a dress at med school interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasmine112

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question about appropriate dress for women at a med school interview. I bought a great calvin klein skirt suit when I interviewed in 2008, but since then I've lost some weight and got a new hairstyle so the suit doesn't look too great on me now. It actually looks downright stupid (my sister and mom couldn't stop laughing at me when I tried it on)

Here's my question, are sheath dresses completely not an option for women? Where I'm interning now, I wear this really nice sheath dress when I go to congressional briefings and other big shot DC things. It looks kinda like the image below, but it hits below the knee. I look very professional in it, but I'm wondering if its completely inappropriate. Should I invest in just tailoring my old suit, buying new separates, or "risk it" with my dress?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I love dresses (and hate suits)! but I agree with the above - if you wear that dress (or similar) wear a tailored suit jacket/blazer that goes with it. do NOT go into an interview (or any professional situation) in a sleeveless dress, even if you have rockin' guns...it's just inappropriate

those sound like pretty solid rules. Thanks kia ora and aquamarine for the input! I think I'll invest in some separates and make it work :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need them anyway.

Get a plain, super-neat black jacket, skirt, and trousers.

Just make sure the black matches your dress.

Obviously I'm not very experienced with women's business attire... but could a contrasting-color blazer work with the dress? It seems like all black would drown you out and be rather bland. Maybe a light grey suit jacket? Love the dress, though!

My opinion is that black suits are boring. Of course, your attire needs to be appropriate but I think it should also express your personality and style.

Obviously I'm not very experienced with women's business attire... but could a contrasting-color blazer work with the dress? It seems like all black would drown you out and be rather bland. Maybe a light grey suit jacket? Love the dress, though!
Needs to be bland.

Traditional/conservative is the way to go.

haha, this is why I'm confused, where's the balance between expressing yourself and staying conservative?

better to express yourself after you are accepted

Well if you are set on wearing something bland and boring, at least spice it up with some awesome shoes.

as a guy, I feel like it's more difficult to notice that a woman isn't wearing a jacket than if a guy isn't wearing a jacket. In other words, when a guy doesn't wear a jacket, it stands out very easily, but when a woman is just wearing a dress (like the one in the picture) instead of a suit or something, I wouldn't notice it as being inappropriate or different from the norm unless someone pointed it out to me. but that might just be me.

Interviews are not when you express yourself.

You wear a very conservative skirt or trouser suit in black, grey, taupe, black/grey pinstipe. Closed shoes-- pumps, low heels, suchlike. Stockings. Neat blouses.

Wearing a dress- any kind- is only permitted if it's part of a suit (or looks like it).

Neat hair, low key makeup. Classic jewellry.

Interviews are not when you express yourself.

You wear a very conservative skirt or trouser suit in black, grey, taupe, black/grey pinstipe. Closed shoes-- pumps, low heels, suchlike. Stockings. Neat blouses.

Wearing a dress- any kind- is only permitted if it's part of a suit (or looks like it).

Neat hair, low key makeup. Classic jewellry.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm that seems a little counter-intuitive that interviews are not the time to express yourself. I would have thought that it was *the* time to express yourself.

Hmmm that seems a little counter-intuitive that interviews are not the time to express yourself. I would have thought that it was *the* time to express yourself.
Interviews are the time that you are so conservatively presented, you make the nuns look like swinging hippies.

This is a widely known fact.

Interviews are the time that you are so conservatively presented, you make the nuns look like swinging hippies.

haha, I love it. Well, I already own a black professional skirt, so I'm going to go out this weekend (it's a tax holiday in VA, in case any of you all are in the area) and get a matching black suit jacket and blouse. I already have some basic black ballet flats.

I guess I can keep the pretty dress for second-looks (if I get to go on any :) )

haha, I love it. Well, I already own a black professional skirt, so I'm going to go out this weekend (it's a tax holiday in VA, in case any of you all are in the area) and get a matching black suit jacket and blouse. I already have some basic black ballet flats.

I guess I can keep the pretty dress for second-looks (if I get to go on any :) )
Pumps.

Kitten heels.

Not flats.

alexisissuit.jpg

This is the look that interviewers are expecting.

Pumps.

Kitten heels.

Not flats.

Not everyone can wear heels though. I'd much rather wear flats and look comfortable than wear heels and look very awkward (Yes...I still look stupid walking in kitten heels, and they hurt).

Pumps.

Kitten heels.

Not flats.

Um, what? There's absolutely nothing wrong with flats. Plenty of people can't wear heels...and plenty of people also don't want to. And when you're going on a 2 hour walking tour, heels are a pretty stupid idea.

