A Few Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alfrito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about what I should be doing during college:

1. How and where do I volunteer?
2. Is it okay to take pre-req classes such as Organic chemistry and physics at a community college? My brother told me that some/many med schools don't accept pre-req credits taken at community colleges.
3. How/where do I shadow? It always seems like everyone has to know someone personally to be able to shadow.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions about what I should be doing during college:

1. How and where do I volunteer?
2. Is it okay to take pre-req classes such as Organic chemistry and physics at a community college? My brother told me that some/many med schools don't accept pre-req credits taken at community colleges.
3. How/where do I shadow? It always seems like everyone has to know someone personally to be able to shadow.

1. Get some clinical volunteering at a hospital or clinic (as Lizzy M says just make sure you can smell patients). Also, do some non-clinical volunteering. Do what you are passionate about and realize that a few long-term activities are better than doing a lot of short-term activities.

2. You would need to check on a school-by-school basis whether they accept these credits. To my knowledge, going to community college and then transferring to a 4 year school is perfectly fine, but taking all of your classes except the hardest pre-reqs at your school is not going to look good to adcoms. They can see thru an attempt to take an easier route and will not like that.

3. If you can find someone you know who will let you shadow, ask them. If not, call around to random doctors if you have to. Or if you are at a school with a medical school, maybe ask your health professions office if they can put you in contact with any physician who would allow you to shadow.

Welcome! I would try to do most of the pre med reqs at an accredited 4 year uni/college. Doing the harder courses at a community college to get a higher grade is what some people will read into as the reason for cc orgo/physics etc. you can volunteer at a local hospital/clinic. You could ask to shadow local physicians if you want some exposure. If you know that you want to go into family medicine then follow a fp doc. This will possibly help you confirm your decision and you can use this as a vantage point in your personal statement for med school. Best of luck.