Apr 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am 4th year undergrad that is going to apply to medical school this summer. There are some questions I need answered as I begin the process. I currently have a cumulative gpa of 2.9 as a biochemistry major. During my mid-freshman through part of sophomore year I had serious family problems that caused me to leave school several times and resulted in a big drop in my grades. Since that time my grades have been consistently good, but not great enough to recover my gpa. For those negative people out there that think its impossible to get in with these grades, DONT respond because I know it is possible and I will do everything in my power to reach my goal. I have a passion for science and healthcare which is my reason for applying to medical school. So for those of you that could help, I have a few questions......
-when they say GPA, is it the average of ALL the schools you attend. For example, if I take more classes after I receive my BS degree, would those courses factor into my GPA??? I want to know this so because it would give me an opportunity to raise my gpa
-if i apply this june or july but do not take my mcat until september, will that have a large effect on my admission?
-any recommendations in general??

Thanks

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I am 4th year undergrad that is going to apply to medical school this summer. There are some questions I need answered as I begin the process. I currently have a cumulative gpa of 2.9 as a biochemistry major. During my mid-freshman through part of sophomore year I had serious family problems that caused me to leave school several times and resulted in a big drop in my grades. Since that time my grades have been consistently good, but not great enough to recover my gpa. For those negative people out there that think its impossible to get in with these grades, DONT respond because I know it is possible and I will do everything in my power to reach my goal. I have a passion for science and healthcare which is my reason for applying to medical school. So for those of you that could help, I have a few questions......
-when they say GPA, is it the average of ALL the schools you attend. For example, if I take more classes after I receive my BS degree, would those courses factor into my GPA??? I want to know this so because it would give me an opportunity to raise my gpa
-if i apply this june or july but do not take my mcat until september, will that have a large effect on my admission?
-any recommendations in general??

Thanks
1) yes, every class that you have taken at any college/university (including community colleges) counts. no matter when you took them.
2)your file will not be process until you have an MCAT score. take the MCAT before september if you can, or you should really wait until the next cycle to apply early and have everything lined up, with a possibly higher gpa.
3) apply early and broadly.

ODorDO

10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
Atlantis
Status
Medical Student
2)your file will not be process until you have an MCAT score.
Actually, ur primary AACOMAS will start processing as soon as you pay for it, and once school received ur primary application, they'll send out secondaries w/o looking at ur mcat score.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Actually, ur primary AACOMAS will start processing as soon as you pay for it, and once school received ur primary application, they'll send out secondaries w/o looking at ur mcat score.
what i meant was he wouldn't be complete without it.

Nov 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm pretty sure the schools that screen do not do this.