A few thoughts after taking the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goheel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. The chemistry section has more organic than I was expected. Almost half of my questions were relating to organic.
2. My biology section doesn't have alot of A&P, surprisingly.
3. Math section contains alot of calculus, as expected.

Other than that, I'm so glad I'm done :D

Members don't see this ad.

goheel said:
1. The chemistry section has more organic than I was expected. Almost half of my questions were relating to organic.
2. My biology section doesn't have alot of A&P, surprisingly.
3. Math section contains alot of calculus, as expected.

Other than that, I'm so glad I'm done :D

I'm definitely GLAD IT'S OVER!!! I'm so traumatized over the math...it was a lot harder than I expected (not just simple calculus calculations)

AAAAH was anybody else TRAUMATIZED by the calculus? I took the practice test online so I was kind of surprised at how much there actually was!!!! :mad:

Hey guys

I am so glad that PCAT is over, too. For the recent one week, I've been focusing myself solely for this exam, hope it's working out and worth it.

For the verbal ability section, there are parts I am not sure with, especially abt antonym.
For biology, chem, and reading, I am feeling all right as well as with math.

Overall, it's pretty ok, but i didn't expect to see an essay. I thought they don't have it (I'm screwed here) because I thought it was only MCAT that has it.

And each section also has 58 questions instead of 60.

Wow, seems like the PCAT is getting harder and harder.

Lucky I took it last year.

But on the other hand, good luck to everyone! You should receive your scores in a month or 2?

I've also checked out the PCAT website...awesome. They've improved drastically.

Also, I've heard there's a writing prompt now? Wow....

Members don't see this ad :)
angelil_yu said:
Hey guys

I am so glad that PCAT is over, too. For the recent one week, I've been focusing myself solely for this exam, hope it's working out and worth it.

For the verbal ability section, there are parts I am not sure with, especially abt antonym.
For biology, chem, and reading, I am feeling all right as well as with math.

Overall, it's pretty ok, but i didn't expect to see an essay. I thought they don't have it (I'm screwed here) because I thought it was only MCAT that has it.

And each section also has 58 questions instead of 60.

verbal had an antonym section??? omg did i misread the directions? i thought the first part was synonyms. then sentence completion. OMG!!

Yea, I thought the first part was synonyms, and then sentence completion too. Hmm, that's strange. :confused:

goheel said:
Yea, I thought the first part was synonyms, and then sentence completion too. Hmm, that's strange. :confused:

i remember in all the study books i had, there were only antonyms and analogies. but i dont think i got those at all. i'm pretty sure it was synonyms and definitely sentence completion.

Mine was also analogies then sentence comp. You guys scared the crap out of me saying that it was synonyms and antonyms. i was about to have a heart attack.

s13 said:
Mine was also analogies then sentence comp. You guys scared the crap out of me saying that it was synonyms and antonyms. i was about to have a heart attack.

:laugh: me too at first.

I took the Octoboer 23, 2004 PCAT (Mid-Day session) and am glad that it is over. The things that suprized me: LOTS of CALC, and LOTS OF ORGANIC CHEM. Some of the organic chem was stuff that i'm learning right now in my Organic I class.....so i had a simple idea of how to answer them but wasn't fully confident in my answers.

The order of my PCAT WENT:
1.) Verbal (analogy questions and sentance completion, 58 questions)
2.) Biology (not too much cell bio, but a heavy emphasis on genetics and evolution, 58 questions)
3.) Reading (6 passages, 48 questions)
--10 min break--
4.) Quantitative Ability (lots and lots of calc, 58 questions)
5.) Chemistry (lots and lots of organic, 58 questions)
6.) Writing Sample?? (30 mins)

I've heard rumors saying that they made this PCAT Session hard in order to cutdown the percentiles a little bit because they were getting way to high.....kind of unfair to us (because we prepared for a test that was expected to have a few CALC and ORGANIC questions)......right??

Oh well......its over now and nothing can be done to change it i guess.....but i have a question about the grading process:

Is the PCAT curved or normed in order to compensate for percentile destribution, and if it is does anyone know how the curve or norming works?? Is it by individual sections of the test or of the final composite score??

Thanks for helpin me out with my question

Sorry for scaring the crap out of you :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :laugh:

I guess my brain didn't work well (Esp after PCAT) when I said there was an antonym section. I was gonna say analogy instead. Yap, surprisingly, there was neither antonym nor synonym questions, which is pretty good because I'd rather have sentence completion than antonym.

that's all for now