A few questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted19731

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Does anybody know the road to becoming a Transplant Surgeon.

Residency (5-8 years) and fellowship (2-3 years). Heart and lung transplant requires a cardiothoracic fellowship (2-4 years) in addition to the transplant fellowship.

2. Would getting two fellowships after a general surgery be very productive? I have heard that if a doctor has do a CT felloship and a Trauma/Critical care fellowship that they can basically write their own checks.

This is location dependent. Most trauma surgeons I know of do chest surgery on their trauma patients without CT being present. Again, this is location dependent. Some CT surgeons won't let a trauma surgeon touch the chest at all.

3. Say an old surgeon is having trouble keeping up. He is in his mind 60's and doesn't want to get out of medicine but just cant hang with the hours any more. Can he open a small FP type practice so as to keep seeing patients and just diagnose things like cold and whatnot?

Many general surgeons work in ED's or urgent care clinics.

Actually, to do heart/lung transplants, you do not do a transplant fellowship. A transplant fellowship involves liver/kidney/pancreas or some combination thereof. A very few centers also do small bowel transplants. To do heart/lung transplants, you do a CT fellowship at a program with a high volume of heart/lung transplants. I have heard of surgeons doing 2 fellowships, but it's often not necessary. One of our pediatric transplant surgeons did a pediatric surgery fellowship, followed by a transplant fellowship. He's an amazing surgeon, and does pediatric liver/kidneys. He told me that both fellowships are not required to call yourself a pediatric transplant surgeon, however.