a pretty good but EXTREMELY worried applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbly22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a 20/20/18 DAT, 3.7 science and 3.8 cumulative gpa, plenty of volunteer, leadership, shadowing, and extracirricular activities, went to a 3rd world country to volunteer, loves to sculpture, and is a concert pianist, etc, etc.

I've gotten rejected so far to UF and Tufts, been accepted to Nova (don't want to go there at all), and interviewed at 4 other schools besides this. I'm extremely worried i won't get in anywhere. I feel as though many other applicants less competent than me have gotten in while I've gotten rejected. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people, and it seems like it happens a lot here on sdn- good applicants just not getting in while applicants worse than them getting in? Well there has to be something wrong with the admissions committee at some schools. My interviews went well at both schools, so yeah now i'm a little worried about my other schools cause i havent heard back from them yet....

Members don't see this ad.

i have a 20/20/18 DAT, 3.7 science and 3.8 cumulative gpa, plenty of volunteer, leadership, shadowing, and extracirricular activities, went to a 3rd world country to volunteer, loves to sculpture, and is a concert pianist, etc, etc.

I've gotten rejected so far to UF and Tufts, been accepted to Nova (don't want to go there at all), and interviewed at 4 other schools besides this. I'm extremely worried i won't get in anywhere. I feel as though many other applicants less competent than me have gotten in while I've gotten rejected. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people, and it seems like it happens a lot here on sdn- good applicants just not getting in while applicants worse than them getting in? Well there has to be something wrong with the admissions committee at some schools. My interviews went well at both schools, so yeah now i'm a little worried about my other schools cause i havent heard back from them yet....

But you did get in somewhere...you got into Nova! Instead of complaining that you feel like you haven't been given a fair deal, be happy that you have someplace to go next year. I have several friends that would kill just to get a single acceptance to anywhere! Someplace is better than no place at all!

Perhaps you should re-evaluate your attitude....

maybe consider it a privilege that one school has already accepted you...

Honestly for me thats how I looked at it I was happy to be accepted anywhere and consider it a privilege to be going to dental school at all...

Yes all that stuff you mentioned makes you sound like a great applicant but honestly, I play concert violin, have better dat scores and about the same GPA and got denied at a lot of schools as well... ITs kinda a hit or miss and if you match what they are lookin for....

Why apply to NOVa if your not going to go to school there...

Any way Im sure your thinkin what I just said is BS and what the hell do I know but attitude is everything and I can for sure empathize with your frustration.. Keep your head up it is what it is and it will play out the way it will play out you have no control over that really...

If it was me id be extatic that I was accepted at all..... Just my .02

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps you should re-evaluate your attitude....

maybe consider it a privilege that one school has already accepted you...

Honestly for me thats how I looked at it I was happy to be accepted anywhere and consider it a privilege to be going to dental school at all...

Yes all that stuff you mentioned makes you sound like a great applicant but honestly, I play concert violin, have better dat scores and about the same GPA and got denied at a lot of schools as well... ITs kinda a hit or miss and if you match what they are lookin for....

Why apply to NOVa if your not going to go to school there...

Any way Im sure your thinkin what I just said is BS and what the hell do I know but attitude is everything and I can for sure empathize with your frustration.. Keep your head up it is what it is and it will play out the way it will play out you have no control over that really...

If it was me id be extatic that I was accepted at all..... Just my .02

Ha, i was going to write that too but I thought it would be too harsh. :laugh:

Ha, i was going to write that too but I thought it would be too harsh. :laugh:

WE obviously were thinking the exact same thought at the exact same time your post was literally right there when I hit post.....

Id wager he or she is a younger applicant just a guess... Any way Yeah it does sound harsh but then again whining bout not going to a certain school is kinda petty when hundreds of ppl would be happy to have the chance to go anywhere at all... :idea:

Nova is a good school....if you don't get in anywhere, let me just say that it is not a bad school to get your degree.

Agree. Many people would love to go there.

Nova is a good school....if you don't get in anywhere, let me just say that it is not a bad school to get your degree.

.. been accepted to Nova (don't want to go there at all),... I'm extremely worried i won't get in anywhere.... I feel as though many other applicants less competent than me have gotten in while I've gotten rejected ....Well there has to be something wrong with the admissions committee at some schools....

