A few questions about the application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayMiranti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Does it take a long time for AADSAS to verify your transcripts like with AMCAS? about how long?

How can I change a LOR from a science prof that was used for med school last year, for dental school, since the letter says "medical school"?

When is it too late to take the DAT?
i was planning on taking it in mid-july, meaning if i had to retake that would mean 90 days later in mid-october.

thanks for the help

jay

thanks
Jay

Members don't see this ad.

JayMiranti said:
Hey,

Does it take a long time for AADSAS to verify your transcripts like with AMCAS? about how long?

The average processing time for the entire application (including checking your transcripts) is about 1 month

How can I change a LOR from a science prof that was used for med school last year, for dental school, since the letter says "medical school"?

I think the best option is to ask the professor to write you another one. I don't think he/she will mind. You can try to give him some extra information (resume, applicant essay, transcripts, work from his/her class) so that he/she can write a detail LOR for you, and maybe, it will be better than the one written for med school.

When is it too late to take the DAT?
i was planning on taking it in mid-july, meaning if i had to retake that would mean 90 days later in mid-october.

If you have high GPA, then it is never too late to take the DAT, however, I think taking it in December will be pushing it to the limit if you want to apply in the current cycle. If you have to retake it in mid-october or november, then what I suggest you do is to fax the unofficial DAT scores (the one that you receive immediately after the test) to all the schools so they can immediately evaluate you with the new scores and then they can wait for the official copy to confirm your scores. But I you prepare yourself well enough then you shouldn't need to think about retaking it!

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
so, since the turn around time on the app is a month, and i havent started studying for the DAT yet, but i plan too soon, like next week to take it in mid-july.... would it be a bad idea to submit the AADSAS without my DAT scores, no DAT scores at all this is my first test...

Because I was thinking about waiting and applying all at once once i had the scores, but if it will be a month anyway then i might as well get started...

so what is the deal with the score reporting? I get the unofficial copy that day, then i can choose schools to send official copies to? and how long does that take?

To the OP...

Definetly apply Now! I can't stress that enough. Your application should have been in on the 17th, the first day! Apply Now, now, now!! Reason being is that it takes awhile to process the application, as you already know. So if you send the application now and then take the DAT in a month, or a little longer than that, all your info will get to AADSAS around the same time.

About the scores...

You are right, you do get a copy of your score when you are done with the test, but i think it is an offical copy because it has a special stamp on it. You don't choose schools to send scores to after the test, this is done before when you register for the test. Many people complain about this, saying that you don't know where to apply without your scores, but this is the way it is done. You can however choose additional schools to send scores to after the test for an additional charge, i think its like 10 bucks a school. When you register, your fee includes score reports for 5 schools. Your scores are sent to schools very quickly, i think within a week. So this is the reason why you need to get that application in now!

Hope this helps, and good luck!