Oct 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical
Hello! I am currently going into my last year at my undergrad and finishing up a B.S. in Public Health. I have taken all the pre-med requirements but am pretty disappointed with my grades. I'm considering taking a post-bacc year or two to boost my GPA. Thus I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with!

First of all, should I take a formalized Post-Bacc Program or register as a post-bacc student and just complete a second degree (in something like biology)? Should I be taking just upper level science courses?

I am from the Pacific Northwest and was looking into Post-Bacc through the UW, PSU, UO, OSU. Any other recommendations on programs on the West Coast?

Also, I know that D.O. schools sometimes have pre-medical post-baccalaureate programs - are those worth taking? Do M.D. schools have anything like that?

Is it possible to both work and do post-bacc classes? Would I have to work part-time? Also, how long do post-bacc programs usually take? If I just want to get a second degree in biology, would it perhaps not take as long?

Thank you in advance!

Aug 14, 2015
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello! I am currently going into my last year at my undergrad and finishing up a B.S. in Public Health. I have taken all the pre-med requirements but am pretty disappointed with my grades. I'm considering taking a post-bacc year or two to boost my GPA. Thus I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with!

First of all, should I take a formalized Post-Bacc Program or register as a post-bacc student and just complete a second degree (in something like biology)? Should I be taking just upper level science courses?
This I am not sure about, but from what I have seen usually a formal post bacc allows you to have extra advising, formalized classes sometimes specific to post bacc students. From what I have seen its usually not advised to pursue a second bachelors in another field, usually people complete a post bacc or SMP. But maybe someone else can chime in on this as well.

I am from the Pacific Northwest and was looking into Post-Bacc through the UW, PSU, UO, OSU. Any other recommendations on programs on the West Coast?
Are you looking to stay exclusively in the Pacific Northwest? Or are you flexible to go to California? SFSU, CSUEastbay, CSULA also have post bacc programs. As far as UW, I wasn't aware they had a post bacc program? Is it DIY? PSU and UO I have heard are excellent programs and I am considering them as well.

Also, I know that D.O. schools sometimes have pre-medical post-baccalaureate programs - are those worth taking? Do M.D. schools have anything like that?
Not sure about this, maybe someone can chime in?

Is it possible to both work and do post-bacc classes? Would I have to work part-time? Also, how long do post-bacc programs usually take? If I just want to get a second degree in biology, would it perhaps not take as long?
Some people work, but its usually advised not to work so you can fully dedicate yourself to your classes and volunteering/shadowing/research etc.. But I am sure as long as your hours are favorable and it is balanced well you can work. Some programs are designed to be accelerated so they can be completed in 1 year, others require 2 years due to the schedule being more spread out. The bio degree might be contingent on how many pre reqs you already completed from your undergrad.

Thank you in advance!
I am in no way an expert in the matter, but hopefully I have been able to help you in some way!