A message from the "DO Queen"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone in Virginia has a bitter streak in them. Although it may make you feel better to lash out at those who have med school acceptances, leaving nasty "anonymous" messages on MDapps is pretty sad.

So, since it's highly likely that I'm going to be choosing MD over DO, let me tell you folks why.

First off, I made it very clear from the start that I was applying MD and DO. A doctor is a doctor to me and I wanted to maximize my chances. My first acceptance was from CCOM, and I find the school to be amazing. The DO philosophy is something I identify with and I could see myself fitting well at CCOM.

I also had an interview and a later acceptance at SIU and wound up on their AWPA list. SIU is a great school as well and I am interested in them for many reasons, mostly being that it's my alma mater, it's a state school (meaning I can save $$), and my mom went there, so there's tradition as well.

Apparently the MDapps poster from Virginia feels that I'm a sell-out because I ended up choosing MD over DO. By their colorful choice of words, they also felt that my stats were not appropriate for obtaining an MD acceptance as well. They also imply that they know me well enough to call me fake and "if only people knew". Strange since I don't know anyone who lives in or near Herndon (or maybe I do :idea:).

Anyway, I'm sure most of you know the DO degree is not less of a degree because someone chooses to go the MD route. In my case, there are a lot of factors like money and ties to the school, not the quality of the education. I'm still holding my CCOM place because my mind isn't completely made up. I still have one more interview with a rural med program through UIC. Rural medicine is what I want to do, and that's the premise of RMED and SIU. CCOM, even though it's DO, is an urban/suburban school.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify why I might pick MD over DO - there are threads every now and then about it. In addition, I also want to tell the person in Virginia - you are a coward - and to let people know mdapps isn't for mocking your fellow applicants.

Good luck to the rest of you in this cycle and starting the next one.

Members don't see this ad.

i applied md and do. my md schools were mainly ones local to me as well, and they're not even state schools. people have too much time on their hands. congrats to you. you earned it, they didn't, they hate you for it.

what's also funny is that i was pretty much completely 99.9% sold on DO, until i interviewed at an allopathic school which i ended up loving. I was recently speaking to my old doctor, guy i shadowed, close friend now, who has been a practicing DO for over 30 years now, PCOM class of 70. He told me straight out, after i had spoken to him about the dilema I was going though (MD vs. DO), if you get into an MD school, go MD. I was a bit puzzled as to why someone like him would suggest that to me, and he simple answer was that the doors open a little easier for you as an MD.

still a bit odd to hear coming from a long practicing DO with heavy ties in the osteopathic associations in PA.

I know others have received little hate mail messages and I just find it plain rude. I decided not to put up with it any more. Plus, applicants need to know that this sort of thing validates MD=DO (at least in my eyes). If the price was right, I would have taken CCOM in a heartbeat. It's only 45-60 minutes from home and I'll have to move for the others.

Thanks for the nice words superfan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Booooo! People are so stupid, especially when they don't know about IP address trackers :smuggrin: How lame . . .

Don't worry about the haters Meg, you're awesome and Prions :love:'s you!

No such thing as earning a medical school acceptance, they are granted, not earned... ;)

Anyway, congrats girl, don't pay attention to haters :thumbup:

I agree. That poster was a complete coward. I also agree with your reasoning in choosing SIU. Speaking for most of the regular posters in the SDN pre-DO/DO students, we all recognize the fact that you respect and think highly of the DO degree, rightfully so. Good luck and congrats on getting into medical school, both MD and DO. :thumbup:

Thanks peeps. I went through a lot of blood, sweat, and tears with MD and DO applicants this year, and starting August (some in July!) we'll be MS-1s together, not MD or DO labeled whatever. Meh.

Anyway, maybe we could just make this the thread for decision making about MD v. DO or something - no flames allowed (please) (thank you).

P.S. that comment is available for your amusement on my mdapps. no need to comment - just chuckle.

It's pointless and unnecessary to explain yourself to idiots. Even if you had chosen MD over DO simply because MD is more recognizable, thats fine. It's your choice. If someone trys to portray you as, "selling out", they are playing up an imaginary rivalry between DO and MD our of anger/jealousy/frustration.

