a laptop for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hzma

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if any of u used certain programs or stuff on ur computer during residency for residency work? I want to buy a laptop that'll last through residency, trying to pick which one. Whats the most complex thing computer related u had to do during res?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hzma said:
Hello,
Just wondering if any of u used certain programs or stuff on ur computer during residency for residency work? I want to buy a laptop that'll last through residency, trying to pick which one. Whats the most complex thing computer related u had to do during res?

thanks!

I had to try to stop Skynet from becoming self-aware. Other than that, you just need something that runs powerpoint. Lots of harddrive space for pictures and crap would be good, too.

Cabbage Head said:
I had to try to stop Skynet from becoming self-aware.

LOL! Pure genius. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are gonna get a laptop, FIND a copy of the JHU surg path program. Very useful, the most useful program Ive seen yet for path residents.

LADoc00 said:
If you are gonna get a laptop, FIND a copy of the JHU surg path program. Very useful, the most useful program Ive seen yet for path residents.
That image-viewer is also one of the clunkiest to use!

Matte Kudesai said:
You can get excellent laptops for under 1,000 dollars. AVERATEC is a good brand. Mine has a 100 GB HD, built in wireless (G), AMD processor, and a DVD burner all for under 800.00 dollars. I beat the crap out of it and it still roars.
http://www.averatec.com/

Just a second plug for Averatec - I have a 2 year old Averatec 3120V which I beat the heck out of and it works wonderfully.

LADoc00 said:

whats the JHU surg path prg and where do I get it? What does it do? Thanks a bunch everyone, I've actually never heard of avaratec- i'll definately look into it! :)

Just go to a path residency program that provides you with a free laptop and software.