Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

a few questions from a new med student...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by aye, Dec 7, 2005.

1. aye

aye Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey all.

1. i just wanted to know how many semesters per year is it for your medical school. i know each one is different. i'm going to a carribean school in jan and theirs is 3 semesters per year...

2. can someone tell me the relative scores of step 1 compared to the mcats? like i heard that a 240 is like getting a 40 on the mcats. is this true?

3. anyone know of any foreign transfers in their class and how easy/difficult to do this? i might be trying to do this after my 2nd year in Ross.

thanks!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1. We don't have semesters at my school- we have Units. First unit is anatomy, histology & embryology. Second is Biochem & physiology. We are on 2, so I am not sure what comes next. I know we get summer break in May.

2. A 240 is more like a 33-35. A 270 would be more like a 40. This is just an estimate, but I know it a 40 on the MCAT would be a much higher step 1 than 240.

3. it will be very hard if not impossible to transfer. The only time I have heard of this happening is if you have some deep personal reason (sick mother, etc).... and coming from a carribean school, it will be even harder.

You should probably consider going to a DO school or waiting and trying to get into somewhere in the states, if you really want to graduate from a US medical school. You cannot plan on transfering because the likelihood of that happening will be close to 0.

4. Southpawz

Southpawz Member
    5+ Year Member

We don't have semesters either. We have terms 3 terms a year, with an exam at the end of each term. Then we have a humungus exam covering all of the pre-clinical subjects when you've finished them.