A good metaphor for GPA/MCAT/ECs in terms of medical school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This post was excellent, and it really helped me evaluate my application and understand how medical schools view applicants. I am surprised it didn't get more views/responses, especially considering what is getting 100+ responses (should you drink after or before an interview? :laugh:) Thanks OP!

Members don't see this ad.

So a termite infestation would be like a criminal record or IA that goes unreported?

And where do they home values of neighbors come in to play?

The real question is will the OP's analogy also apply to real life when you're done med school?
dFR0J.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
So a termite infestation would be like a criminal record or IA that goes unreported?

And where do they home values of neighbors come in to play?

Termite infestation can be easily fixed - serious IA and criminal records cannot.

I would say a criminal record/serious IA would be more like those chinese-made sulfur-intoxicated drywall. It would require completely stripping down the house to be even considered habitable.

I guess I'm kinda sitting in a nicely decorated mansion then. Too bad it's only in a modest neighborhood lol... Upward trends count for anything?! Ha.

whats a mortgage? good connections? I want a sick house in a sick neighborhood...decorating is for p***y's

What about all those underdog success stories?

How'd they get in?

...sigh. everyone, just get good grades, high MCAT, and interesting ECs and you'll get into med school. It's not hard. Half of all people who apply get in somewhere.

So the metaphor is flawed?

No.

Pretend that you want to buy a nice house for your family

Your GPA (viewed as a general range) is the neighborhood the house is in
Your MCAT (compared as a standarized test) is the actual house
All your ECs are the renovations/decorations within the house.
Good interviewing skills (good personal statement, and strong LoRs) are equivalent to a great realtor with a great sales pitch that knows every feature of the house and is very enthusiastic about it.

The metaphor has been extended :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What about a break-in that completely trashes the furnishings and the interior of a house?

What about all those underdog success stories?

How'd they get in?

If you have low GPA -

You would have to sell a luxury gated mansion in a poor neighborhood

If you have a low MCAT -

You would have to sell a run-down shack in a up-scale neighborhood in downtown Manhattan.

Its doable.

ECs as renovations. Something you should have but unless you have something incredible, it can only do so much to make up for your house or neighborhood. I like it. Thanks.

I really want to go into "What Are My Chances" and start a thread with a picture of a house.:cool:

To add to this metaphor,

Some EC's and life experiences/accomplishments are equivalent to "Neighborhood Improvement Programs."