A few questions about DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amanda29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,
I'm a junior in high school currently and have a few questions about going the DO route to becoming a physician.

One: Are there any differences as far as course requirements?
Two: Does undergrad school really matter (I want to go to a school that I can pay off relatively easily)
Three: Do you need tons of research to get into a DO school?
Four: Does lots of clinical work (I'm a CNA currently, soon to be TMA and later gonna get trained as EMT). I already have about 6 months experience with CNA.
Five: What are the best DO schools to go to?

Thank you very much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay,
I'm a junior in high school currently and have a few questions about going the DO route to becoming a physician.

Two: Does undergrad school really matter (I want to go to a school that I can pay off relatively easily)
Four: Does lots of clinical work (I'm a CNA currently, soon to be TMA and later gonna get trained as EMT). I already have about 6 months experience with CNA.

Thank you very much!!

1. no
2. it matters more what you do there
3. Research isn't emphasized.
4. clinical work is good... continue it into college
5. Don't limit yourself to DO... look at MD programs as well. As for the "best" DO school, it depends what you are PERSONALLY looking for. The number 1 DO school may not be the right place for you.

For undergrad, my advice would be to go to the best, yet least expensive, 4 year institution you can find.

I went the private school route, and it's not worth the extra cash...though there is something to be said for the smaller class sizes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay,

Thank you very much!!

You are a certified nurses assistant at 17?

I think you will have done enough clinical work by the time you go to college that you won't really need to do anything...just something sporadically like on holidays or vacations.

PlAnEjaNe

You are a certified nurses assistant at 17?

I think you will have done enough clinical work by the time you go to college that you won't really need to do anything...just something sporadically like on holidays or vacations.

PlAnEjaNe

Interviewer: So I see you have done a lot of clinical work before college? What happened during college? Did you lose interest?

If you can volunteer a couple times a month, that would be great. I am not saying you have to volunteer everyday.

Start Studying for the MCAT now....LoL

get off SDN and enjoy high school/college!!!

volunteer in clinical settings during college (get to know a DO very well so you can get a rec from them), maintain a good gpa, and study hard for the MCAT the semester you take it.

research is a cherry on a sundae...not necessary but nice....clinical experience is infinitely more important--DMUCOM, for example, rejects anyone without clinical experience.

No

No

Not required but certainly beneficial.

Clinical experience definitely helps

PCOM, CCOM, NYCOM, NSUCOM, MSUCOM

Thank you very much!!

Youre welcome.

Dr JPH

Okay,

Thank you very much!!

From one Amanda to another:

1) There really is no difference in course requirements between MD and DO schools. Some schools (DO or MD) will require coursework in biochemistry that some others will not. This is all I can think of.

2) It doesn't matter where you go to undergrad. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have gone to a super-expensive private school, but to my local state school. At the time, I thought it would help...but it didn't. Your undergraduate and medical education is what you make of it. Just do your best where ever you end up.

3) You do not need tons of research to be admitted to a DO school. Many DO schools focus on primary care and for this reason, your time would be better-spent doing clinical volunteer work. I would recommend finding a free clinic to work at, or another position that would maximize your patient exposure and clinical skills. If you are interested in research, by all means..do it. I wouldn't waste your time with entry-level research if it's not what you enjoy doing.

4) Keep up with your clinical work, either as a CNA or an EMT (I would recommend work as an EMT as you might make more $ to pay for school and you are more likely to see some interesting cases)..

5) The best DO school to go to is the one you feel most comfortable at during your interview, the one that has a curriculum you like, the location that you like or the climate you like. It's a personal decision. You can succeed wherever you go, just make the most of it.

Another note: Be sure to shadow DOs prior to applying in order to familiarize yourself with osteopathic medicine. Also, apply to both MD and DO schools, you might decide you like one more than the other. Good luck to you. :luck:

I am glad that research doesn't really matter as much for a DO school, and that the undergrad school doesn't really matter. State school is PROBABLY where I am going to be going only because the cost is much lower.

How do you go about asking a DR about shadowing? Do you just call them, or write a letter? or what? Because thats something I am definately interested in doing, this summer.

Thanks!

Dont dismiss the idea of research. Research is becoming increasingly important to get good spots for residency in many specialties, particularly the more competitive specialties based at large academic centers.

People always say that DO schools do less research than MD schools, which may be true at some schools but look at the larger DO schools and see what they are doing...its pretty involved.

As said above, most of the people I know who got spots in competitive residencies had some publications under their belt. Surgery, Radiology, Dermatology, Anesthesiology, Orthopedic Surgery, Neurosurgery...those dont even include Fellowships after some of these residencies.

PCOM, CCOM, NYCOM, NSUCOM, MSUCOM

Based on what criteria did you decide these are the best DO schools?

It is interesting that you include such schools as NSUCOM and NYCOM, but omitted schools like TCOM, KCOM, and OSUCOM.

Perhaps you don't care about national rankings. Either way, it is a strange omission. I can only assume that you are discussing the best schools in the North.

