A med school thinks I'm a medical minority applicant??

desertrat12

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
**I found an old thread about this from 2009 but am reposting barring the possibility that something has changed between then and now**

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out what might be happening here. I received an e-mail from a medical school this morning that opened with the following:

"We received notification of your intention to apply to medical school based upon your decision to participate in the AAMC Medical Minority Applicant Registry"

Puzzled I did some searching and found that this the Med-Mar is something you can select when registering for the MCAT. I must have mistakenly selected this option when registering. I am American/white/right handed/middle class/yada yada yada and about as non minority as it gets, I don't want medical schools thinking I'm trying to pass off as a minority. I e-mail Med-Mar in hopes to get my named removed.

Anyone been through this or have ideas on what to do? With application season in full swing I definitely don't want any unnecessary hiccups!

Aug 26, 2013
Status
Non-Student
It seems like that's really all you could do. You could consider emailing each and every school you applied to, put that seems like a bit of overkill right off the bat. I bet they'll be able to take you off the list. Completely unrelated, love your username and avatar... Repping St. George ;)

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
**I found an old thread about this from 2009 but am reposting barring the possibility that something has changed between then and now**

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out what might be happening here. I received an e-mail from a medical school this morning that opened with the following:

"We received notification of your intention to apply to medical school based upon your decision to participate in the AAMC Medical Minority Applicant Registry"

Puzzled I did some searching and found that this the Med-Mar is something you can select when registering for the MCAT. I must have mistakenly selected this option when registering. I am American/white/right handed/middle class/yada yada yada and about as non minority as it gets, I don't want medical schools thinking I'm trying to pass off as a minority. I e-mail Med-Mar in hopes to get my named removed.

Anyone been through this or have ideas on what to do? With application season in full swing I definitely don't want any unnecessary hiccups!
Just email them about it and clear it up, shouldn't be a big deal.

Some desperate users on SDN would kill to be in your shoes right now (see the many "how can I lie about being URM" threads) :D

Good luck this cycle!