One caveat: if you're going to wear flats, make sure to have your suit pants hemmed. You don't want your pants to be dragging on the floor.

Anyway, to the OP: I don't think the dress is a great idea. First of all, you'd need a jacket over it (bare arms are a no-no), and I personally think a jacket/dress combo would look a little weird. You'd stick out like a sore thumb. And since you're going to be buying a jacket, you might as well just buy a whole suit.

Like others said...your interview is NOT the place to take chances. Now, do you have to wear a black suit like everybody else? No way. A neon magenta one would probably look bad, but there are a lot of options besides black. You also have a bit of freedom with the shirt under your jacket...pick a bright color, a nice pattern, etc. Be reasonable. Take your facial piercings out, don't do your eyeliner like you're going to the club, don't wear stilettos, etc etc. It's pretty much all common sense.

Not everyone can wear heels though. I'd much rather wear flats and look comfortable than wear heels and look very awkward (Yes...I still look stupid walking in kitten heels, and they hurt).

They make 1 inch heels.

Total flats look sloppy.

its an interview, not a runway. You want to express your thoughts and personality, not that you have a wild fashion sense.

If you don't want to be boring you can wear a little bit of tasteful color in the blouse that goes under your suit but I wouldn't wear a bright yellow suit to "express" my personality

They make 1 inch heels.

Total flats look sloppy.

I recently found out that a small wedge is much better than traditional heels. I have really weak ankles, so normally I can't do heels, but the wedge is fine.

They make 1 inch heels.

Total flats look sloppy.

Sloppy shoes look sloppy. Total flats look sensible.

Think about this, guys: campus tours.

Now, let's think about this: campus tours in cities with a significant and appreciable winter and all the snow and ice hazards that come with them.

(This isn't to say that you shouldn't wear heels, but rather that you shouldn't feel forced to wear them. No one except maybe a fellow interviewee is going to look down on you for not wearing heels.)

I recently found out that a small wedge is much better than traditional heels. I have really weak ankles, so normally I can't do heels, but the wedge is fine.
ooh i always forget about wedges (hate them myself) but that would work well.

and as to weather... qvc has slip on crampons. :D you're going to slip in dress shoes regardless, take a bigger bag and toss your keds in there in a plastic bag for walkabout.

Bonus points if the skirt is above the knee. Preferably mid-thigh, along with 6-inch heels.

They make 1 inch heels.

Total flats look sloppy.

Yeah, they rarely make heels in size 2. Go flats! Plus, when you wear pants, it takes away attention from the shoes.

The dress posted by the OP is really nice. I've seen business women wear dresses like those with a suit jacket on the outside.

Last edited:
Im wearing this for my interview someday :D

Attachments

• L11944763.jpg
    L11944763.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 49
this would be the second outfit :D

Attachments

• L12015562.jpg
    L12015562.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 46
ooh i always forget about wedges (hate them myself) but that would work well.

and as to weather... qvc has slip on crampons. :D you're going to slip in dress shoes regardless, take a bigger bag and toss your keds in there in a plastic bag for walkabout.

I have no issue with it, but changing shoes for a tour isn't exactly the classiest thing in the world - and there often isn't time for it. There were several times that I had shoes in my bad that I never got a chance to change into. So yeah, wear flats if you want to - being comfortable and wearing clothes that make you feel confident is clutch.

And yes, clothing should be conservative but black is not compulsory. Interviewers commented several times on how nice it was to see a break from the black. (Greys, browns, dark blues are all common too, especially for women).

Needs to be bland.

Traditional/conservative is the way to go.

Hmm... bland may not have been the word. Perhaps.. ugly? Guys get the benefit of putting color next to their face, either through a subtle shirt, or a tie, or what have you. A girl in all black would just look silly, I think--a contrasting greyscale with that nice dress would at least give some visual interest?

It's times like this I'm glad all suits look pretty much the same for men :D

Hmm... bland may not have been the word. Perhaps.. ugly? Guys get the benefit of putting color next to their face, either through a subtle shirt, or a tie, or what have you. A girl in all black would just look silly, I think--a contrasting greyscale with that nice dress would at least give some visual interest?

Bland is definitely not the way to go. You can wear warm greys, browns, and pinstripes without being bland. For that matter, you can wear whatever you want, so long as it's not outrageous. Most people wear suits, though.

(And yes, black is pretty boring. You're not going to a funeral, after all.)

As for those of you wearing these so-called bland suits, there's a lot you can do with blouse color that can look both striking and impressive without being crass.

Bonus points if the skirt is above the knee. Preferably mid-thigh, along with 6-inch heels.

I know girls who do this and they get in.

It's probably because it has worked so well on other people. :idea: