Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

A question about prereqs expiring

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by HowConfusing, Aug 1, 2015.

1. HowConfusing

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hi, I've been lurking in this forum for quite awhile and have finally decided to come out of hiding to ask a question.
    I am very seriously considering applying to vet school and I am starting a class in the fall to try to knock out the few pre-req classes I'm lacking. My dilemma is that I have noticed that the program I'd like to attend (which is the in-state program) states that all math and science courses must have been completed within eight years of the fall semester in which application is made. Since I started my classes in Fall of 2007, this could be a huge issue. I was wondering if this is a hard and fast rule? I tried searching through the forums and though it is mentioned several times, I haven't seen anybody actually discussing it. So, if it's out there and I missed it (which is very likely lol) just point me in the right direction. :) I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but I graduated with a PharmD in 2013 and the last chemistry class I took would be med chem in the spring of 2011. I currently work as a hospital pharmacist. I also need to add that I would be looking at applying in about 2 years due to some constraints. Thanks for any help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. that redhead

Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

You can always contact the admissions office of that particular school to double-check, but I'd plan to re-do any outside of the eight year time frame.

HowConfusing likes this.
  4. HowConfusing

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yeah, that'd be much more reliable, guess I was just seeing if I would get lucky and find somebody else who had encountered this lol
    Thanks!

5. Posey

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Your best bet really is to contact your school directly. Policies vary by school. I'm a non-traditional student with a science undergrad that is quite a few years old. I've contacted each school individually because each one seems to have different variations of the policy. For example, some schools require me to take all pre-reqs within their time requirements, even non-science classes. Other schools will waive the non-science timeline since I have an undergraduate degree and work experience. One school told me that they never consider coursework "expired." Another school told me to take the non-science pre-reqs that I never took as an undergrad but not to worry about math (they'll take my original coursework). Something else to consider is that there may be case-by-case considerations at your target school; so even if one applicant is advised to complete coursework, you may have mitigating factors that result in a waiver.

Good luck!

LadyOtheFarm and HowConfusing like this.
  6. HowConfusing

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Thank you! That gives me a little tiny bit of hope!