A little problem at the interview (would the PD tell other PDs?!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestcoast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically what happened is that an interviewer asked me about one of my work experiences. It was about a program I helped develop for the school and hospital.
He asked me about how I "scheduled" the appts even though that was just a minor aspect of the program. The meat of it should be about the activities I developed for the students and residents. So I talked in depth about those activities and basically forgot to talk about the scheduling (which basically involved me making a couple phone calls on the sides. I never thought that was worth talking about....). He was like, "uh-huh" with a sense of distrust.
What if he told the PD about it and the PD would mass-email other PDs about me being a liar? That would just be mean.
I mean, I even presented at a conference about the program (also in my application). No way I would've made that up..... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Relax...he was probably daydreaming and didn't hear a word you said anyway

Basically what happened is that an interviewer asked me about one of my work experiences. It was about a program I helped develop for the school and hospital.
He asked me about how I "scheduled" the appts even though that was just a minor aspect of the program. The meat of it should be about the activities I developed for the students and residents. So I talked in depth about those activities and basically forgot to talk about the scheduling (which basically involved me making a couple phone calls on the sides. I never thought that was worth talking about....). He was like, "uh-huh" with a sense of distrust.
What if he told the PD about it and the PD would mass-email other PDs about me being a liar? That would just be mean.
I mean, I even presented at a conference about the program (also in my application). No way I would've made that up..... :scared:

Don't worry about it. I am sure no one cares about how you schedule appts. The fact that you developed the program is much more important and impressive.

I guess I'm missing t he part where you came off as a liar. Sounds like you came off as unresponsive and a bad interviewee. That certainly won't help you at the particular program, but it doesn't translate into a blacklisting mass email. I've actually never heard of PDs sending mass emails as you describe ( I am not sure if you are trying to be funny). PDs have been known to talk about applicants to their buddy PDs informally, but they would never memorialize it in writing.

See, the problem isn't whether I answered HIS question or whether I'm a "bad interviewee". The problem is whether the interviewer should have focused on one particularly small part of my experience. Like if you wrote about doing A, B, and C then a little D on top and he simply asked, "oh, tell me about D" in a way that he thought all you did was D.
That was just unexpected. I've already been to 8 programs and that was the only interview that struck me.

I actually remember reading here on SDN about some ortho PD telling the applicant that he will make sure he won't match into the field. That's why I freaked out.

See, the problem isn't whether I answered HIS question or whether I'm a "bad interviewee". The problem is whether the interviewer should have focused on one particularly small part of my experience. Like if you wrote about doing A, B, and C then a little D on top and he simply asked, "oh, tell me about D" in a way that he thought all you did was D.
That was just unexpected. I've already been to 8 programs and that was the only interview that struck me.

I actually remember reading here on SDN about some ortho PD telling the applicant that he will make sure he won't match into the field. That's why I freaked out.

You can't control what aspect of your experiences is going to interest the interviewer. If the guy is really interested in the scheduling aspects, you just have to go with it. He could interview you on gladiator movies if he wanted -- he's the interviewer. Not giving him the kind of answers he wanted doesn't mean he thinks you lied or feels the need to blacklist you from other programs. But it may mean he's not interested in having you in his program.

You can't control what aspect of your experiences is going to interest the interviewer. If the guy is really interested in the scheduling aspects, you just have to go with it. He could interview you on gladiator movies if he wanted -- he's the interviewer. Not giving him the kind of answers he wanted doesn't mean he thinks you lied or feels the need to blacklist you from other programs. But it may mean he's not interested in having you in his program.

i think OP made a good point though. I have encountered several interviewers who simply asked really awkward and insensitive questions... and it wasn't easy to answer properly

one asked me, "based on your ability to speak *an Asian language*, have you encountered any patients who only speak *the language*? Yes? What differs those patients from your regular patients?"
i was kinda shocked by the interviewer.... i said to him, "One said patient was a tourist and he came in with a RUQ pain. i don't really think there was any difference in terms of H&P and management"
"are you sure you didn't notice any difference?"
it basically went on and on

it's easy to judge how others answered questions when you are sitting comfortably in front of your computer but things do get awkward and intense when you are being questioned like this
just my 2 cents

i think OP made a good point though. I have encountered several interviewers who simply asked really awkward and insensitive questions... and it wasn't easy to answer properly

one asked me, "based on your ability to speak *an Asian language*, have you encountered any patients who only speak *the language*? Yes? What differs those patients from your regular patients?"
i was kinda shocked by the interviewer.... i said to him, "One said patient was a tourist and he came in with a RUQ pain. i don't really think there was any difference in terms of H&P and management"
"are you sure you didn't notice any difference?"
it basically went on and on

it's easy to judge how others answered questions when you are sitting comfortably in front of your computer but things do get awkward and intense when you are being questioned like this
just my 2 cents
Def agree. There are at least as many awkward interviewERs out there as bad interviewees.

Yeah, for posting pictures of himself with his clothes off, flexing, in the middle of a departmental presentation. Get a grip.

This is nowhere near an illegal question. Welcome to the real world, where your CV is an open book for questions. I'm guessing you listed "scheduling" as your responsibilities? Tough cookies, it's fair game to ask about. I suggest you learn to steer the conversation to your positives. Yes, we've all had interviews not going the way we want - learn to deal with it.

You'd have no ground to stand on to file a complaint. But I say go ahead if you feel like it. Just be ready to land a spot on the DNR list faster than you can say "whiney."

Last edited:
Well, I didn't say I was going to complain..... I was just wondering about being blacklisted like the muscle-ortho guy.

Like I said, I briefly said that I tried to do D, which by itself is one of the simplest task of all. I guess it just came out too simple (On the other hand, you would look like an ass if you try to make that sound fancy). I had no idea that it would be perceived negatively. Hell, no other interviewers asked me about D because they all focused on A B and C.... Know what I'm saying.

It's almost as if you wrote about how you made the pecan pie for Thanksgiving dinner and the interviewer asked you how did you get the pecan nuts and you simply said, "at the store?" while other interviewers asked you "HOW" you made the pie.

It's almost as if you wrote about how you made the pecan pie for Thanksgiving dinner and the interviewer asked you how did you get the pecan nuts and you simply said, "at the store?" while other interviewers asked you "HOW" you made the pie.

as was said above, you don't get to pick what aspects of your resume the interviewer finds interesting. You just offer it up like a buffet, and be ready to talk about whatever obscure tangent spikes his/her interest. If the person is interested in where you got the pecans, you run with it, or you find a way to steer the conversation back to the aspects you want to talk about. You don't get to minimize an interviewer as asking the "wrong" questions. All non-illegal questions are right ones. Your job is to make sure you know how to sell yourself even if the interview takes unexpected turns.

To OP, just drop the subject. Stop worrying about it.