A few interview questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milena

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about these typical questions, but haven't got anything spectacular... Any suggestions?

1. What do you think are the negative aspects of studying medicine/being a doctor? (There are some obvious answers, but they can be hard to articulate)

2. What would you do if you couldn't do medicine?

Also, for those of you that have been to many interviews, what are some typical 'scenarios' they might give you? (As you can see, I've only been to one interview before!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget the obvious "So, tell me about yourself" question!!!

Also....at the end of my interview, I was asked if there was anything else I wanted to add or if I had any questions for them. I've heard this is a common end to most interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Negative aspects of being a doctor:
-Paperwork and red tape
-Patients who don't take your advice
-You can't help everyone
-Patients who don't want your help
-Hours interfere with family life

If I couldn't do medicine (a pretty personal question):
I'd probably do some other either allied health profession (paramedic, nurse) or some other type of public service profession (firefighter).

What if not medicine?

My answer went like this at my first interview:
"It will take a lot more than not getting into medical school this year for me to choose another career. I'd say that at least three years of rejections would be necessary for me to even consider another career. If that happens, then I'll look into becoming a wildlife biologist."

My answer went like this at my second interview:
"Well, since I have already been accepted, that really isn't a problem anymore. If you'd like, I'll go into my other interests, or we can get back to the rest of the interview."