I dont want to sound to harsh but If you want to be offended that schools are not giving you the respect you feel you're due then next time get a better DAT score.. If you had a 23 or something i would say you had more of a right to complain.. But 20 these days seems to be just about average..

I know its upsetting when a school rejects you. And when its after interviewing, it seems like a personal insult. Ive had a couple my self this cycle. I still dont know what it is Adcoms want but am very grateful I was accepted this cycle. Though I had 4 Pre-Dec 1st interviews, I had to wait until January 29th for an acceptance.. I think that the 2 month wait has helped me put things into perspective... I really have come to appreciate the acceptances I've now received and realize that getting into any dental school is a great achievement

Be happy you're in!:D
You've Succeeded!

Considering that there were approximately 12,000 applicants this cycle, and that many well qualified people were not accepted due to the lack of spots . .

You won't be getting much sympathy. Plenty of people would be so grateful to be in your position with an acceptance in hand.

If you didn't want to go to Nova, then you should not have applied.

Maybe an attitude adjustment is in order. . . .

I feel as though many other applicants less competent than me have gotten in while I've gotten rejected. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people, and it seems like it happens a lot here on sdn- good applicants just not getting in while applicants worse than them getting in? Well there has to be something wrong with the admissions committee at some schools.

Wow, I hate statements like these. With that attitude those rejections seem more than justified.

Like others have said. You have an acceptance, so be grateful.

Well there has to be something wrong with the admissions committee at some schools. My interviews went well at both schools, so yeah now i'm a little worried about my other schools cause i havent heard back from them yet....

You're right, it's their problem. You'd think after sorting through 3000+ pieces of coal you would notice the diamond. OK, I'll back off of the sarcasm now. I'm guessing you didn't accept the spot at NOVA. So, what did you dislike about the school? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm curious about your opinion.

Now, all I know about you is that you have a good GPA, decent DAT scores, a healthy list of bullet points on your resume, and a post where you come off as rather haughty. I certainly don't know if you are as cocky as I want to believe you are, but I would be lying if I said that my first impression won't color the way I look at the rest of the information you supply here. NOVA seemed to like you enough, hopefuly the other schools will too.

I haven't volunteered in a 3rd world country am not a concert pianist and have a lower GPA. I am worse then you????

You got into dental school yet you complain about it. Maybe those worse applicants, have positive qualities that can't be seen on an application. Maybe a good personality and a positive additude. AddComms are good at smelling B.S.

You're a selfish meanie if you are being serious. You got in somewhere and are complaining that you didn't get into your #1 top choice. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:(:(:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I don't know why everyone is being so cruel. The OP just wanted to vent. Yes everyone made a lot of good points, however, I think we should all cut him some slack....

Yes, you should be very thankful that you've recieved any acceptance at all, especially in this highly competitive application cycle. That said, I know of multiple people who were accepted to a school that they had no desire to attend, and reapplied and were accepted to more schools this round (I believe there are some people on the board like this as well).
While we all know that it doesn't really matter which dental school you go to and they put out qualified dentists, it does make a difference whether or not you're happy where you are. Think about NOVA (which is a good school), and if you know you definitely won't be happy there, think about reapplying next cycle (But keep it mind, it might only get more competitive).

--> But you also mention that you have 4 schools you've yet to hear from. Wait it out, they might offer you a spot. Whatever you end up doing, good luck!

i'm sure all of the other people who were accepted ahead of you were just a little bit more competent...

Wow, I don't know why everyone is being so cruel. The OP just wanted to vent. Yes everyone made a lot of good points, however, I think we should all cut him some slack....

Yes, you should be very thankful that you've recieved any acceptance at all, especially in this highly competitive application cycle. That said, I know of multiple people who were accepted to a school that they had no desire to attend, and reapplied and were accepted to more schools this round (I believe there are some people on the board like this as well).
While we all know that it doesn't really matter which dental school you go to and they put out qualified dentists, it does make a difference whether or not you're happy where you are. Think about NOVA (which is a good school), and if you know you definitely won't be happy there, think about reapplying next cycle (But keep it mind, it might only get more competitive).

--> But you also mention that you have 4 schools you've yet to hear from. Wait it out, they might offer you a spot. Whatever you end up doing, good luck!

