a few questions about preparing for pharmacy application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annievu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, it has been a long time that I have been back...Now that I have taken more classes and time also passed by, my growing questions are:

1) I'm graduating next spring '08 for a BS and after that I won't have anymore financial aid for schooling. And I have only 1 more pre-reg (for Pharmacy) class to take this summer. Should I apply this summer 07 for pharmacy school or should I apply after I get a Bachelor? Which way is better?

2) For letter of recommendation, should I ask the teachers from last years or should I ask the teachers from current semester? I have 2 science teachers right now, 1 is nice and 1 is not really nice.

3) For volunteering in a pharmacy, how long do you think I should volunteer before I apply?

4) When is the best time that I should complete all my application? Early June? July?

4) I'm particularly interested in applying to Touro University Pharmacy school. Any tips for me for those already accepted or got interview?

Thank you a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Since you're graduating next year you should apply this june so that you'll know where you'll be going right after your undergrad as opposed to taking a year working or job hunting. If you can handle your senior year along with apps and pcats then do it then. If not take a year off to do that stuff. I would take the pcats this june and get all the application paper work in during the summer. Remember, key is to apply early!

2. Professors from your current semester or last semester would remember you better than previous years. However if you have nice professors that remember you from say a year or two ago go with them. Its better to stay safe and have good recs.

3. I think you should start volunteering asap. If you want hospital volunteer you should go to the hospital and see about how you can start volunteering soon. At my hospital its next to a university so theres lots of volunteers and space is limited therefore you must apply early. You should def try to at least start volunteering around june.

4. As early as possible - whenever the application is available.. around june 1st i believe?

5. Touro? I'll have to leave it to someone else for that, i'm from the east coast.

1) If going to pharm school right after college is what you want to do, you should apply this summer! But i'd say don't try to rush, u might give yourself too much pressure. Just plan your time well.have your personal statements ready to give to your professors after they agree to write rec letters for you.

2) I think you should ask professors who know you really well and can recognize you outside of class and friendly of course!

3) yea agreed with adn about volunteering asap. This will allow you to get to know pharmacists really well before you ask him/her for a rec. letter. I volunteered for about a year before asking the pharmacist. I think volunteering for a long time will show you are a committed person willing to help out the pharmacy and willing to learn, not just someone there to get a rec. letter.

4) The later you submit your applications, the later you will hear back from the schools about your application status. But I feel that if you are a strong applicant, high GPA, high pCAt, great rec. letters and extracurricular activities it doesn't really matter whether you send it in early or later because they'll still invite you for interviews. If you are an average applicant, try applying as early as u can.

5) I applied to Touro and only had to submit the pharmas (primary application) without submitting the secondary apps together , like all other pharm schools. After seeing and reviewing your primary apps, then touro will decide if you will have to send the secondary apps to them. so this procedure's like med school style. After submitting my secondary apps, i got a pretty quick response from them about an interview date. Touro recommends that you send in the apps early to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys, it has been a long time that I have been back...Now that I have taken more classes and time also passed by, my growing questions are:

1) I'm graduating next spring '08 for a BS and after that I won't have anymore financial aid for schooling. And I have only 1 more pre-reg (for Pharmacy) class to take this summer. Should I apply this summer 07 for pharmacy school or should I apply after I get a Bachelor? Which way is better?

2) For letter of recommendation, should I ask the teachers from last years or should I ask the teachers from current semester? I have 2 science teachers right now, 1 is nice and 1 is not really nice.

3) For volunteering in a pharmacy, how long do you think I should volunteer before I apply?

4) When is the best time that I should complete all my application? Early June? July?

4) I'm particularly interested in applying to Touro University Pharmacy school. Any tips for me for those already accepted or got interview?

Thank you a lot! :)

1)I would take the June PCAT and apply on PharmCAS the first days you can access it. Before then, get your letters of reference ready. Instructors tend to be busy and may put off your letter. I got burned a little because of that. By applying early, you'll have a great advantage in rolling admission schools and every other school. If you don't do as well as you wanted on the PCAT, you can still take the October one and not be too far behind in the process.

If you are sure that you will graduate in spring 2008, I think schools will realize that you'll have a degree by the time you enter pharmacy school.

2) For my LORs, I asked the instructors that would likely write a good letter and who knew me well enough. Even if I though I didn't have their class for years, I felt that they would write a better letter than an instructor who doesn't know you very well. Generic letters don't stand out.

3)I can't really answer this since I don't have much true pharmacy volunteer experience. I have volunteered in a hospital for years, so I feel that is better than nothing.

4)I can't comment on that because I didn't apply there. I forgot why....:)

I agree with all the other input so far. One addendum though. Touro participates in Early Decision. If you know that's where you want to go, apply ED. If you get accepted, you must accept, but if you get rejected you find out before the earliest deadlines (11/1.) This way you can get some other apps in to other schools and still have a good shot at Touro. I did that with Oregon State this year. Found out 10/25 that they wouldn't take me as an ED candidate (not flat out rejected though:oops: ) I then submitted applications to USC and Western by the 11/1 deadline and have gotten interviews to both schools, despite how late they were in the application cycle.

i have one more question....So a lot of pharmacy schools require a Bachelor to accept us in pharmacy schools...And I don't have a Bachelor yet, but will have one next year...Then do I consider to be competitive if I'm in the process of obtaining a Bachelor (not already have a Bachelor)???:confused:

I don't have a bachelor and don't plan to get one. Just apply and if you don't get in, apply again while getting a BA/BS.

You'll be fine - they will know that by the time you start pharm school you'll have a bachelors degree.

1) It shouldn't make a difference. The admissions people will look at your transcripts and see that you're graduating May '08 so they'll rank you with the people who already have B.S. I assume.

2) Ask whichever teachers who will write the best and most personal letters of recommendation. I went with professors who required making an appointment to sit down and talk to me or that they wanted to read my personal statement since I felt it showed they had a genuine interest in helping me and it gave them a chance to get to know me.

3 & 4) Start both as soon as possible. The sooner you start with volunteering the more experience you'll have. You're better off getting your application together well before the due date. That way you won't have any last minute scares with transcripts and letters of recommendation showing up in time or supplemental applications getting lost.