

Sorry, but I have to agree. I have a friend who in the past few semesters has found out that may not live to finish grad school, various family members have been hospitalized, had lived ones die, etc. and their GPA is a 3.99 with a ton of ECs. It isn't fair, but this is the type of applicant you will be up against--that we are all up against. :(

Just do your best in future semesters, and stay positive. I wish you the absolute best of luck! :D

Don't worry, I'm sure medical schools will be very understanding. You will be well rested during medical school and as a resident, so things will go differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one here concerned about the sequence of events? OP gets bed bugs, moves to dorms, soon after they're prevalent on campus... Not only would I not use this as an excuse for anything, I would bury the whole story so deep that not even an oil drilling crew will find it.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.656032,-122.315040

Wait Wait, Bed Bugs attacked you for two years straight? A quick google search says Bed Bugs can be killed in three weeks and if they were at your school, your school allowed you to sleep in a dorm for a whole year with bed bugs? I hope your telling the truth but even if you were, I wouldn't have the heart to use that as an excuse personally.

Am I the only one here concerned about the sequence of events? OP gets bed bugs, moves to dorms, soon after they're prevalent on campus... Not only would I not use this as an excuse for anything, I would bury the whole story so deep that not even an oil drilling crew will find it.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.656032,-122.315040

I was thinking the SAME THING. Going without sleep is rough, trust me...I have insomnia like crazy and have had it for years. I have also had bed bugs attack...not fun. But, do you know what I did? I got rid of them.
I was very, very persistent.
Bed bugs are extremely difficult to get rid of once they've decided to make your home as their own.
Bed bugs can live up to a year without eating. They are also flat and can hide behind wall outlets and such.
But, anyway, if I were someone at a medical school listening to you explain why you did so poorly, I would really have to fight not to laugh.
Please don't tell anyone else this. I'm serious. I understand it must have been difficult for you, but can you not see how this will get you laughed out of an interview if you do get one later on?
You have time to pull your GPA up. It won't ever be a 4.0, but you don't have to have a 4.0 to get into medical school anyway.

OP, I had a similar GPA by the end of my freshman year. I totally turned it around after that, and am lucky now to have the interviews I've had. The point is you CAN do something about your situation.

I'd recommend getting your GPA as high as possible (3.1-3.3), then do a post-bac and ace everything/do research/all that jazz (I never did research but with a GPA below 3.5 you'll need every advantage you can get). Get a 33+ on the MCAT (most important) and you'll be in decent shape for a lot of the mediocre/less selective med schools. Heck, take a shot at a few reach schools and see what happens. Because you never know...

Also, no more excuses.

At that time, renting another room was not an option for me.
In most states, bed bugs are enough to break lease agreements... I think this is still a poor excuse. Why did you keep plugging away for 2+ years if you knew you were going to get bad grades?

Anyway, it looks like your best bet is to do an SMP.

Adcoms won't take your bedbugs into consideration. The same reason they don't consider crappy roommates keeping you awake or girlfriends/boyfriends keeping you away from studying.

Med Schools are looking for someone who is not the same as all of these kids sitting here on student doctor. Realistically speaking, you would not stand a chance at medical schools but provided your story, you still have a chance. What I would do at the moment is work on GPA (at least a 3.0) and MCATs (atleast a 28), try to score higher and hope for the best. As far as acceptances go, Medical schools will see how you worked hard and your family situation brought upon the poor grades. I mean, isn't that what becoming a doctor is all about? Every doctor will have a time when he is messing up on the littlest things, the goal is to learn and do well from there on, don't let a couple of things keep you from applying to medical schools. For all you know, you are a future M.D. but you won't know unless you try!

Wait Wait, Bed Bugs attacked you for two years straight? A quick google search says Bed Bugs can be killed in three weeks and if they were at your school, your school allowed you to sleep in a dorm for a whole year with bed bugs? I hope your telling the truth but even if you were, I wouldn't have the heart to use that as an excuse personally.

[YOUTUBE]CT-AAUlSO9g[/YOUTUBE]

in case the above link doesn't work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT-AAUlSO9g&hl=en_GB&fs=1

RIGHT BECAUSE I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT SEARCHING GOOGLE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THEM :rolleyes:

You know, maybe if you had searched more on google, you would have seen how they are a problem all over the nation, and how difficult it is to get rid of them. I would like to see the "3 week" cure for getting rid of bed bugs, and how exactly bed bug "poison" helps to get rid of a bed bug infestation.

If you think I'm a lying piece of ****, that's totally cool, you're entitled to your opinion. But just remember that you did not walk through my shoes, and you did not go through the suffering that I went through. Also I just can't wait for the day when you're a doctor and you're listening to your patients problems and laughing at their faces

Don't worry, I'm sure medical schools will be very understanding. You will be well rested during medical school and as a resident, so things will go differently.

+1, haha!!

RIGHT BECAUSE I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT SEARCHING GOOGLE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THEM :rolleyes:

You know, maybe if you had searched more on google, you would have seen how they are a problem all over the nation, and how difficult it is to get rid of them. I would like to see the "3 week" cure for getting rid of bed bugs, and how exactly bed bug "poison" helps to get rid of a bed bug infestation.

If you think I'm a lying piece of ****, that's totally cool, you're entitled to your opinion. But just remember that you did not walk through my shoes, and you did not go through the suffering that I went through. Also I just can't wait for the day when you're a doctor and you're listening to your patients problems and laughing at their faces

No reason for that brozilla, Didn't say it to throw shots at you, I just find it hard to believe your school allowed you to stay in an infected dorm for a whole year. I can understand the home situation but the school situation is a little questionable but anyway I still wouldn't use that as an excuse when explaining it. To many variables allowing an individual to create their own feelings towards it, similar to how the response in this thread range.

Retake youre pre-reqs that you got C's...and build your GPA as much as possible.
If you get a 34ish on your MCAT and your GPA is around 3.3-3.5 you can definitely get into an MD school, just apply early and broadly.... anything lower than a 33 MCAT and I'd be a little nervous

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-bedbugs/

They are a pain to get rid of in your home, but the real problem is a lack of sleep. Bed bug proofing your bed should not take more than 45 minutes, and THAT is why we are saying you are making a lousy excuse. Idc if you have to buy a gallon of liquid nitrogen to kill the ones hiding in your box-spring. It still is not that difficult.

There is a tendency for people on here to come in with a victim mentality. That NEVER helps anyone to be a doctor. We are simply trying to help. I dont care if you are lying, this post honestly does not affect my life in any way at all.

I'm in an SMP now, and I think if you raise your GPA to a 3.0 or better, and you are absolutely set on MD not DO, then apply VERY early to lots of SMPs and you will get in. And if you get VERY good grades you will probably get in somewhere.
But, You need to understand how murderously hard SMPs are.
I kind of wish I just went DO, stupid me.

i would only reiterate what has been said, show an upward trend and you still have a good chance. i am in the same boat too, bad first year, bad gpa by second year and dropped out for a break, but i'm back in it. just not to bed bugs (i'm sorry, its just so... specific of a reason).

and if anything, threaten the adcoms with bedbugs if you don't make it... you never know...

Would retaking the classes at a community college be a good idea ?

Sorry, you're not going to make it in 99% of med schools you apply too. No one is going to take someone with that type of GPA. Find another career, become a nurse, it's too late to fix this type of mistake.