A International Student Applying to US Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShadowHuskey

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US citizen planning on getting my bachelors degree at Tel Aviv University. My question is whether doing your undergraduate studies internationally hurts your chances of getting accepted to medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I understand, US medical schools have a limited number of openings for international students. So in this sense it is more competitive.

Some schools require you (international students) to be a permanent resident of the US.
e.g. University of South Alabama COM http://www.usahealthsystem.com/body.cfm?id=1639

Look at the schools you are interested in to determine if you would be eligible to apply.

I highly suggest doing an undergrad in the States. There are lots of schools that require you to have an undergraduate education at accredited American institutions for admissions purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly suggest doing an undergrad in the States. There are lots of schools that require you to have an undergraduate education at accredited American institutions for admissions purposes.
:thumbup::thumbup:

You'll still have no problem applying caribbean :laugh:

I am a US citizen planning on getting my bachelors degree at Tel Aviv University. My question is whether doing your undergraduate studies internationally hurts your chances of getting accepted to medical schools?

If you're getting a bachelor's degree in Tel Aviv... with the intent of pursuing medical school in the US... why not start in the US to begin with? Yeah, Israel is nice and all. But still.

Most, if not all school require X amount of years of coursework be done in the US or Canada. So, that being said... your best bet is Sackler in Israel if you really wanted to do your bachelor's in Tel Aviv. Otherwise, go to an American school.

US med schools vary widely in their requirements for those with undergrad coursework taken at an international school. They will require from 30-90 semester hours at a US or Canadian accredited institution (and some, a bachelors degree) to include (almost always) all the prerequisites.