If you need to vent, its ok, but not on a website forum that has many people willing to give their first born for a single acceptance. Thats what your actually friends are for. Its late in the game and the last thing other people want to read is how a stuck up guy/gal has an acceptance to a good school and is complaining on not getting into anywhere else. Especially when his DAT scores are nice but not that impressive.

wait a year and reapply.

Plenty of people have posted how they got into xyz school but are still hoping for an acceptance from their #1 choice. There's nothing wrong with that, and those people will get plent of "hope you get in" and "wish you luck" type of responses.

This poster rubbed people the wrong way because of how the post was worded. You aren't going to get warm fuzzies when you post without thinking or come across as arrogant. Many of the posters on this forum are very nice and will offer advice/encouragement as needed. But these same posters will also give it to you straight if you expect kudos/sympathy without it being warranted.

Many well qualified people will not be accepted this cycle because there are simply not enough spots. It has nothing to do with them not being "good enough" because many are extremely well qualified. So if it appears that the original poster wants kudos for his good stats or sympathy because he doesn't have multiple acceptances, he's not going to get those warm fuzzies. Because there are those who have equally good if not better stats who don't even have one acceptance! A sense of entitlement and saying that "something wrong with the admissions committee at some schools" just because you weren't accepted and putting down others by saying "good applicants just not getting in while applicants worse than them getting in" is going to offend those who worked hard and deserve to be accepted. That is why this guy is getting so much flack . . . because he posted without thinking and offended people. And if the poster thinks about the comments that are being made and doesn't take it personally, he could actually come away with a better awareness of others.

dude's getting flack because in one sentence he claims that he was "accepted to nova", and the very next he's worried he "won't get in anywhere."

school's can smell arrogance a mile away....

jb!:)

should have gotten at least a 22 for consideration...
23 or 24 is I think a pretty score and 25 26... that is plastic surgery ****

You sound like a very competitive candidate. I can understand that you want to go to a school that you prefer. Have you tried calling the schools you haven't heard from or sending them a gentle note reminding them that you are very, very interested in their school. It may not help, but it couldn't hurt, provided you're not pushy. I hope you hear some good news. Good Luck. Lesley

Its never a good idea to belittle the only school that accepts you. I would've been happy to get accepted at ONE school.

I'd be happy if I could get in anywhere.

Sometimes DAT scores and GPA don't mean much; it's actually the whole application package they look at.

I got accepted to almost all the schools that I applied to, and have a significantly lower GPA than you.

AND I don't think I am "less competent" than you. I think you are the one "less competent" cuz you are, in a way, criticizing the validity of the acceptances people got with lower stats than you.

honestly, something must be wrong with your application. Stop pointing out applicants "worse than you."

I think NOVA is a great school and also a great place. No worry about snow, girls or fun. To tell you the truth, I dont think you deserve to go there at all!

OP: The biggest question is obviously why would you apply to a school that you would not attend if accepted?

If you do have to reapply next cycle be ready to answer this question at interviews. Throwing away an opportunity may raise questions to your level of commitment to becoming a dentist in the eyes of other adcoms.

I was asked at a few of my interviewers, "what would you do if you weren't accepted this year?" The questions were twice followed by, "what if you only get into your "safety" school, but not your #1, 2, etc?" After my answer along the lines of the opinions held by most on this forum that I would be happy to go anywhere, both times the adcoms told me that as much as they thought their given school was awesome, if given the opportunity anywhere I should take it. There are no guarentees the next time around. No matter where you go you will still be a competent dentist.

I hope you weren't stubborn enough to turn down the spot at Nova, but good luck with your other schools if you did.

To OP: Such is life! It's not always fair or logical. It is hard to say what adcoms are looking for. While many who may be 'less qualified' than you have gotten in, these is also alot of people who have comparable resume who are still waiting for that 1 acceptance for one reason or another. If you didn't apply to that many schools, maybe you want to consider trying again if still got the time and maybe take a year to do something else, and maybe improve your DATs even more. I think it is very important to be somewhere you willl be happy to live for four years. While in the end the degree is the same, I do believe the process is equaly important. I do hope that you end up being happy, but also be mindful that you still have a pretty great oppertunity getting into NOVA.

dude's getting flack because in one sentence he claims that he was "accepted to nova", and the very next he's worried he "won't get in anywhere."

school's can smell arrogance a mile away....

jb!:)

apparently, nova can't...:laugh: