A question for those on waitlists and no acceptances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long are you going to wait before reapplying? I'm on three waitlists, and two of the three told me that don't start accepting students until "mid-June". I'd hate to fill out AMCAS 2008, submit it for $750, and then get accepted the next day. I also don't want to wait too long, not get accepted, and then be behind in the application process.

What are you going to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna start AMCAS 2008 in about a week from now to get the ball rolling. I know potentially losing $750 sucks, but it's better than getting behind in the app process. The major reason why I'm on waitlists AGAIN is the fact I applied late after I got my August MCAT.

As I've learned repeatedly on this site - apply early, apply early, apply early...

^ditto

im going to start re-editting my PS this week and get everything ready to submit in june.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
does it really cost $750 to submit an application?

I started editing my AMCAS. Its cool that your personal information and stuff are saved so you just have to edit it. I have more activities to put and more grades to enter, but at least its less painful. All I have to do is a new PS.

Hi,
does it really cost $750 to submit an application?

It depends on how many schools you apply to. There's a base fee and then it's something like $30 for each additional school. Pricing info should be somewhere on the amcas website.

It depends on how many schools you apply to. There's a base fee and then it's something like $30 for each additional school. Pricing info should be somewhere on the amcas website.

Yeahhh, it looks like its $160 for the first application and $30 for each one after.

I'd hate to fill out AMCAS 2008, submit it for $750, and then get accepted the next day. I also don't want to wait too long, not get accepted, and then be behind in the application process.

What are you going to do?
One very good idea I've seen on these boards is to fill out 2008 AMCAS, but initially apply to ONE school only. That way, your app fee will only be ~$190 or so and you can turn it in later.

Then, once more time goes by, if you don't get in off of any WLs you can add more schools. Adding more is easy- you simply go to your online AMCAS app, add the new school(s) and pay for them. And, since it'll take AMCAS a while to verify your stuff anyway, you won't have wasted any time.

One very good idea I've seen on these boards is to fill out 2008 AMCAS, but initially apply to ONE school only. That way, your app fee will only be ~$190 or so and you can turn it in later.

Then, once more time goes by, if you don't get in off of any WLs you can add more schools. Adding more is easy- you simply go to your online AMCAS app, add the new school(s) and pay for them. And, since it'll take AMCAS a while to verify your stuff anyway, you won't have wasted any time.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I will be doing that. I have my AMCAS just about done and will submit it to one school initially. As I hear from my WL schools, I will add more if rejected (hopefully this is not the case) :luck:

This is great for some schools, but of the 15 schools I applied to this year, I got secondaries from 5 before I was verified. Some schools distribute secondaries automatically upon AMCAS submission.

Great way to get in the queue without wasting a bunch of cash for the primary though.

This is great for some schools, but of the 15 schools I applied to this year, I got secondaries from 5 before I was verified. Some schools distribute secondaries automatically upon AMCAS submission.

Great way to get in the queue without wasting a bunch of cash for the primary though.
Is this the only downside to doing this? I really like that suggestion; I think it's brilliant....but, if this causes a delay in secondaries then some of the benefit of early submission will be negated.

Is this the only downside to doing this? I really like that suggestion; I think it's brilliant....but, if this causes a delay in secondaries then some of the benefit of early submission will be negated.

It's a good way to go... if you add schools at a later date they get the verified AMCAS pronto.

I feel like if you get verified and start adding schools by July you will still be ok. A lot of people were saying that they weren't receiving secondaries until the end of July...but I could be wrong about that.

The bad part about that is that you can't change your primary application at all. Last year, I submitted very early, then did a bunch of cool stuff over the summer that I couldn't include. Not all secondary apps are condusive to letting you explain what you have been doing. That's just something else to think about.