A question for those on waitlists and no acceptances.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xanthomondo, May 14, 2007.

1. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How long are you going to wait before reapplying? I'm on three waitlists, and two of the three told me that don't start accepting students until "mid-June". I'd hate to fill out AMCAS 2008, submit it for $750, and then get accepted the next day. I also don't want to wait too long, not get accepted, and then be behind in the application process.

What are you going to do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I'm gonna start AMCAS 2008 in about a week from now to get the ball rolling. I know potentially losing $750 sucks, but it's better than getting behind in the app process. The major reason why I'm on waitlists AGAIN is the fact I applied late after I got my August MCAT.

As I've learned repeatedly on this site - apply early, apply early, apply early...

4. tredici

tredici Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ^ditto

im going to start re-editting my PS this week and get everything ready to submit in june.

5. uhohspaghettio

uhohspaghettio Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hi,
    does it really cost $750 to submit an application?

6. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I started editing my AMCAS. Its cool that your personal information and stuff are saved so you just have to edit it. I have more activities to put and more grades to enter, but at least its less painful. All I have to do is a new PS.

7. nabs86

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends on how many schools you apply to. There's a base fee and then it's something like $30 for each additional school. Pricing info should be somewhere on the amcas website.

8. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeahhh, it looks like its $160 for the first application and $30 for each one after.

9. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One very good idea I've seen on these boards is to fill out 2008 AMCAS, but initially apply to ONE school only. That way, your app fee will only be ~$190 or so and you can turn it in later.

Then, once more time goes by, if you don't get in off of any WLs you can add more schools. Adding more is easy- you simply go to your online AMCAS app, add the new school(s) and pay for them. And, since it'll take AMCAS a while to verify your stuff anyway, you won't have wasted any time.

10. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

I will be doing that. I have my AMCAS just about done and will submit it to one school initially. As I hear from my WL schools, I will add more if rejected (hopefully this is not the case) :luck:

11. Mr. Belding

Mr. Belding The Dude abides
    7+ Year Member

This is great for some schools, but of the 15 schools I applied to this year, I got secondaries from 5 before I was verified. Some schools distribute secondaries automatically upon AMCAS submission.

Great way to get in the queue without wasting a bunch of cash for the primary though.

12. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is this the only downside to doing this? I really like that suggestion; I think it's brilliant....but, if this causes a delay in secondaries then some of the benefit of early submission will be negated.

13. Mr. Belding

Mr. Belding The Dude abides
    7+ Year Member

It's a good way to go... if you add schools at a later date they get the verified AMCAS pronto.

14. MChitty

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel like if you get verified and start adding schools by July you will still be ok. A lot of people were saying that they weren't receiving secondaries until the end of July...but I could be wrong about that.

15. jstuds_66

jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The bad part about that is that you can't change your primary application at all. Last year, I submitted very early, then did a bunch of cool stuff over the summer that I couldn't include. Not all secondary apps are condusive to letting you explain what you have been doing. That's just something else to think about.