A Gentle Reminder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is absolutely the most stressful event of my life. I've been rejected by most of the programs that I applied to, but I'm holding one confirmed waitlist spot, and I suspect there are a few others, but I have not yet been offered an acceptance.

I'm not going to ask anybody to give up a spot that they are interested in, but if anybody is holding a place at the University of Alabama MSTP and you know for sure that you will not be going there, would you please consider withdrawing? I don't think I can take much more of this! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you know you're #1 on the waiting list, there may be others on the waiting list who will first benefit from someone on the accepted list giving up their spots.

I hope you have some backup MD-only schools. I can't emphasize enough the importance of such. The applicant pool depth is different every year so someone who could have easily gotten in last year can have a hard time this year and vice versa. Backup schools are key.

coldchemist said:
This is absolutely the most stressful event of my life.

Hang in there and keep the faith Coldchemist!!!! Here's to hoping you come off the waitlist VERY soon!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Coldchemist, just wanted to pitch in some more support... I totally hear you on this being a ridiculously stressful process. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you--best of luck and hope you get the good news soon!

evenstar said:
Hey Coldchemist, just wanted to pitch in some more support... I totally hear you on this being a ridiculously stressful process. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you--best of luck and hope you get the good news soon!

dittos man. sending you mental karma vibes :thumbup:

I am in a similar situation....is anyone planning on NOT going to Mayo? I am still on their waitlist.

Funny twist: My parents sold our house because they are retiring and going to follow me to my next destination, wherever that may be. They need to move out by the end of May.

Good luck Coldchemist, I know how you feel :oops:

hbfreak said:
I am in a similar situation....is anyone planning on NOT going to Mayo? I am still on their waitlist.

I think my coworker just withdrew from it.

Cold Chemist and Evenstar I didn't apply to any of these 2 schools but I wish you 2 the best and hope spots open up soon.

Hey, thanks a lot for the support, guys! I don't know my position on the waitlist, but I don't care who gets off it as long as it moves! Thanks again for your encouraging words. :D

coldchemist said:
It's raining today, but it'll probably be sunny tomorrow. Regardless, God will provide all my needs

I was very moved by your optimism. Hand in there. I have a friend who applied to 15+ schools but only got two interviews. Last friday he was notified that he was accepted. I was so worried for him for the last two months. See, eventually he came through.

PS. I've always loved Seattle (very regretful that I didn't finish my application to U Wash). The past two days remind me of Seattle, overcast, drizzling, wet and fresh air, so poetic ... ... :)

coldchemist,

the UAB MSTP has 6 people on their waitlist?
and you're one of them?
whoa now that's pressure.

i'm pulling for you!
good luck

Hey ANT--thanks for the support. BTW, love the avatar.

u2psalm40 said:
the UAB MSTP has 6 people on their waitlist?
and you're one of them?
whoa now that's pressure.

Tell me about it! Thanks to you to, psalm.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I was told by the administrator. Maybe she thought I was asking how many acceptances had been given out? But the whole conversation was about the waitlist...who knows. :D

coldchemist said:
That's what I was told by the administrator. Maybe she thought I was asking how many acceptances had been given out? But the whole conversation was about the waitlist...who knows. :D

Looks like someone withdrew from UAB! Hopefully, you'll get the spot!!!

news from mayo waitlist: The class if full and I am on the lower third of the list.

So, in response to this email, all I could think of is a quote from Dumb and Dumber when Jim Carey asks the red-head about his chance of hooking up with her and she says one in a million:

"So you're sayin' I have a chance!"

Ha, we'll see. Looks like I am stuck in Illinois

Yeah, path...I just saw that! Just a few more...(I think)

I withdrew from UAB recently and i know several who have multiple options and will probably withdraw from UAB---no worries.

I am accepted at a program that I like, but the on the waitlist for another one that liked just as much. I am one of ten, but they didn't tell me where in that ten. Anyone know about the U of M?

From some of the above posts, I take it that it is okay to call a program administrator and ask where you are on the waiting list? I didn't know that this was allowed.

That isn't what I did. I called the administrator of the MSTP to ask about some strange mail that was coming to me from the undergraduate school (invitations to apply, transfer, etc.). While I had her on the phone I just asked what my status was and how many people were on the waitlist. I didn't ask where I was on the list because I thought that might be pushing it.

ridirkulous said:
I withdrew from UAB recently and i know several who have multiple options and will probably withdraw from UAB---no worries.

Congrats on Pitt and Baylor! I think we may have met in the regular MD interviewing area. Were you there in late Feb? If I remember correctly, you did the Weds/Thurs interviews, while me and the other applicant (female, redhead) did the Thurs/Fri interviews. Again, congrats and thanks for giving up that spot!

Gfunk6 said:
Hey Coldchemist, did I take you out for lunch or dinner at the UAB MSTP? You sound familiar. Anyway, I hope to see you matriculating in July!

Not sure...who are you? :)

Newquagmire said:
guess what i just noticed?

happy bday coldchemist :luck:

Hey, thanks Newquagmire. A little older and hopefully a little wiser!

coldchemist,

in the same boat @ cwru. good luck with your uab app. sure things will work out well for you in the end :thumbup:

Thanks, fuzzylogic. Good luck with Case!

Coldchemist, I have some potentially good news for you. I spoke to our MSTP administrator and she told me that 6 of 8 slots were filled. They are going to go to the waitlist and your name is near the top.

In her words, your chances of being accepted are "good." Best of luck and I hope to see you in the summer. :)

I am extremely hesitant to get my hopes up...but that is incredible news, gfunk! Very, very exciting indeed.

BTW, I figured out who you are, and I don't think we had the opportunity to meet. Regardless, I am looking forward to the retreat in case I am accepted, and hopefully I will see you there.

CC