Also, taking to heart an anonymous comment on your MDApps profile is inane. Just delete/ignore it, and move on.

It's pointless and unnecessary to explain yourself to idiots. Even if you had chosen MD over DO simply because MD is more recognizable, thats fine. It's your choice. If someone trys to portray you as, "selling out", they are playing up an imaginary rivalry between DO and MD our of anger/jealousy/frustration.

Also, taking to heart an anonymous comment on your MDApps profile is inane. Just delete/ignore it, and move on.

I thought about that, too, but do kind of feel bad since I was/am such a big supporter of the DO way. I don't feel I sold out, but some may wonder WTF.

And you're right, btw :)

And to make matters worse, SIU just got their butts handed to them by ISU. Worst b-ball game I've sat through in a loooong time.

OP you could have solved this privately, no need to make a thread about it. We get it, your sigs shows your intentions.

megboo you definitely don't have any explaining to do. You have very valid reasons for choosing SIU over CCOM if that's the decision you end up making. Southern Illinois representin'! Holla!!! (Sorry I was channeling Ellen Degeneres there for a moment.) :p By the way I kept meaning to tell you congrats on your AWPA at SIU. :clap: :banana: Definitely let us know what you decide. Plus if you end up at an MD school with an DO haters you can set them straight by telling them how awesome we all are. :D

Thanks you guys.

I'm celebrating and have had my fill - this is not a congratulatory thread :oops:!

I'm just sick of the bashing going on.I know others have received pissy messages via SDN, mdapps, etc. and I have in the past too. I'm just putting my foot down and giving the big F U to people who can't deal (with me or any other of the killer pre-DO posters).

Members don't see this ad :)
you make the best choice for you, no one can decide that but yourself. you took that initiative and are going where you wanted to be, end of story. next time, don't feel obliged to publically defend your choice - you almost give those trolls clout by doing so. rock on with your MD self and good luck in the fall!

I use to like you megboo but you are seriously selling out DO nation!!

Just kidding... If I got into a state md school (although I didn't bother applying), I would go there in a second due to the simply fact that I'd be saving .1 million dollars. A doctor is a doctor is a doctor. I'm sure you'll be a great doc wherever you go :thumbup:

By all means, everyone should choose the school best for them based on their individual situation.

When we're all PGY-3 on hour 70 of an 80 hour week, no one will care about their co-workers degree letters if they're helping them get their job done efficiently.

The biggest factor is fit. Which school is the best fit for you. It's the only consideration in my mind because it is all factors; end of story.

There will always be critics, get used to it(MD or DO.....blah blah).

The biggest factor is fit. Which school is the best fit for you. It's the only consideration in my mind because it is all factors; end of story.

There will always be critics, get used to it(MD or DO.....blah blah).

Oh believe me, I get my daily criticism. That doesn't mean I have to roll over.

Oh believe me, I get my daily criticism. That doesn't mean I have to roll over.

That's fine. Be strong and don't take **** from everyone, but all that I meant is that in all phases of your life SOMEONE will be critical of you. It could be out of jealousy, fear, greed.....Basically, right now you've got something that some people think they deserve. Something that they feel they worked hard for, yet they still don't have it. For that reason, right now, you will have someone on your back. I read your profile on mdapps and, considering your issues in year 1 and 2, there is no reason that you shouldn't be considered for med school; DO or MD. You will do fine, and I'm not being critical myself. I'm just tired of all the freaking b*tch*ng that has been going on here at SDN lately. What do you expect though; it's crunch time on another app cycle. Some people have been rejected for the umphteenth year in a row and they aren't happy about it, so they are willing to take it out on anyone they can (aka you in this case).

yeah it's a hairy time in the app. process now and true colors spark off. I don't mind criticism - my career and future career can't function properly without it.

But there's no good reason for anyone to be mean about it - to ANYONE.

You're on the money dadandpredoinmo.

Oh boy, I'll bet this turns into a train wreck.

At any rate, it's your life and your decision so why do you give a damn what other anonymous people on an internet forum think, whether good or bad?

It's your decision. Your reasons for going from "DO Queen" to a proud MD students are yours and yours alone.

