A Little Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techmed07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help and what to do?

My academic record.

Freshmen Year

Intro Chem-A
Trig- A
English - A
Anthro- A

Stats- A
Chem I/Lab- A
Physics I/Lab- A
Art Apperciation- A

Sophomore Year

Chem II/Lab- A
Bio I/Lab-A
HonorscSpeech- W
Honors Poli Sci- B+
Personal Fittness- A

It was a crazy hard semester for me some reason, I got under some heavy stress. I was wondering how bad is the W is going to hurt my chances? I decided to come on here because I feel a little more comfortable. I have done a summer program (SMDEP @ Columbia),I am in the honors college, I am a research scholar. I am really worrying about this hurting my chances at some of the top schools... my dream school is columbia. My school is really nothing amazing, however my biology I class was pretty hard. I need some direction on what should do for the remainder of my undergraduate. I feel alone at my school. My high school was really diverse, the change started to get me a little last semester. I am thinking of transferring to another university. Only thing that is holding me back is I am really not confident if I can hang at that level you know? I just started to doing well in school my freshmen year of college, I was near the bottom of my class in high school. It is a constant fear in the back of my mind, that the brief period of success was a fluke. Anybody go through something similar?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

My academic record.

Freshmen Year

Intro Chem-A
Trig- A
English - A
Anthro- A

Stats- A
Chem I/Lab- A
Physics I/Lab- A
Art Apperciation- A

Sophomore Year

Chem II/Lab- A
Bio I/Lab-A
HonorscSpeech- W
Honors Poli Sci- B+
Personal Fittness- A

It was a crazy hard semester for me some reason, I got under some heavy stress. I was wondering how bad is the W is going to hurt my chances? I decided to come on here because I feel a little more comfortable. I have done a summer program (SMDEP @ Columbia),I am in the honors college, I am a research scholar. I am really worrying about this hurting my chances at some of the top schools... my dream school is columbia. My school is really nothing amazing, however my biology I class was pretty hard. I need some direction on what should do for the remainder of my undergraduate. I feel alone at my school. My high school was really diverse, the change started to get me a little last semester. I am thinking of transferring to another university. Only thing that is holding me back is I am really not confident if I can hang at that level you know? I just started to doing well in school my freshmen year of college, I was near the bottom of my class in high school. It is a constant fear in the back of my mind, that the brief period of success was a fluke. Anybody go through something similar?:scared:
Relax and go hang out with your friends. You're doing fine. Congrats on the awesome grades.

My academic record.

Freshmen Year

Intro Chem-A
Trig- A
English - A
Anthro- A

Stats- A
Chem I/Lab- A
Physics I/Lab- A
Art Apperciation- A

Sophomore Year

Chem II/Lab- A
Bio I/Lab-A
HonorscSpeech- W
Honors Poli Sci- B+
Personal Fittness- A

There is no reason to freak out. I think you are letting these crazy sdn premeds get to you. The 'fear of failure' in small doses is healthy and is a great motivational tool, but too much of it can be counterproductive. I felt the same way you did during the fall semester of sophmore year once I got heavy into the BCPM courses. Even though I performed well freshman year, I doubted my ability to handle multiple science classes at a time. My grades midway through the semester werent as high as I expected them to be and I was constantly stressed. I realized that I was pushing too hard and was trying to do too much at one time, so I began to relax and put my focus towards one thing at a time, regardless of the consequences. I cleaned up on exams the rest of that semester and havent looked back since.

Believe me, you have the ability b/c you've proven that already. Taking multiple science classes means that you have to manage your time well and study more EFFICIENTLY. But you also have to relax. Its not the end of the world if you dont maintain a 4.0 every semester. Yes, it should be your goal, but if it doesnt happen, it doesnt happen. Also, stay away from the neurotic, type A classmates of yours. They're just a source of additional stress.

And no, the W wont hurt you, just as long as you dont receive another one. As far as the diversity concern, I'm used to being the only minority in a classroom setting, so I can't help you in that regard (but if you think it will hinder your academics, consider leaving). The main thing is to have unwavering confidence in your natural ability, especially since you have done so well already. You'll be surprised at how well you adapt to certain situations by having confidence.

Trust me, you will be fine. Learn to relax and take things one at a time. Congrats on your early successes. Goodluck :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

My academic record.

Freshmen Year

Intro Chem-A
Trig- A
English - A
Anthro- A

Stats- A
Chem I/Lab- A
Physics I/Lab- A
Art Apperciation- A

Sophomore Year

Chem II/Lab- A
Bio I/Lab-A
HonorscSpeech- W
Honors Poli Sci- B+
Personal Fittness- A

1 or 2 W's wont hurt. nice gpa. keep it up and slay ur mcat :thumbup:

There is no reason to freak out. I think you are letting these crazy sdn premeds get to you. The 'fear of failure' in small doses is healthy and is a great motivational tool, but too much of it can be counterproductive. I felt the same way you did during the fall semester of sophmore year once I got heavy into the BCPM courses. Even though I performed well freshman year, I doubted my ability to handle multiple science classes at a time. My grades midway through the semester werent as high as I expected them to be and I was constantly stressed. I realized that I was pushing too hard and was trying to do too much at one time, so I began to relax and put my focus towards one thing at a time, regardless of the consequences. I cleaned up on exams the rest of that semester and havent looked back since.

