A question about how a residency applies cutoffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XDO3232

Reaction score
To the point -- I'm wondering if programs who have a cut off of for COMLEX of 500 would remove me from consideration regardless of my USMLE score. Anyone have any insight into this?

I am a 3rd year DO student with a 491 on Level 1 who is studying for the Step 1. I have a predicted of 220, so assuming I actually obtain that score, would I still be removed from programs that cut off students below 500? Are they considered seperately? I have contacted 3 PDs and have heard widely different things so I was hoping to hear from anyone who might be more familiar with the situation.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

To the point -- I'm wondering if programs who have a cut off of for COMLEX of 500 would remove me from consideration regardless of my USMLE score. Anyone have any insight into this?

I am a 3rd year DO student with a 491 on Level 1 who is studying for the Step 1. I have a predicted of 220, so assuming I actually obtain that score, would I still be removed from programs that cut off students below 500? Are they considered seperately? I have contacted 3 PDs and have heard widely different things so I was hoping to hear from anyone who might be more familiar with the situation.

Thank you in advance.

You've contacted three different PDs who have given you different answers and your hope is that someone here - not a PD - can tell you what's what? Sorry but that doesn't make any sense.

The reason you're hearing different answers is because every single program is different. They don't all do the exact same thing. Just apply where you want to go and hope for the best. That's all anyone can tell you.

Reactions: 4 users
You've contacted three different PDs who have given you different answers and your hope is that someone here - not a PD - can tell you what's what? Sorry but that doesn't make any sense.

The reason you're hearing different answers is because every single program is different. They don't all do the exact same thing. Just apply where you want to go and hope for the best. That's all anyone can tell you.

Trying to obtain more information on this doesn't make sense to you? An n = 3 of about 250+ programs didn't seem like a representative sample to me. I tried to contact more but I only heard back from 3, so I decided to post here.

Thank you for your reply otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
All programs are different.

Ride the anxiety and apprehension wave like every one else.

Apply broadly, see what shakes down. Only way to find out. SDN won't be able to give you the answer, or peace of mind you seek. Good luck and surf well.

Reactions: 1 users
The filters operate like this:

Give me a list of everyone with x and y and not z.

Each user can make their own filters. One PD might generate one list of everyone with comlex 1 > 500 OR step 1 > 220. You're good. Another might make these as two seperate lists... You'd still be on one. A third can make a list that says every with no comlex 1 under 500 and no step fails. A step 1 of 270 won't get you by this filter.

As everyone has said, there is no universal answer to this question, so apply appropriately to programs that take DOs.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless a program interviews a lot of DOs, the USMLE is what is looked at if there is one. Very few ACGME programs have enough of a DO pool to make DO to DO comparisons meaningful. If you have USMLE scores, this is what is being held up next to the other applicant's USMLE scores.
Good COMLEX with good USMLE scores is obviously better, but if you were to choose which one to do well on, I say USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless a program interviews a lot of DOs, the USMLE is what is looked at if there is one. Very few ACGME programs have enough of a DO pool to make DO to DO comparisons meaningful. If you have USMLE scores, this is what is being held up next to the other applicant's USMLE scores.
Good COMLEX with good USMLE scores is obviously better, but if you were to choose which one to do well on, I say USMLE.

Right, but the poster is asking a different question. There are programs out there that have a COMLEX cutoff of 500. They claim not to look at your app if you score below a 500 on COMLEX. The OP wants to know if they'll really apply this filter (i.e. not see his application). That is the definition of an impossible question to answer. Programs do what they want. If they say they have a filter, they likely have a filter. Can the PD have a good day and say "ah, to hell with the filter, let's see all the apps and judge accordingly?" Sure. The OP already got three widely different answers from PDs. It won't be helpful to ask us the same question when most of us are not PDs (and ones who are in this forum don't disclose it) and have no control or insight into what PDs at our institutions do.