a laptop for residency?

Started by hzma
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hzma

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
Just wondering if any of u used certain programs or stuff on ur computer during residency for residency work? I want to buy a laptop that'll last through residency, trying to pick which one. Whats the most complex thing computer related u had to do during res?

thanks!
 
hzma said:
Hello,
Just wondering if any of u used certain programs or stuff on ur computer during residency for residency work? I want to buy a laptop that'll last through residency, trying to pick which one. Whats the most complex thing computer related u had to do during res?

thanks!

I had to try to stop Skynet from becoming self-aware. Other than that, you just need something that runs powerpoint. Lots of harddrive space for pictures and crap would be good, too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are gonna get a laptop, FIND a copy of the JHU surg path program. Very useful, the most useful program Ive seen yet for path residents.
 
Matte Kudesai said:
You can get excellent laptops for under 1,000 dollars. AVERATEC is a good brand. Mine has a 100 GB HD, built in wireless (G), AMD processor, and a DVD burner all for under 800.00 dollars. I beat the crap out of it and it still roars.
http://www.averatec.com/

Just a second plug for Averatec - I have a 2 year old Averatec 3120V which I beat the heck out of and it works wonderfully.
 
LADoc00 said:
If you are gonna get a laptop, FIND a copy of the JHU surg path program. Very useful, the most useful program Ive seen yet for path residents.


whats the JHU surg path prg and where do I get it? What does it do? Thanks a bunch everyone, I've actually never heard of avaratec- i'll definately look into it! 🙂
 
Just go to a path residency program that provides you with a free laptop and software.