A question regarding attrition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qnesp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There's a question I'm faced with that I'm unsure of and I'm hoping someone here could assist me in solving it.

It reads: A patient comes to your clinic presenting with wear on the facial surface of his maxillary incisors, and on the lingual surface of his Mandibular incisors. What could be the cause of this?

The choices given are
A. Abfraction
B. Attrition
C. Angle class III occlusion
D. Erosion.

My answer is attrition as I thought that class III was placed as a misleading option. It couldn't be abfraction because abfraction occurs on the labial side of teeth (cervically). The reason I chose attrition is because:
1. Class III and attrition are 2 features that are mutually exclusive, meaning only a person with parafunctional habits would show this, and that not every case of class 3 shows attrition.

2. This also could be caused by grinding teeth in a protrusive position of a person with a nomal arch relationship, or a person with an anterior crossbite.

What do you guys think? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You're thinking too much....it is erosion most likely caused due to regurgitation/vomiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

There's a question I'm faced with that I'm unsure of and I'm hoping someone here could assist me in solving it.

It reads: A patient comes to your clinic presenting with wear on the facial surface of his maxillary incisors, and on the lingual surface of his Mandibular incisors. What could be the cause of this?

The choices given are
A. Abfraction
B. Attrition
D. Erosion.

My answer is attrition as I thought that class III was placed as a misleading option. It couldn't be abfraction because abfraction occurs on the labial side of teeth (cervically). The reason I chose attrition is because:
1. Class III and attrition are 2 features that are mutually exclusive, meaning only a person with parafunctional habits would show this, and that not every case of class 3 shows attrition.

2. This also could be caused by grinding teeth in a protrusive position of a person with a nomal arch relationship, or a person with an anterior crossbite.

I think it's attrition may be due to cross bite of anterior teeth.

Last edited:
Hello,

The choices given are
A. Abfraction
B. Attrition
D. Erosion.