A Few HPSP Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentaLizzy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to be starting the AF HPSP this fall. This may have been addressed in threads long ago, but my boyfriend wanted me to ask a few questions.

1. We've just purchased a house where I'm going to be in school (Boston), and plan on selling it probably when I graduate and he wanted to know:
a. What is housing like on/around a base? (rent/purchase)
b. How long are you usually stationed at a base?

Also, I was wondering if there are some bases that have alot more dentists stationed than others?

Thanks for any help!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what you call a house.
OCONUS (outside continental US), the housing is pretty sweet, with a close proximity to post. Friedberg's officer housing, for example, was right out the back gate. Some were unlucky enough to get housed with the rest of the enlisted, about 20 minutes away in one location and 35 minutes away in another.
CONUS, the housing isn't as nice. Around Benning and Stewart, which are built around a huge swamp, there are large water-bugs that look like giant cockroaches that will frequently inhabit your bathroom and kitchen. There are different areas on post where you might get housed, depending on your luck of the draw. (This also applies to OCONUS) Some areas are more crowded, basically like one-level townhouses but not as nice. In some areas, you get a big yard. Either way, the size of your house is dependent on your rank and the size of your family.
My wife and I drew a two-bedroom, one bath at every post. Hardwood floors in Germany, right behind a nice commissary. I didn't see alot of garages in Germany, however.

I'm not sure if the same applies to officers (but I'm pretty sure it does), but there is frequently a long waiting list to receive military family housing. Some posts are worse than others in that regard. Some people rent small apartments or stay in the on-post hotel for a while, hoping that they get a top spot on the list. All while hoping that they get lucky, as far as housing choice. (Someone must move out before you can move in.)
You can just opt for BAH, after filling the necessary paperwork. You basically go to the S-1 shop (the administration folks) when you get to your unit, or the in-processing folks help you with it. I can't remember. You get different amounts of money depending on your rank and the general off-post cost of housing. I believe the highest BAH was in New York, if I remember correctly. Crazy BAH.

Depends on what you like. There are some nice off-post civilian neighborhoods built around military posts nowadays, but you have to get through the 30 minute wait at the front gate every morning. That is a serious, serious problem. I've sat at the front gate at Ft. Stewart for an hour and a half before, frequently. The bigger the post, the longer the wait. This includes lunch-time. If you're living off-post, you either eat at the chow-hall or hit the PX for Taco-time.

Proximity to schools: hit or miss. If you opt for BAH, you get more control over this, but you're at the mercy of the market.
Fairly good housing market around military posts, though. If you decide to buy a house, you can pretty much guarantee that it will be sold quickly after you leave.

I just noticed that you're AF, though. Pansy.

AF housing is top-notch. The Ft. Stewart/Benning thing won't apply to you. The AF housing in Florida is stunning compared to Army stuff. I did a few burial duty stints over there, and I was amazed. At one post, you literally take a left turn out the front gate, and the beach is on the next block.
Single Army enlisted folks, for example, in Germany usually have 25-30 or so men for one bathroom (open showers, etc., multiple toilets). AF enlisted, however, refer to their barracks as dormitories, and usually have their own bathroom within two-man rooms. This won't really apply to you, of course, but I'm trying to show the difference between the branches.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be more an issue of if there is a waiting list to get on base housing. Sometimes this can be up to a year wait, it just depends on where you will be stationed.

Time line: If you have a 3-4 year commitment, you will probably be in the same base the whole time. (Unless you do the 1 year AGD, then you will move after it is over).

Doesn't the Airforce have Tanning beds in their clinics? :laugh: