a few personal statement questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2012mdc

Enjoying the Dark Side
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be having several different versions of my personal statement.

I've seen before that people applying to advanced specialties and prelim/ty years that just add a blurb about why the prelim/ty will be helpful to their advanced specialty. This is typically just added on to end of the personal statement? Are any other edits made? Are there people who don't even use a separate PS? I mean they know we're not interested in medicine/surgery/etc as a career.

My default PS ends with why rads is right for me. Is it normal procedure just to add a short paragraph (2-3 sentences) about why prelim/ty will be helpful?

My 2nd question relates to breaking out of your school's region. So I'm originally from Cali (still my permanent address) but my med school is in the South. I want to add a quick blurb about why I want to go to Cali (born and raised, immediate family still there yada yada yada). I'm not sure where to put this. It doesn't feel right anywhere but the end but I don't want it to seem like I just tacked it on either.

Thanks in advance and g'luck to everyone applying this year :xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not putting anything about TY/prelim in mine. You do the opposite and we'll see who wins?
but for reals, these programs know why we're doing TY/Prelim: not every program is categorical. I didn't get debt to go into TY, and I'm sure they know this.
I'm making a few comments about my hometown program and why i want to go there: because it's home and their program has x,y,z. same with local programs near my school.

I'm not putting anything about TY/prelim in mine. You do the opposite and we'll see who wins?
but for reals, these programs know why we're doing TY/Prelim: not every program is categorical. I didn't get debt to go into TY, and I'm sure they know this.
I'm making a few comments about my hometown program and why i want to go there: because it's home and their program has x,y,z. same with local programs near my school.

Lol sounds like a plan. My PS had room so I added 1-2 sentences for ty/prelim. Did the same thing for my undergrad program and my home region. I doubt if it makes any difference but I feel better doing it than not doing it

Lol sounds like a plan. My PS had room so I added 1-2 sentences for ty/prelim. Did the same thing for my undergrad program and my home region. I doubt if it makes any difference but I feel better doing it than not doing it

What'd you add for your undergrad/home region? Just something that flat out says "I'd look forward to returning to _______ to practice" ?

What'd you add for your undergrad/home region? Just something that flat out says "I'd look forward to returning to _______ to practice" ?

For my home region I mentioned how I've always wanted to return after leaving and that all of my immediate family is still there.

For my undegrad I mentioned how much I enjoyed my time there in regards to the actual school and the area

I don't expect it do much but we'll see