A little help, if you can. [Biochemistry]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabloammar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not expecting much but hey it doesn't hurt to ask does it?

Can anyone tell me of any book or of any source really where I can study these topics?

1. Chemistry of Carbohydrates
a. Definition, classification, and biological importance
b. Monosaccharides: Structure, classification and propterties -- isomerism
c. Stereoisomerism
d. Oligosaccharides: Disaccharides - structure and their importance
e. Polysaccharides: Homo and heteropolysaccharides - structure and their functions

2. Chemistry of Proteins, Amino Acids, and Peptides
a. Proteins: Definition, Classification, and functions
b. Amino Acids: Classification, properties, side chains of amino acids, charge properties
c. Peptides: Biologically important peptides - GSH, insulin and structure
d. Structural Organization, conformation and denaturation

3. Chemistry of Lipids
b. Simple lipids: Triacylglycerol and waxes - Structure and composition
c. Compound lipids: Phospholipids, sphingolipids, glycolipids and their composition and function
d. Derived lipids: Fatty acids - saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, and their properties.

4. Chemistry of Nucleic Acids
a. Definition, biological importance
b. Classification and composition
c. Purine and pyrmidine bases, nucleosides, nucleotides, and biologically important nucleotides
d. DNA: Structure and function
e. RNA: Types of RNA, structure and functions

I basically just typed down what I saw in the syllabus. I'm from Pakistan if the stuff doesn't seem like you've seen it before. They teach ******ed stuff in unbelievably long detail here. All I've got are Indian books [because the Indians learn the stuff as we do], which basically just say 'you've got NO way to understand me. All you can do is memorize memorize and memorize.' Which, I've learned, is almost impossible. I can't memorize every single detail. Anatomy is more than enough for that.

So, I just wanted to ask, if anyone could help. Seemed futile but again I say, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hope someone can help! Thanks!

P.S. the proper stuff that they teach in America and anywhere abroad actually [metabolism and stuff], that they teach us in second year, using Lippincott's Biochemistry, if anyone's wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Lehninger's Biochemistry... torrent the 5th edition ebook

Lehninger's Biochemistry... torrent the 5th edition ebook

+1. That was my book for Biochem in undergrad, and it was really helpful.

For med school, Lippincott's Illustrated Review Biochem is good, but I see you guys are already using that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I basically just typed down what I saw in the syllabus. I'm from Pakistan if the stuff doesn't seem like you've seen it before. They teach ******ed stuff in unbelievably long detail here. All I've got are Indian books [because the Indians learn the stuff as we do], which basically just say 'you've got NO way to understand me. All you can do is memorize memorize and memorize.' Which, I've learned, is almost impossible. I can't memorize every single detail. Anatomy is more than enough for that.

So, I just wanted to ask, if anyone could help. Seemed futile but again I say, it doesn't hurt to ask.

P.S. the proper stuff that they teach in America and anywhere abroad actually [metabolism and stuff], that they teach us in second year, using Lippincott's Biochemistry, if anyone's wondering.

I'm from America and I went to a crappy state school. I know what every topic you have there is and they all seem like basic biochem topics that every med student or bio graduate should be aware of.

I'm not expecting much but hey it doesn't hurt to ask does it?

Can anyone tell me of any book or of any source really where I can study these topics?

1. Chemistry of Carbohydrates
b. Monosaccharides: Structure, classification and propterties -- isomerism
c. Stereoisomerism
d. Oligosaccharides: Disaccharides - structure and their importance
e. Polysaccharides: Homo and heteropolysaccharides - structure and their functions

2. Chemistry of Proteins, Amino Acids, and Peptides
a. Proteins: Definition, Classification, and functions
b. Amino Acids: Classification, properties, side chains of amino acids, charge properties
c. Peptides: Biologically important peptides - GSH, insulin and structure
d. Structural Organization, conformation and denaturation

3. Chemistry of Lipids
b. Simple lipids: Triacylglycerol and waxes - Structure and composition
c. Compound lipids: Phospholipids, sphingolipids, glycolipids and their composition and function
d. Derived lipids: Fatty acids - saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, and their properties.

4. Chemistry of Nucleic Acids
a. Definition, biological importance
b. Classification and composition
c. Purine and pyrmidine bases, nucleosides, nucleotides, and biologically important nucleotides
d. DNA: Structure and function
e. RNA: Types of RNA, structure and functions

I suggest Lippincott's, which you're already familiar with. Harper's works too, since some profs like to ask qs directly out of it. In undergrad, we had Stryer/Berg supplemented with Devlin's . I prefer those to Lehinger.