Believe me, you have the ability b/c you've proven that already. Taking multiple science classes means that you have to manage your time well and study more EFFICIENTLY. But you also have to relax. Its not the end of the world if you dont maintain a 4.0 every semester. Yes, it should be your goal, but if it doesnt happen, it doesnt happen. Also, stay away from the neurotic, type A classmates of yours. They're just a source of additional stress.

And no, the W wont hurt you, just as long as you dont receive another one. As far as the diversity concern, I'm used to being the only minority in a classroom setting, so I can't help you in that regard (but if you think it will hinder your academics, consider leaving). The main thing is to have unwavering confidence in your natural ability, especially since you have done so well already. You'll be surprised at how well you adapt to certain situations by having confidence.

Trust me, you will be fine. Learn to relax and take things one at a time. Congrats on your early successes. Goodluck :)

I had a lot of confidence entering my last semester. However, on my first biology exam ( which, I studied like a beast for) I got a C+. The class is my school ultimate premed weed out class. Every class before this has no significant (my professor said this himself). I ended up with 90.9 which was an A. But I felt I had to WORK soo hard for that A. Everyone around me who was working as hard as I was was doing better. I scarificed a lot that semester, I had no life. I just don't understand why I did not do well, I was so used to scoring cosistently at the top of my class and in this instance I was near the lower ends of As'. I almost feel like I hit an academic ceiling, like my best was not enough, well not enough for an A.

I had a lot of confidence entering my last semester. However, on my first biology exam ( which, I studied like a beast for) I got a C+. The class is my school ultimate premed weed out class. Every class before this has no significant (my professor said this himself). I ended up with 90.9 which was an A. But I felt I had to WORK soo hard for that A. Everyone around me who was working as hard as I was was doing better. I scarificed a lot that semester, I had no life. I just don't understand why I did not do well, I was so used to scoring cosistently at the top of my class and in this instance I was near the lower ends of As'. I almost feel like I hit an academic ceiling, like my best was not enough, well not enough for an A.

This is all that matters, bottom line. You received an A in a major weed-out course at your university. Do yourself a favor and stop comparing yourself to others. Your pride is skewing your sense of reality. Does it really matter that they scored a few percentage points higher than you? There are no style points on the AMCAS application, so do what you can to keep getting A's.

How about this. Pretend you're a premed advisor and someone asked you for advice, with this person repeating what you said in your last two posts word for word. What would you say to him/her? Im telling you man, just relax. You should be proud that you received a well-earned A in a difficult weed-out course, not disappointed b/c you werent ranked #1.

This is all that matters, bottom line. You received an A in a major weed-out course at your university. Do yourself a favor and stop comparing yourself to others. Your pride is skewing your sense of reality. Does it really matter that they scored a few percentage points higher than you? There are no style points on the AMCAS application, so do what you can to keep getting A's.

How about this. Pretend you're a premed advisor and someone asked you for advice, with this person repeating what you said in your last two posts word for word. What would you say to him/her? Im telling you man, just relax. You should be proud that you received a well-earned A in a difficult weed-out course, not disappointed b/c you werent ranked #1.

Well said, I don't know what is wrong with me. My biggest problem is that I compare myself to others. This New Year, I am making a resolution not to. Thank you for the wake up call!

Well said, I don't know what is wrong with me. My biggest problem is that I compare myself to others. This New Year, I am making a resolution not to. Thank you for the wake up call!

No problem. Just continue to handle biz. You will do well come application time ;)

^ i agree. you have EXCELLENT grades. 1 W is NOTHING, just don't make a habit of it and you will be fine.

congrats on getting through your first real "rough" semester relatively unscathed (academically, that is. and don't stress about losing the 4.0. your grades are still much better than that of ppl columbia accepts on average). learn from whatever mistakes you think you made, use your school's resources if need be. dont feel like you have to do this all on your own. aren't there premed/ science major friends you can study/network with? surely there is a premed club or something..lol and if not, maybe you could create one!

also please dont get on the one-track-mind deal sdners have-- perfect gpa, perfect mcat, research, bla bla bla and down the line. sure, having these things are great, but be sure to take care of yourself (go out, have fun, do things YOU want to do and things unique to your interests that you find relaxing).

gl next semester!

My academic record.

Freshmen Year

Intro Chem-A
Trig- A
English - A
Anthro- A

Stats- A
Chem I/Lab- A
Physics I/Lab- A
Art Apperciation- A

Sophomore Year

Chem II/Lab- A
Bio I/Lab-A
HonorscSpeech- W
Honors Poli Sci- B+
Personal Fittness- A

um...if this record is something to be worried about then i'm DOOMED! :) congrats on the grades though!