1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

A International Student Applying to US Medical School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ShadowHuskey, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ShadowHuskey

ShadowHuskey Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am a US citizen planning on getting my bachelors degree at Tel Aviv University. My question is whether doing your undergraduate studies internationally hurts your chances of getting accepted to medical schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fortitude

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    As far as I understand, US medical schools have a limited number of openings for international students. So in this sense it is more competitive.

Some schools require you (international students) to be a permanent resident of the US.
    e.g. University of South Alabama COM http://www.usahealthsystem.com/body.cfm?id=1639

Look at the schools you are interested in to determine if you would be eligible to apply.

4. Mithril

Mithril Johnny Canuck
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I highly suggest doing an undergrad in the States. There are lots of schools that require you to have an undergraduate education at accredited American institutions for admissions purposes.

5. 235788

235788 God Complex
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup::thumbup:

You'll still have no problem applying caribbean :laugh:

6. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're getting a bachelor's degree in Tel Aviv... with the intent of pursuing medical school in the US... why not start in the US to begin with? Yeah, Israel is nice and all. But still.

Most, if not all school require X amount of years of coursework be done in the US or Canada. So, that being said... your best bet is Sackler in Israel if you really wanted to do your bachelor's in Tel Aviv. Otherwise, go to an American school.

7. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

US med schools vary widely in their requirements for those with undergrad coursework taken at an international school. They will require from 30-90 semester hours at a US or Canadian accredited institution (and some, a bachelors degree) to include (almost always) all the prerequisites.