A few questions

Started by SPORTPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SPORTPT

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In July, I graduated from Queen Margaret University with the degree of BSc [Hons] in Physiotherapy. I am interested in getting a licensure as a physical therapist in New York State. Therefore, I plan to come to New York and study to get the DPT degree to become eligible to practice as a Physical Therapist (PT).

The program that I will apply is the NYU program for practicing PT's.

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/graduate_admissions/guide/ptpp/dpt

However, during my studies I wanted to be able to work as a physical therapist assistant. Therefore, I was thinking of applying for licensure as a PTA (limited permit).

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to renew the PTA limited permit after 6 months ?

2) If I apply for certification as a physical therapist assistant (PTA), will it be possible to get a limited permit in order to work untill I decide when to give the National Physical Therapist Assistant Examination.

3) How dificult is the NPTAE examination for a PT from EUROPE?

What do you think is the best thing to do case getting a limited permit or getting a permanent license as a PTA to use it untill I graduate from DPT school and applying for PT license?



Finally, If anyone knows, I saw that in the requirements of NYU t-DPT program they ask for a foreign country licensure. I have already started the procedure to take my physiotherapy license. However, I was informed that the procedure may take up to 4 months. Therefore, I will have the license in December (Their application Deadline is on the 1st of November). Does anyonr knows i it is possible to apply to their program with my license pending ? I will have the license by the start of the program.

I contacted NYU about this issue but no one answered me yet.