a friendly reminder to everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucks2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to check your spam box judiciously now that the application season is underway. Gmail has sent the majority of my secondary invitations to my inbox, but I just found one in my spam folder :confused: so save yourself some headaches later on and check your spam regularly.

Members don't see this ad.

to check your spam box judiciously now that the application season is underway. Gmail has sent the majority of my secondary invitations to my inbox, but I just found one in my spam folder :confused: so save yourself some headaches later on and check your spam regularly.

o crap, i deleted all my spam....

do u have a particular school that went to spam?!?!? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I deleted my 1000+ Spam messages a few days before secondary season, and now check it whenever a new spam pops up.

I hated that last year. Three of my secondaries ended up in the spam box. Ironically, two of those schools I had interviews at.

I had 2 secondaries and 1 interview invite end up in the spam folder last cycle.

Completely agree with OP's and everyone's recommendation. The school I will be attending this fall, my number one choice, sent me their secondary relatively early in the cycle, and it went straight to my spam folder. If the school wasn't kind enough to send me a friendly reminder about a month after, I wonder what would have happened. Since then, I've learnt to check my spam and/or junk folder before deleting. So please guys, always always check these folders before deleting the emails in them!!!

If you use gmail, or most other providers, you can set up filters to never send anything with a .edu address or AAMC in the title to your spam folder. That would stop most of it, I think.

If you use gmail, you can append a label after your normal username that can be easily filtered.

For instance, if your email is [email protected], you can change your contact in AMCAS (and your secondaries) to [email protected]. All your med school emails will be sent to [email protected]. The trick is, anything after the + doesn't matter in terms of where it gets sent. You still see all the emails in your [email protected] inbox. But now you can set up a filter to automatically label and not send to spam all emails sent to [email protected]

If you use gmail, you can append a label after your normal username that can be easily filtered.

For instance, if your email is [email protected], you can change your contact in AMCAS (and your secondaries) to [email protected]. All your med school emails will be sent to [email protected]. The trick is, anything after the + doesn't matter in terms of where it gets sent. You still see all the emails in your [email protected] inbox. But now you can set up a filter to automatically label and not send to spam all emails sent to [email protected]
I wish all med schools would get with the program though...there's been at least one so far that refused to recognize "+" as a valid e-mail character. AMCAS takes it fine though.

Just make a filter that sends all .edu email to your inbox. Then things from med schools will never go to spam.