A Good Surgery Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Journal(s) in surgery is good peer-review material that would resemble the presentation of topics in American Family Physician? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Which presentation are you looking for? Review articles?

All of the major ones have these...some of the big G Surg ones include Annals of Surgery, Archives of Surgery and the Journal of the ACS.

What Journal(s) in surgery is good peer-review material that would resemble the presentation of topics in American Family Physician? Thanks.

Hmmm...since I would venture that few of us, if any, read American Family Physician and wouldn't know how the topics are presented, perhaps if you told us what you are looking for, we could better advise you.

At any rate, the well respected surgical journals would be JACS, Annals, Archives, Surgery. The American Journal of Surgery has a lot of "user friendly" management and review articles, including some on "How I do it"; perhaps this is what you are looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahem. I skimmed through a few issues of AFP when I was an MS-III on my FP rotation! :)

They have a friendly, easy-on-the-eyes format for their review articles that usually include some nice graphics and key summaries.

Ahem. I skimmed through a few issues of AFP when I was an MS-III on my FP rotation! :)

They have a friendly, easy-on-the-eyes format for their review articles that usually include some nice graphics and key summaries.

I've also noticed AFP has a lot of "Management of..." or "Approach to..." type articles, which are very 3rd and 4th year friendly. It had a great article entitled "Approach to Abdominal Pain" that was terrific for a 4th year looking for a more in depth yet not-too-technical review (or a primary care physician I suppose). Very "user-friendly" articles as Blade notes.

Well Jeebus, I never meant that none of us had *ever* read it. I have too but MS 3 was about 5 years ago for you and a million for me. ;)

What's that mean - they have hot chix in pictures? ;)

Ok, I get it...articles like "Management of Bowel Obstruction" type things. I dunno...what do you guys think? Probably more articles like that in AJS than any place else.

Ok, I get it...articles like "Management of Bowel Obstruction" type things. I dunno...what do you guys think? Probably more articles like that in AJS than any place else.

Yeah, probably more so in AJS than in Annals, Archives or JACS.

NEJM occasionally has surgical diseases in their review articles - e.g. appendicitis, cholecystitis, etc.

yes, you all hit it pretty much right on the mark--something 'user friendly' like AFP for a 4th year student. It sounds like AJS is the way to go.

Current problems in surgery and surgical clinics of north america both have in-depth review articles where 1 edition is devoted to a single topic.

For colorectal DCR has a nice "current practice" section with good review articles. Also the ASCRS website has nice reviews on their "core subjects" which are very practical and well written. http://www.fascrs.org/physicians/education/core_subjects/

As long as you only really want the information and aren't picky about how "good" the journal is, I'd probably suggest the "throwaways" Contemporary Surgery and Surgical Rounds. Lots of short review articles in there. Be forewarned though, quoting that is sort of like quoting Reader's Digest. It's not really going to impress anyone. Both are focused on the practicing surgeon though.