Dont dismiss the idea of research. Research is becoming increasingly important to get good spots for residency in many specialties, particularly the more competitive specialties based at large academic centers.

People always say that DO schools do less research than MD schools, which may be true at some schools but look at the larger DO schools and see what they are doing...its pretty involved.

As said above, most of the people I know who got spots in competitive residencies had some publications under their belt. Surgery, Radiology, Dermatology, Anesthesiology, Orthopedic Surgery, Neurosurgery...those dont even include Fellowships after some of these residencies.

I agree. Research is needed for the more competitive allopathic residencies. However, research is never required for admissions to DO school.

As a result, you can do researching during medical school if you later decide to to a competitive allopathic residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on what criteria did you decide these are the best DO schools?

It is interesting that you include such schools as NSUCOM and NYCOM, but omitted schools like TCOM, KCOM, and OSUCOM.

Perhaps you don't care about national rankings. Either way, it is a strange omission. I can only assume that you are discussing the best schools in the North.

National rankings for what? Primary care? No I dont care about those...most people dont. What does that mean? XYZ medical school sends >60% of their graduates into primary care and therefore they are a better school than ABC that sends >60% of their graduates into subspecialty fields? Yeah, ok! :laugh:

I am pretty familiar with many of the DO schools for a variety of reasons. OSU and TCOM would both be in my top 10...along with OU, Kansas City and UMDNJ (in no particular order).

So dont assume anything. :thumbup:

Oh...and to follow up on the research comment. Its not always easy to get involved with a high profile project in medical school if you have never done research. Many of these projects are big in time commitment and money invested...the PIs want people who know how to conduct themselves in a lab, write papers, calculate a statistical analysis and handle all the minutia. Being a research virgin doesnt necessarily mean you cant get involved in these projects, but IME it makes it significantly more difficult. Afterall, when looking for people to take on my project after graduation my first question to potential applicants was "what research have you done in the past?". An answer of "none" excluded them completely from my consideration.

But no worries...they can always go into primary care. I hear THATS all the rage nowadays with the rankings and all. ;)

UNECOM is currently building an entire new biomedical research facility on campus. The pharmacology research is really taking off there.

I am glad that research doesn't really matter as much for a DO school, and that the undergrad school doesn't really matter. State school is PROBABLY where I am going to be going only because the cost is much lower.

How do you go about asking a DR about shadowing? Do you just call them, or write a letter? or what? Because thats something I am definately interested in doing, this summer.

Thanks!

As for shadowing:

I found a very helpful D.O. surgeon to shadow through this website:

http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/Mentor_main.htm

When you request a mentor, there is box you can type comments. Just politely ask if you could shadow them at their convenience. I would recommend shadowing for as long as possible (or is beneficial to you). I didn't want to stop shadowing the doctor I was with...the cases were awesome and the doctors' lounge coffee was great! :) Good luck to you.

Thanks!

go to this website and search for DOs in your area. you can even search by specialty. last spring i sent out about 10 letters to DOs in my city and told them a little bit about me and what i wanted to do and they all responded. some said they couldnt take volunteers right now, but I ended up shadowing a great doc for the entire summer and learned a lot.

http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm

I agree. Research is needed for the more competitive allopathic residencies. However, research is never required for admissions to DO school.

I am not really doing much until I start school in August. I would like to get involved in research but I don't really know how to go about finding opportunities. Anyone have any advice?

I am not really doing much until I start school in August. I would like to get involved in research but I don't really know how to go about finding opportunities. Anyone have any advice?

Your school will have opportunities. They may advertise for research assistants... or there may be a research club. You might even just hang out near the labs and ask the old guys who come in and out of there. You'll find a way if you really want it :D.

Your school may be able to "beat up" my school but your board scores can't touch mine! :hardy:

Okay,

Thank you very much!!

your thinking wayyyyy tooooooo much...
Here is ALL you need to know...
1)NEVER let that damn GPA drop below 3.5 (science and overall), some of us older folks made that mistake in our undergrad years, and today, we are paying the price
2)Pick an undergrad major that YOU will enjoy (engineering, physics, biology, computer science, english, history, religion studies, etc etc etc)... some people will tell you to do a hard major, I disagree with that, I think the undergrad major (esspecially for students who want to become doctors someday) should be of primary interest, lets face it, when you become a doctor, there is a very good chance your never going to use that undergrad degree, so obtain it in something that interests you personally

good luck

your thinking wayyyyy tooooooo much...
Here is ALL you need to know...
1)NEVER let that damn GPA drop below 3.5 (science and overall), some of us older folks made that mistake in our undergrad years, and today, we are paying the price
2)Pick an undergrad major that YOU will enjoy (engineering, physics, biology, computer science, english, history, religion studies, etc etc etc)... some people will tell you to do a hard major, I disagree with that, I think the undergrad major (esspecially for students who want to become doctors someday) should be of primary interest, lets face it, when you become a doctor, there is a very good chance your never going to use that undergrad degree, so obtain it in something that interests you personally

good luck

Good post

:thumbup:

So you're saying, pretty much, that to get into a medical school laboratory one must do undergrad research? :(