A few important questions about CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shane7227

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Closed thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I am new here, but have browsed through the forums a lot in the past. I am currently going to a CC in Oklahoma. I have most of my prerequisites done and basically lack my organic chemistry's, general chemistry 2, Calculus, and Physics. I was admitted to Oklahoma University for Fall 2012, but I decided to back out and finish another semester at my local CC college. I chose this decision because it is a relatively small college, and I can get extra help if needed, it is free for me to go to the CC though my grants and Federal Student Aid, and because I have been a pharmacy technician for 2 years at Wal-Mart, and they work with my hours with school. I am wanting to transfer and finish my last semester of college at OU. So basically, I am wondering who all has gotten in Pharmacy School by going to a CC in the past? I am going to apply for both SWOSU and OU pharmacy school. My GPA is around a 3.8 and I am at Sophomore level. I have not taken the PCAT test yet. Would my chances be good if I do well on my PCAT, keep my GPA up, and have very good LoR's with almost 3 years experience as a Pharmacy Technician even though I've taken most of my courses at CC?

This question depends on your pharmacy school's requirement. You need to get in touch with them and ask if CC courses are applicable to pre-reqs. There is a good chance that they are, especially if the pharmacy school is in the same state as the CC.

I am from Texas so perhaps things are a little different in Oklahoma. However, I did all my prereqs at a community college and got into University of Houston College of Pharmacy. I didn't have a bachelors either. Just keep your GPA high, get PCAT at least 75 composite (80+ for science and math) and good letters of rec. and you'll be a very competitive application. Also, your pharmacy experience will definitely help. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the quick replies! This makes me way more motivated! The CC is in the same state, and all my courses are able to transfer to both OU and SWOSU.

I think it is a little weird if you just take one semester at OU? Why not just finish up at the CC if it is cheaper?

Are you going to earn a bachelor's? If you are most universities require around 2 years at least of classes.

I started off at a CC and it was very good for me! Definitely helped me get on the right track and was crazy cheap!

But I think your chances are good with a GPA like that!

Personally, I'd stay at the community college instead of transferring to a university, especially if you have no intention of getting a BA/BS prior to starting Pharmacy School.

You have a solid GPA, which will help you out tremendously. The PCAT will likely play a large role in your application since it's the only standardized part of the SOP application.

Good Luck!

I did all of my classes at a CC in Arizona, then was accepted to my first choice school first try. :cool: I have a 3.69 cGPA / 3.9 sGPA.

The only reason I think you should go to the Uni for a semester is if the classes you need to finish the prereqs are not offered at the CC. Some pharma schools require upper division courses. Otherwise, with your GPA & ECs, score well on your PCAT and prepare for your personal statement & interview and I can't imagine you'll get declined. :thumbup: