A question about pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daydream46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have a BS in Bio can you still get a PharmD w/o having to redo your undergrad?

My school said Id need to do an additional 4 years... (which if this is the case I can't do it)

Is there like a 2 year program or anything offered by other schools for students with a BS in something else?

Members don't see this ad.

I know they have accelerated schools that go 3 straight years with no time off, BUT you need a B.S. to get into a program. The short answer is that you will be doing 3 - 4 years after your Bachelor's Degree if you want a PharmD.

I know they have accelerated schools that go 3 straight years with no time off, BUT you need a B.S. to get into a program. The short answer is that you will be doing 3 - 4 years after your Bachelor's Degree if you want a PharmD.

Sucks, because I wish I knew about the program at my school before, because its 6 years total... bummer

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a BS in Bio can you still get a PharmD w/o having to redo your undergrad?

My school said Id need to do an additional 4 years... (which if this is the case I can't do it)

Is there like a 2 year program or anything offered by other schools for students with a BS in something else?

You in fact don't need a BS to get into 80% of programs. It is getting more competitive, but a BS is not a requirement for many schools. What you haven't told us: Whether you've taken the prereq's, how many yeas ago you took the classes, what schools you are looking at.... will matter more.

With a BS, I'd stay away from 0-6 schools...because you'd be considered a transfer, and its tough to get in that way.

you don't need a bachelors to go into most pharmacy programs. You can do a accelerated 3 year pharmd. program, but you still need to do the prereques. (which takes about 2 years to do, if you don't have a bs in bio).

So quickest way in and out of pharmacy for a person with no college experience is 5 years (2 yrs jc + 3 yrs pharmd program). Keep in mind though, in order to do this, you need to plan your classes really well, drop no classes, and make sure you have done the prereq. needed to get into the bio/chem classes, give up your summer, and maintain a high gpa. You need to have your crap together. Many people can't handle the course load, but if you are willing, you can do it (i did it in 1 and 1/2 years actually).

Before I went to college, I printed the prereq. sheet from 3 pharmd programs, and then I broke it down (ex. if all schools required chem, that would be the first class I took, if only one school required biochem, i took that last). I then drew up a spreadsheet of classes to take, and in what order to take them, and which schools I would be eligible to apply first based on the classes I took. The spreadsheet was great, because at the end of 1 and 1/2 years, I was eligible to apply to 3 schools. If I didnt get in that year, the next year, i would be done with additional prereq that made me eligible to apply to pretty much any pharmd program. Also, because I did the spreadsheet way, I spread out the bio classes, and chem classes, to the point that I never had a hard bio class with a hard chem class. I was able to maintain a 3.9 gpa.

good luck.

Assuming that you are done with all the prereqs, have a solid gpa, pcat, experience and all that other good stuff you could apply to a 3 year program and get your PharmD. There are a list of 3 year schools in the FAQs section. Pharmcas launches toward the beginning of the summer so you should start getting your stuff together if you plan to apply for entry in Fall '09.

I think most people on this forum have a BS degree, some have 2 - no special benefit to having a BS degree besides the fact that it makes you more competitive.;)