It's your decision. Your reasons for going from "DO Queen" to a proud MD students are yours and yours alone.

The DO Queen is not a self-appointed title if you are following along.

BTW - to the person harassing me on mdapps - do you think you haven't been found out yet? :laugh:

I gave you a warning there and am doing it here that your IP makes you easily identifiable.

Stop being so creepy.

I've gotten all kinds of **** on mdapps. I've gotten probably equal parts of "you're stupid for applying to MD schools" and "you're stupid for not waiting to hear from MD schools", which is interesting. I've also gotten things along the lines of "you're a douche", and a bunch of other general stupid insults. I take comfort in the fact that I don't care at all.

I've gotten all kinds of **** on mdapps. I've gotten probably equal parts of "you're stupid for applying to MD schools" and "you're stupid for not waiting to hear from MD schools", which is interesting. I've also gotten things along the lines of "you're a douche", and a bunch of other general stupid insults. I take comfort in the fact that I don't care at all.

I feel so naive, but I'm really surprised at the last part. You're a pretty likeable guy.

I sort of feel like the internet is 'revenge of the nerds'

all the people that sit back in the corner with all of this pent up anger and insecurity all the sudden become the Terminator's cousin on the internet and attack because they don't do it in real life, so anyone that comes across as having half a shred of self-confidence or ability is fair game for them to tear down

Really you should take it as a complement because it shows that it appears you have your act together, you are envy-able, otherwise they would leave you alone

Lok -
yes it would save a lot of $$$. My parents live about 30-40 minutes from the school and have offered to let me shack with them. But only for the ast year b/c the other 3 are in Springfield. Plus the SIU tuition is 1/2 CCOM's.

Lok -
yes it would save a lot of $$$. My parents live about 30-40 minutes from the school and have offered to let me shack with them. But only for the ast year b/c the other 3 are in Springfield. Plus the SIU tuition is 1/2 CCOM's.

1/2? That's ridiculously large savings. High tuition is truly one of the biggest bane of Osteopathic schools.

heeey!
i got an interesting comment on MDapplicants.com as well :hardy:

mine is an insult combined with a compliment....very creative! :thumbup:

check it out:
"what is wrong with you idiot. **** DO. study for the mcats and kill them and you have an EXCELLENT shot at MDs. dont be a *****"

gotta love the anonymity of the internet! however, its not SO anonymous....i used this website to find the location of the person as being in Mooresville, NC.
-matt

Ok after a series of nasty posts and questionable PMs, I'm out.

Good luck to you all, and if I do decide to go DO then look for me to post in the osteopathic medicine section. Otherwise, I'll be hanging in the lounge waiting for school to start.

Mods, feel free to close this thread. It's not longer an issue for me, and we don't need any more drama around these parts.

I'm really sorry to hear you got nasty posts about choosing MD over DO. I think you've been very upfront about your decision making process and your desire to go to SIU all season long. If I get into Nebraska, I will be making the same decision as you due to not having to move and that it is half the tuition. I actually feel my opportunities to do what I want may be better at KCUMB than at my state allopathic but the tuition break is too much to pass up. There's a lot of factors that go into making the decision. You're the only one that knows what's best for you. Don't worry about the negative posts and just don't let them get to you. I know that's easier said than done though.

I really think tension has gotten high on these forums lately as people realize that they may not get in, or get into the school they want to, or are unsatified with the way they played out the interview season. A lot of people are trying to blame anyone but themselves. It's really sad and I have to agree with Laura, I kind of liken SDN to Attack of the Nerds. Really there's no reason to let it get to you. Good luck and I hope you get into your choice school and have the future you really want!

heeey!
i got an interesting comment on MDapplicants.com as well :hardy:

mine is an insult combined with a compliment....very creative! :thumbup:

check it out:
"what is wrong with you idiot. **** DO. study for the mcats and kill them and you have an EXCELLENT shot at MDs. dont be a *****"

gotta love the anonymity of the internet! however, its not SO anonymous....i used this website to find the location of the person as being in Mooresville, NC.
-matt

You should hunt them down and make them pay. :rolleyes: Yeah make them pay:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.