Ask your seniors and see what they have to say. If that doesn't work, go to the copy shop the students frequent. They usually have a kind of "sparknotes by students" for each major course which contains the most commonly tested material at the college. It's called different things in different Asiatic countries.

this stuff isn't ******ed, it's the basics for understanding biochemistry. i'm not saying that you should memorize the urea cycle in full detail with arrow pushing but if you don't know understand what dna is, you're gonna have a bad time

I can see where your confusion comes from, but you have to understand the mentality of Professors in these regions. The syllabus will essentially be a cut and paste of the poc of a textbook, and any esoteric fact in that textbook (or any other if they choose to **** with you) is fair game. Makes it pretty impossible to study for tests.

It might seem like Mr. "I'm from America and I went to a crappy state school. I know what every topic you have there is and they all seem like basic biochem topics that every med student or bio graduate should be aware of." knows what he's talking about, but when you actually sit for these tests, you will realize how completely ****ed you are.

I'm from America and I went to a crappy state school. I know what every topic you have there is and they all seem like basic biochem topics that every med student or bio graduate should be aware of.

Many foreign medical schools start after high school, so OP might not have had any biochem before. I don't know how med schools in Pakistan work, but that might be an explanation. I feel like med school biochem doesn't focus on the chemical basis, so Lippincott probably wouldn't be the best teaching tool for someone who has never seen this stuff before.

Many foreign medical schools start after high school, so OP might not have had any biochem before. I don't know how med schools in Pakistan work, but that might be an explanation. I feel like med school biochem doesn't focus on the chemical basis, so Lippincott probably wouldn't be the best teaching tool for someone who has never seen this stuff before.

I understand. I'm not suggesting the OP should necessarily know them all right now, but he seems to think that learning basic biochemistry principles is some ******ed Pakistani concept; I just want him to know that those are indeed things he needs to learn.

Mark's basic biochem is a good resource for, as it says, the very basics. also relates it clinically. overall id say pretty good

No no it's not that I don't know any basic biochemistry. [did A levels] But all the foreign books I've seen [Mark's, Lehninger's, Lippincott] don't work with our FIRST year course. Because in first year over here the only books that can actually get you a good score in the exam(s) are huge-ass Indian books. They're HUGE.

They contain information on diseases of foxes and rat sperm and God knows what. And the questions that they ask us aren't clinically relevant at ALL. If they were, I'd be much happier and wouldn't complain too much. I mean it's just a little unfair that most of the biochem they teach in first year over here is complete memorization. Draw the structure of hemoglobin, like that's gonna help me become a surgeon for sure.

I actually took Mark's to my professor at college [who also happens to be the Vice Principal of the college], he said this book isn't for us. Wth man? I hope everyone can see what's wrong with this setup.

Other than that, we have Anatomy and Physiology in first year, and they're pretty much the same as everywhere else [as they should be] but again they have more emphasis on memorization than clinical concepts. I tried doing Gray's Review along with the guy who tops my class regularly, he couldn't do half the questions, I couldn't do half the questions. Sorry for the long post, just a little rant.

Thanks for all the help though!
Lippincott's Review actually comes in handy for second year [where all the metabolism and DNA stuff is taught] so thanks again for that! and #4 posted a website, I looked that up and it was REALLY helpful for my exam [it was two days ago].

Whoa, dude! Harsh.

I myself attend a medical school right here in Pakistan and umm we aren't recommended ANY textbook with an Indian author and neither are we required to memorize, memorize and memorize without understanding anything. “******ed”, really? You don’t have to generalize all the medical schools here. I'm not in any fancy schmancy private school, btw (ha too expensive lol) just a little old govt one.

For biochemistry our suggested reading is Lippincott's (which you also own), Harper's and if we've got the time (which we obviously don't) Lehninger's and/or Mark’s. You will find all or most of what you need in the book you already have and Harper, sometimes in only one of them. You said that these don’t work with your course but you know what, screw that! You obviously think they are better, stick with those.

I get where you're coming from about the whole rote learning thing - seeing you were an A level student - but you know, try out books/websites/resources that work for YOU. If everybody is going through resources you do not like then don’t use them. Simple. And y'all (A level kids) vent about a load of thing tbh. I do too lol but, you know, don’t take it out on Pakistan and its bechara system especially online.

you dont want to memorize everything, you will have to read everything and figure out what is important